Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Update of comparison between autosomal DNA tests and recorded ancestry
Recorded ancestry gathered from past 40 years of research. Well referenced, most of it local. Well supported by DNA matches (genetic genealogy). Percentages are from Generation 6 (3 x great grandparents) 97% of which were SE English, mainly Norfolk East Anglian (plus East Midlands and Oxfordshire) and 3% was Swiss born.

Yes, I do have that exotic yDNA haplogroup, but that is way back.
Nqp15hhu, Rufus191, Jalisciense And 1 others like this post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The artist formerly known as A Norfolk L-M20
Good results! And I liked the table, did you do it in excel? Or what program?

What origin does your haplogroup have or where is it from?
East Anglian, lg16, Nqp15hhu like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
(03-11-2024, 10:08 PM)Jalisciense Wrote: Good results! And I liked the table, did you do it in excel? Or what program?

Google Sheets.

yDNA  - as in the personal column, L-FGC51036. Closest matches are another South English family. Above that at L-SK1414, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Lebanon, Turkmenistan, Pakistan.

A similar L on L-M349 recently turned up in a medieval Cambridgeshire cemetery. We L's are rare but we get about.
lg16, Jalisciense, Rufus191 like this post
(03-11-2024, 10:14 PM)East Anglian Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 10:08 PM)Jalisciense Wrote: Good results! And I liked the table, did you do it in excel? Or what program?

Google Sheets.

yDNA  - as in the personal column, L-FGC51036. Closest matches are another South English family. Above that at L-SK1414, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Lebanon, Turkmenistan, Pakistan.

A similar L on L-M349 recently turned up in a medieval Cambridgeshire cemetery. We L's are rare but we get about.
Can I ask what the 6% on Ancestry is, French, German, or Dutch Smile? Norwich is known to have both a large influx of Flemish weavers and slightly later French Huguenots.
East Anglian and lg16 like this post
(03-11-2024, 10:31 PM)Rufus191 Wrote:

Google Sheets.

Can I ask what the 6% on Ancestry is, French, German, or Dutch Smile? Norwich is known to have both a large influx of Flemish weavers and slightly later French Huguenots.

Ancestry's 'Germanic World' described as Austria, Belgium, Czech, France, Hungary, Lux, Slovenia, Switzerland.

Yes, East Anglia has always had links with Flems, the Dutch Strangers, Huguenots, etc. In a sense, the Anglo-Danish settlement never totally stopped. Medieval documents record Flemish harvest workers arriving following 1348. Their fishing and trading boats were always here. Even my grandfather was a farm worker for a Dutch Sugar Beet coop. They remapped the local landscape. Post medieval Dutch engineers drained parts of the Fens. 

The DNA companies cannot separate SE English from other Continental NW European. 23andme is horrendous for us, and I suspect that its British & Irish dataset is Irish, or even Irish-American. Living DNA should be better but isn't. Ancestry resolves it by including England with 'NW Europe'. Otherwise East Anglians get a chunk of Germanic and Scandinavian.
lg16 and Rufus191 like this post
(03-11-2024, 10:43 PM)East Anglian Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 10:31 PM)Rufus191 Wrote:

Google Sheets.

Ancestry's 'Germanic World' described as Austria, Belgium, Czech, France, Hungary, Lux, Slovenia, Switzerland.

Yes, East Anglia has always had links with Flems, the Dutch Strangers, Huguenots, etc. In a sense, the Anglo-Danish settlement never totally stopped. Medieval documents record Flemish harvest workers arriving following 1348. Their fishing and trading boats were always here. Even my grandfather was a farm worker for a Dutch Sugar Beet coop. They remapped the local landscape. Post medieval Dutch engineers drained parts of the Fens. 

The DNA companies cannot separate SE English from other Continental NW European. 23andme is horrendous for us, and I suspect that its British & Irish dataset is Irish, or even Irish-American. Living DNA should be better but isn't. Ancestry resolves it by including England with 'NW Europe'. Otherwise East Anglians get a chunk of Germanic and Scandinavian.

Interesting point about the Anglo-Danish settlement never stopping in the area! I suppose you could argue it a little similar to Kent with the Huguenot settlement in Canterbury and further to the west, was a continuation of likely Norman and more ancient continental migrations. A Dutchman, Cornelius Vermuyden was the man who led the first efforts to drain the Fens I believe, something about it here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventurer..._drainage)

I think in order to separate the SE English from Dutch, northern French, Belgian, NW Germans would require subtantial efforts and funding to create studies on similar lines to the People of the British Isles study and the Ireland DNA Atlas. I used to think the Normans were mostly Scandinavian, but if you look at the history of the region and pedigrees of prominent Normans, you realise that simply was not the case, indeed William the Conquerer had far more Breton ancestry than Scandinavian. And before the Normans arrived there, you had extensive settlement of Anglo-Saxons in the 3rd-5th centuries who presumably would also have later been absorbed into the Norman genepool. Interestingly on my own DNA matches, I have often found people who have high Norfolk/Suffolk ancestry to have high Scandinavian- this person is basically a reference sample for Norfolk/north Suffolk:

77% England & Northwestern Europe - East Anglia and Eastern Norfolk and Suffolk regions
19% Sweden & Denmark
4% Norway
East Anglian likes this post

Check for new replies