Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Chinese GEDmatch averages thread [repost]
https://np.reddit.com/r/23andme/comments...e_results/

Quote:My mom is born in Hong Kong and my dad is born in Amsterdam (his parents migrated from Hong Kong). My grandparents from my mom and dad sides are from Hong Kong. Their homevillage is in Hong Kong near the border of China. They lived in a small Hakka village where only Hakka people reside. I grew up in Amsterdam and with my parents and grandparents I speak Hakka. I learned Cantonese in Chinese school, so I can also speak that too.

[Image: OsHg6Fw.jpg]

Quote:100% Chinese, with details like 94.3% South Chinese and 5.7% Southern Chinese & Taiwanese. My Paternal Haplogroup is Q-M120, and Maternal Haplogroup is B5a.
anti-racist on here for kicks and giggles

“If you want to grant your own wish, then you should clear your own path to it”
― Okabe Rintarou

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”.
― Margaret Mead
Chinese American 23andMe results- parents from Shenzhen (both Guangdong Hakka)

81.6% Lingnan Chinese, 12.8% non-Lingnan Southern Chinese, 2.1% Northern Chinese, 3.1% Broadly Chinese. 99.6% Chinese total, 0.4% Trace
[Image: C9NoUmA.png]

Quote:Have always been curious about the trace ancestry (taking it with a grain of salt, of course) - at 90% confidence, the Spanish & Portuguese disappears, while 0.1% Central Asian remains.

Both parents are from Shenzhen:

Maternal haplogroup - D4g2a1 Paternal haplogroup - C-M217

Haven't had the chance to learn more about my family background, but this should be a good start!

― Okabe Rintarou

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”.
― Margaret Mead
r/23andMe regionally mixed Coastal North China + Lingnan results

Quote:Mom’s mother is from Guangxi and her dad is from Guangdong. Dad’s parents are from Hebei.
99.8% Chinese :
50.2% Lingnan [Guangdong],
42.8% Northern Chinese & Tibetan,
6.1% non-Lingnan Southern [Fujian, Jiangsu],
0.7% Broadly Chinese

0.2% Southern Indian & Sri Lankan

[Image: 8sckymx4gbmc1.jpg]

Quote:To be honest, I was expecting exactly 50/50 split between northern and southern Chinese, but I was perhaps hoping for the northern Chinese to be a bit more interesting or specific as I really don’t know a lot about my dad’s family (only that they’re from Hebei province and were coal miners). I was also surprised not to see Guangxi province featured more prominently as that’s where my whole mom’s family lives now and where my grandmother is from.

Maternal haplogroup is B4’5, which is 23andme claims is rare among its customers (1 in 11,000) but most commonly found in Chinese. I’m female so I guess no paternal haplogroup.

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
(03-20-2024, 02:31 AM)okarinaofsteiner Wrote: r/23andMe regionally mixed Coastal North China + Lingnan results

Quote:Mom’s mother is from Guangxi and her dad is from Guangdong. Dad’s parents are from Hebei.
99.8% Chinese :
0.7% Broadly Chinese

Quote:To be honest, I was expecting exactly 50/50 split between northern and southern Chinese, but I was perhaps hoping for the northern Chinese to be a bit more interesting or specific as I really don’t know a lot about my dad’s family (only that they’re from Hebei province and were coal miners). I was also surprised not to see Guangxi province featured more prominently as that’s where my whole mom’s family lives now and where my grandmother is from.

Maternal haplogroup is B4’5, which is 23andme claims is rare among its customers (1 in 11,000) but most commonly found in Chinese. I’m female so I guess no paternal haplogroup.

I don't think this Redditor is likely to delete their r/23andMe post like the previous person did, but here's the breakdown in text anyway
[Image: FltqsBP.png]
99.8% Chinese:
79.8% non-Lingnan [Taipei, Fujian + 15]
20.0% Lingnan [Guangdong + 2]

0.2% Anatolian

Quote:Her maternal haplogroup is F1a and her paternal haplogroup is O-CTS2498

Her mom's results: 70% Southern Chinese & Taiwanese, 29.6% South Chinese, 0.1% Siberian, 0.2% Anatolian, 0.1% unassigned

Her dad's results: 65.2% Southern Chinese & Taiwanese, 30.9% South Chinese, 2.2% Broadly Chinese, 1.2% Filipino & Austronesian, 0.5% Central Asian

r/23andMe- "My Chinese cousin's results. Surprised that she got no Northern Chinese at all despite having two grandparents from Shandong from her mom's side"
The OP also posted what she looks like in r/phenotypes.

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
(05-10-2024, 08:31 PM)okarinaofsteiner Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 02:31 AM)okarinaofsteiner Wrote: r/23andMe regionally mixed Coastal North China + Lingnan results

99.8% Chinese :
0.7% Broadly Chinese

I don't think this Redditor is likely to delete their r/23andMe post like the previous person did, but here's the breakdown in text anyway
[Image: FltqsBP.png]
99.8% Chinese:
79.8% non-Lingnan [Taipei, Fujian + 15]
20.0% Lingnan [Guangdong + 2]

0.2% Anatolian

Quote:Her maternal haplogroup is F1a and her paternal haplogroup is O-CTS2498

Her mom's results: 70% Southern Chinese & Taiwanese, 29.6% South Chinese, 0.1% Siberian, 0.2% Anatolian, 0.1% unassigned

Her dad's results: 65.2% Southern Chinese & Taiwanese, 30.9% South Chinese, 2.2% Broadly Chinese, 1.2% Filipino & Austronesian, 0.5% Central Asian

r/23andMe- "My Chinese cousin's results. Surprised that she got no Northern Chinese at all despite having two grandparents from Shandong from her mom's side"
The OP also posted what she looks like in r/phenotypes.

Another trace-Anatolian Chinese result

Quote:O-CTS12877. Trace Anatolian heritage 80% CI. It appeared on the X chromosome as well. No idea how it got there and thought it was interesting. Any insights appreciated.

95.5% Chinese:
65.0% Northern Chinese & Tibetan
29.2% non-Lingnan Southern
1.3% Broadly

2.7% Korean

0.9% Manchurian and Mongolian (North Asian)

0.8% Anatolian (Northern West Asian)

[Image: 8k7hia327hwc1.jpeg]

Quote:Mostly from Liaoning, with my grandfather side from Sichuan. But I did hear that my dad’s parents moved around a bit because of instability.

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
The trace Anatolian for many Chinese people is interesting. A vestige of ancient Central Asian incursions into China? Distant Uyghur ancestry?
Avatar: The obverse of a coin of Kanishka I depicting the Buddha, with the Greco-Bactrian legend ΒΟΔΔΟ.

Follow my attempt at reviving Pictish.
Romanes-lekhipen- the Romani alphabet.
(05-13-2024, 08:37 PM)szin Wrote: The trace Anatolian for many Chinese people is interesting. A vestige of ancient Central Asian incursions into China? Distant Uyghur ancestry?

West Eurasian admixture among Northern Chinese isn't that unusual; Razib Khan has repeatedly pointed out that many of the G25 Han samples from northern China exhibit 3-5% "West Eurasian" admixture, which makes sense given the history of the Silk Road and Northern China historically being invaded and conquered by (proto) Turkic and Mongol tribes from the steppes, who were substantially admixed with West Eurasian steppe peoples.

I remember former Anthroscape member uisashi (who is of full coastal Shandong + southern Manchuria Han ancestry) scored trace amounts of West Eurasian on certain GEDmatch calculators that I (being 25% Tianjin Han and 25% Manchu on paper) did not have on those same calculators.

It shouldn't be that unusual for Taiwanese or Cantonese people to score trace levels of West Eurasian either. The Taiwanese and Cantonese languages are basically standardized registers of the local spoken language of the port cities of Xiamen and Guangzhou respectively. Guangzhou has been a major international port ever since the Pearl River Delta region was conquered by China, while Xiamen is near the port city of Quanzhou which was a major international port during the Song Dynasty. Most of the ancestors of modern-day Taiwanese Han emigrated from southern Fujian around Xiamen, Quanzhou, and Zhangzhou; it stands to reason that a decent minority of the South Chinese colonists had trace levels of "barbarian" trader ancestry.

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead

Check for new replies