Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(05-05-2024, 12:05 PM)Mabrams Wrote: Using numbers from Randal et al

All
Today          350,233
Dec 1 2023  245,254 
New            104,979

BigY    
Today          109,538
Dec 1          102,218
New               7,320

New - All     104,979
New - BigY     7,320

New FF        97,659   Approximate !!

Any day now, we could push over 100,000   

Approximate since the updating started around Dec 9 (?), not Dec 1.  And there are probably a few SNP Packs/Tests in those numbers.  And maybe something else I overlooked

The new total has been 358,651 for a couple of days now.   An increase of 8,418 over the previous 350,233.  
There have been zero BigYs added in the last couple of weeks.  Holding steady at 109,538. Maybe a rogue SNP Pack

Thus 97,659 plus 8,418 is 106,077 Family Finder updates.    Still an approximation.   But likely well over 100,000.

This number will probably skyrocket when older Family Finder kits are updated.   And a few MH transfers.

And a mildly interesting factoid. 109,538 vs 106,077. This might be as close to a 50-50 split as we see. Depending on the size of the next batch of FF updates.
rmstevens2, Riverman, jdbreazeale like this post
(05-07-2024, 02:25 PM)Mabrams Wrote: And a mildly interesting factoid.  109,538 vs 106,077.  This might be as close to a 50-50 split as we see.  Depending on the size of the next batch of FF updates.

The number of FF and SNP tested branch members exeeds that of BigY tested people in my own case already 3 : 2.
Another problem, beside the inability to see the FF tested branch members if they are no autosomal matches or haven't done another test, is that the vast majority gives no place of origin for the oldest known ancestor.
Among BigY testers, the percentage of people with "unknown" is much lower than in the FF group. Barely one in 10 has any information.
rmstevens2 and jdbreazeale like this post
It was possible to see if our bigyY match or STR match had FF autosomal test in Advanced comparison. However FTDNA removed that feature, and no longer they are marked. Unfortunately. However, we didnt know whether they were also autosomal tranfers.
rmstevens2 likes this post
I manage a FTDNA kit. The company has its low, like it never achieved its MTDNA quality test and asked me for MORE MONEY or "we will not test it" (cause it is in the little print that we can "not deliver you a test and ask you more money if our quality check fails twice"), and it has it ups: the kit went from a Y37 M-269 to NINE branches down with the FF expansion. Now waiting for their MTDNA expansion, as the guy I manage the kit refused to pay another 50$ to re-test the full MTDNA not delivered -also, they charge you 50$ and test ONE TIME, if their quality check fails, BAM! you lose this money also. Sad
(05-08-2024, 01:37 AM)Barbarroja Wrote: I manage a FTDNA kit. The company has its low, like it never achieved its MTDNA quality test and asked me for MORE MONEY or "we will not test it" (cause it is in the little print that we can "not deliver you a test and ask you more money if our quality check fails twice"), and it has it ups: the kit went from a Y37 M-269 to NINE branches down with the FF expansion. Now waiting for their MTDNA expansion, as the guy I manage the kit refused to pay another 50$ to re-test the full MTDNA not delivered -also, they charge you 50$ and test ONE TIME, if their quality check fails, BAM! you lose this money also. Sad
mtDNA expansion? That's not going to happen since mtDNA was not tested by Family Finder. Y-DNA was tested by FF. It costs money to test DNA which is why they charge for more tests when low quality samples are sent to them and tested.
I have access to a kit that is an older V2. His test was Y updated a couple of days ago.

His kit was updated a mere 4 levels.

That's rather grim. Hardly updated at all. Still extremely basal.

I do hope other kits get better updating than his did.
(05-08-2024, 01:49 AM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 01:37 AM)Barbarroja Wrote: I manage a FTDNA kit. The company has its low, like it never achieved its MTDNA quality test and asked me for MORE MONEY or "we will not test it" (cause it is in the little print that we can "not deliver you a test and ask you more money if our quality check fails twice"), and it has it ups: the kit went from a Y37 M-269 to NINE branches down with the FF expansion. Now waiting for their MTDNA expansion, as the guy I manage the kit refused to pay another 50$ to re-test the full MTDNA not delivered -also, they charge you 50$ and test ONE TIME, if their quality check fails, BAM! you lose this money also. Sad
mtDNA expansion? That's not going to happen since mtDNA was not tested by Family Finder. Y-DNA was tested by FF. It costs money to test DNA which is why they charge for more tests when low quality samples are sent to them and tested.

It´s totally strange that a YDNA was good but a MTDNA (being that mithocondria are 8x more easier to test) was "low quality" with the same pair of swabs. The tester was a healthy man, no smoke, no eat, nobody touch the swabs, made them carefully and for long time... meanwhile my other 4 tests where good being that one of my brother was like a garbage test: he smoked until the last minute, refuse to swab more than some seconds, don´t care about the swabs not touching anything and took a long time to reach them (more than 3 months since swabs were made, as Customs in my country stop the package). Also he made the total combo with BigY and FF (meanwhile the other just made a Y37 that needs less material sample to test than BigY). Bad luck I guess or bad lab there.

There are mtDNA SNPs on the Family Finder chip and FTDNA has already announced they will be adding mtDNA haplogroups for FF customers after they finish with the Y haplogroups. 

Introducing Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder Customers
Quote:What about mtDNA haplogroups?
We didn’t forget about mtDNA! Once the rollout of Y-DNA haplogroups is complete, we’ll begin work to bring mtDNA haplogroups to all Family Finder customers. You can expect an announcement regarding mtDNA haplogroups next year.
sirdan, jdbreazeale, ArmandoR1b like this post
(05-08-2024, 04:03 AM)randalgibbs Wrote:

There are mtDNA SNPs on the Family Finder chip and FTDNA has already announced they will be adding mtDNA haplogroups for FF customers after they finish with the Y haplogroups. 

Introducing Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder Customers
Quote:What about mtDNA haplogroups?
We didn’t forget about mtDNA! Once the rollout of Y-DNA haplogroups is complete, we’ll begin work to bring mtDNA haplogroups to all Family Finder customers. You can expect an announcement regarding mtDNA haplogroups next year.
Its good to be wrong
(05-08-2024, 02:23 AM)Mabrams Wrote: I have access to a kit that is an older V2.  His test was  Y updated a couple of days ago.

That's rather grim.    Hardly updated at all.  Still extremely basal. 

I'm not surprised. What is the haplogroup?
(05-08-2024, 02:23 AM)Mabrams Wrote: I have access to a kit that is an older V2.  His test was  Y updated a couple of days ago.

Among my matches the level of the update is extremely different from very basal (EBA) to very downstream (Medieval). So far it depends on the available SNP's, like if someone being assigned to the upper level above my main branch, I know it's usually because he falls into the parallel LBA branch to mine, which has no SNP's on its own which being tested in FF chips.

Did you check the SNP? Whether they are in the list?

By the way: I saw new BigY results among my matches recently, there doesn't seem to be a full stop on BigY processing.
(05-08-2024, 10:54 AM)Riverman Wrote:

Among my matches the level of the update is extremely different from very basal (EBA) to very downstream (Medieval). So far it depends on the available SNP's, like if someone being assigned to the upper level above my main branch, I know it's usually because he falls into the parallel LBA branch to mine, which has no SNP's on its own which being tested in FF chips.

Isn't the list just for GSA kits?
Riverman likes this post
(05-08-2024, 11:49 AM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 10:54 AM)Riverman Wrote:

Yes, you're right, but I wonder how different the yDNA SNP reads are, since these are largely old selected ones, if I'm not mistaken. I doubt the other chips have more, but only less?
(05-08-2024, 11:53 AM)Riverman Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 11:49 AM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(05-08-2024, 10:54 AM)Riverman Wrote: Among my matches the level of the update is extremely different from very basal (EBA) to very downstream (Medieval). So far it depends on the available SNP's, like if someone being assigned to the upper level above my main branch, I know it's usually because he falls into the parallel LBA branch to mine, which has no SNP's on its own which being tested in FF chips.

Yes, you're right, but I wonder how different the yDNA SNP reads are, since these are largely old selected ones, if I'm not mistaken. I doubt the other chips have more, but only less?
Yes, it's my expectation that the older ones will have less SNPs than the GSA FF kits based on what is found in 23andme v4 and AncestryDNA that weren't GSA. Some of the  haplogroups of those kits are really low resolution. FTDNA should provide the raw data and a list of negative SNPs. 23andme and Ancestry at least provide the raw data.
Riverman likes this post
My concern about the gentleman whose V2 test only advanced 4 levels is probably overstated.

I forgot that he actually belongs to an uncommon clade of R-M269 so that explains why only 4 levels.

But.....looking at SNPs, I dont see any evidence for testing P312.   Still in blue.   That would be a nice SNP to test. But it wasn't tested on the V3s either. So hopefully a decent sample of SNPs downstream of P312 get tested.

btw, there were 221 SNPs that tested positive    On the V3s, I tend to see 350 or more.
I dont know if 221 is a typical number for a V2. I suspect they are bit low since my gentleman did not follow a typical pathway.
ArmandoR1b and Riverman like this post