Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Distribution of Y-chromosome DNA from around the world
(12-15-2023, 04:09 PM)Pylsteen Wrote: For your interest may be the lineage E-V13>BY77657 .

I know that very well, fascinating branch. Single upstream German lineage from Czechia, huge Serbian subclade (not well tested at FTDNA, but its known) and then two English (including the lineage of president Johnson) before the Ashkenazi founder from the early Medieval period. Clearly a proselyte from somewhere in Central Europe I'd say.
(12-15-2023, 02:53 PM)Riverman Wrote: Ashkenazi do more DNA testing in general and are overrepresented for all regions in which they lived, relatively speaking. This is particularly noteworthy for countries like Ukraine, Belorussia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Austria and Hungary. This just completley ruins the local ethnic populations percentages. Its not the Ashkenazi testers fault, its great they test so much, but we just can't use these numbers for the local population, since they are not representative. If a population had say 3 percent Ashkenazi Jews, the percentage among testers might by far exceed that number, let's say 20 % of the testers might Ashkenazi. That's a massive shift for all the frequencies in a region. 

Concerning haplogroup, the main difference between ethnic Hungarians and Ashkenazi from Hungary is the exact subclade, because in Europeans E-V13 is most common, in Ashkenazi other subclades like downstream of E-M34. There are some Jewish branches under E-V13, but those don't matter that much percentage wise, while E-M34 really does.

You can instantly see that on the frequency map for E-M34:
https://discover.familytreedna.com/y-dna.../frequency

In Europe, the hotspots are not like otherwise expected in the South, but in the Central and Eastern European countries with significant amounts of Jewish testers. Belarus has more than Greece and Turkey, which simply wouldn't be the case if counting ethnic Belorussians/Slavs only.

As for R1b, its not just Jews, but Germans also, which likely increase R1b vs. R1b. However, the borderline between Hungarian and German is way more blurred since the Germanic/German contribution is at the roots of many modern ethnic Hungarians. Still if someone has a paternal lineage which was all German in the last generations, it should be counted separately.

My answer to your post would be my previous post. Indeed, they seem to be overrepresented, and this is precisely the point. But overrepresented at what degree? I would say that's open. Additionally, as I said, there would be differences in relation to the numbers from FTDNA even if we were capable to perfectly subtract their Y-DNAs. Notice that the % of R1b and E, for instance, remained the same.

I would say, too, that Belarus etc. are not Hungary, in the sense that this assumed overrepresentation must be less pronounced in the latter. G2b itself could be an "easier" reference one more time, already accepting G2b and non-G2b G ratios in Ashkenazi wouldn't vary that much in different parts of Europe. As suggested in my previous post, from the FTDNA database, G2b would be abt. 8% of the Gs in Hungary. Let's consider that 100% of the G2b are Ashkenazi, for a matter of simplification. Using the circle view posted by Pylsteen, we could say, still based on the FTDNA database, that only about 13% of the Gs in Hungary (5.72%) would be Ashkenazi.

Doing the same exercise for Belarus leads to quite different numbers. The G2b would be abt. 36.6% (far from 8%) here, and, using the same circle view, we'd get a total of abt. 58.5%, that is, from FTDNA database, almost 60% of the Gs in Belarus would be Ashkenazi. The difference between the two countries seems clear when it comes to this assumed "overrepresentation".

(12-15-2023, 03:35 PM)Pylsteen Wrote: For reference, Ashkenazi haplogroup frequency, based on what I found in the FTDNA discover tool last month (with pre-research in Avotaynu's and Penninx' lineages), I will discuss this topic in a later moment.

Thank you for this very useful reference.
(11-12-2023, 07:50 PM)Riverman Wrote: In most regions R-U106 is between 18-26 with Wuerttemberg West (18), Franconia (19), North Baden (18), Wuerttemberg West-Baden South (19), Switzerland (23), Saarland-Palatinate (20), Bavaria (24) , Hesse South (21), West Prussia (21), Eifel (26) significantly higher only in Lower Saxony (29), and significantly lower only in the East, like East Prussia (13), East Pommerania (7). Lower medium values for Silesia (16), Alsatia-South Baden (15).

Was there any data for Schleswig-Holstein as well?
(02-04-2024, 05:17 PM)NewEnglander Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 07:50 PM)Riverman Wrote: In most regions R-U106 is between 18-26 with Wuerttemberg West (18), Franconia (19), North Baden (18), Wuerttemberg West-Baden South (19), Switzerland (23), Saarland-Palatinate (20), Bavaria (24) , Hesse South (21), West Prussia (21), Eifel (26) significantly higher only in Lower Saxony (29), and significantly lower only in the East, like East Prussia (13), East Pommerania (7). Lower medium values for Silesia (16), Alsatia-South Baden (15).

Yes, according to the newer table 34 samples from that country of which about 8,33 % were E and at least 5,56 % E-V13. That's not that far from other results, but 34 samples is not that much.

Eifel/Mid-Rhine hat 75 samples by comparison, some others about 90-100, 34 is a small sample. Most of the distribution goes along tribal borders in my opinion, with specific Germanic and Slavic tribes having significantly more (like Mosel Franconians, Franconians from North Bavarian, Swabians in Alsace-Baden etc.) and others less (Bavarians, Frisians etc.). A clear centre is in the Rhenish Franconians and Swabians.

Bavarians have less E-V13 in their core region, according to some preliminary results, than say Danes, Dutch and English, which would be astonishing if it holds up. Numbers for all of Bavaria can't be used, because the Northern Franconians have lots of Slavic E-V13 and Franconian also, the Swabian areas of Bavaria have higher frequencies too, so do the German settlers in Bohemia and Austria.
(02-04-2024, 05:33 PM)Riverman Wrote:

Yes, according to the newer table 34 samples from that country of which about 8,33 % were E and at least 5,56 % E-V13. That's not that far from other results, but 34 samples is not that much.

Eifel/Mid-Rhine hat 75 samples by comparison, some others about 90-100, 34 is a small sample. Most of the distribution goes along tribal borders in my opinion, with specific Germanic and Slavic tribes having significantly more (like Mosel Franconians, Franconians from North Bavarian, Swabians in Alsace-Baden etc.) and others less (Bavarians, Frisians etc.). A clear centre is in the Rhenish Franconians and Swabians.

Bavarians have less E-V13 in their core region, according to some preliminary results, than say Danes, Dutch and English, which would be astonishing if it holds up. Numbers for all of Bavaria can't be used, because the Northern Franconians have lots of Slavic E-V13 and Franconian also, the Swabian areas of Bavaria have higher frequencies too, so do the German settlers in Bohemia and Austria.

Thank you - sorry if I wasn't clear, I was asking about R-U106.
(02-04-2024, 08:20 PM)NewEnglander Wrote:

R-U106 being at 25,93 % in SH according to the newer table. The highest percentages coming from Lorraine/Luxemburg, at 30,17 %, but from a rather small sample size as well (38) and East Frisia/Oldenburg with 30,22 % (sample of 50). 31,62 % from Westphalia/Kassel (sample of 37).
NewEnglander and JMcB like this post
(02-04-2024, 09:12 PM)Riverman Wrote:
(02-04-2024, 08:20 PM)NewEnglander Wrote:

R-U106 being at 25,93 % in SH according to the newer table. The highest percentages coming from Lorraine/Luxemburg, at 30,17 %, but from a rather small sample size as well (38) and East Frisia/Oldenburg with 30,22 % (sample of 50). 31,62 % from Westphalia/Kassel (sample of 37).

Thank you!
Anyone know of any stats on the modern frequency of R1b-BY14355, especially in China, Mongolia, Turkey, and the Central Asian countries?
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
I’m sure you are aware you can do it via FTDNA discover, but other than that I’m unaware.

Bhutan 5%
Russia (Republic of Dagestan) 3%
Bahrain 1%
Albania 1%
Tajikistan 1%

Every other country is below 1%
rmstevens2, Riverman, JMcB like this post
U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>FGC12381>FGC12378>FGC47869>FGC12401>FGC47875>FGC12384
50% English, 15% Welsh, 15% Scot/Ulster Scot, 5% Irish, 10% German, 2% Scandi, 2% French & Dutch), 1% India
Ancient ~40% Anglo-Saxon, ~40% Briton/Insular Celt, ~15% German, 4% Other Euro
600 AD: 55% Anglo-Saxon (CNE), 45% Pre-Anglo-Saxon Briton (WBI)
“Be more concerned with seeking the truth than winning an argument” 
(02-05-2024, 12:52 PM)Mitchell-Atkins Wrote: I’m sure you are aware you can do it via FTDNA discover, but other than that I’m unaware.

Bhutan 5%
Russia (Republic of Dagestan) 3%
Bahrain 1%
Albania 1%
Tajikistan 1%

Every other country is below 1%

Yeah, thanks. I was looking for something a little more comprehensive. FTDNA's customer base is naturally limited in the places BY14355 is likely to be most frequent, like China, Mongolia, Central Asia, and Turkey.

That Russia/Dagestan result is interesting, as is the result from Bhutan.
Riverman likes this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1

Check for new replies