Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

What is your favorite food ?
(10-19-2023, 07:33 PM)Capsian20 Wrote: My favorite food local
Pastilla 
Rafissa
Seffa 

I like also food e
Pasta 
Pizza

What about you ?

Indian. Also like Thai and Mexican. Favourite European food by far would be Spanish. That said I can cook that stuff v well so unless it’s a take away or meal out i’m usually eating typical local meat and potatoes type food :0(
rmstevens2, JMcB, Dts And 3 others like this post
I mostly grew up with my mum, her Mauritian father and my stepfather who was adopted (we think he was half-Pakistani) so we ate a lot of spicy food growing up.  My favourite foods are Indian, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Jamaican.
Dts, JonikW, Æsir And 5 others like this post
Mixed European and Mauritian Creole (Mozambican, Malagasy, Chinese and Indian).  
(10-23-2023, 03:37 AM)Gray Fox Wrote: Italian food

Mexican food

American food- Burgers, BBQ, fried chicken etc.

Chinese food

One that I see regularly on YouTube is Brits reacting to/trying American biscuits and gravy. Seriously, to anyone who hasn't tried it, try it if you get the opportunity. I prefer my own, but most restaurants (here in the south anyways) serve some variation of it. Fix some of that with some good hash/hashbrowns, eggs (I prefer scrambled) and some bacon. Thats a meal I can eat any time of the day!

My grandma always made chipped beef gravy and we had them on pancakes.  The pancakes were the size of your plate.  So you had to go easy on the gravy or it would run off the pancakes on the table.  Another staple that I can't find in Pittsburgh is King's Corn Syrup.  I have to buy it in Virginia when I go down.  But you put peanut butter on your pancakes and then coat it all down with King's Corn Syrup.  You really can't beat it.
JonikW, JMcB, Capsian20 And 2 others like this post
(10-24-2023, 09:59 AM)leonardo Wrote:
(10-24-2023, 01:35 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I love biscuits and gravy, especially sausage gravy. I was raised on that, among other things.

A lot of people don't understand what we mean when we say "biscuits and gravy" though. I think the British call "biscuits" what we call "cookies".

My mother always used Bisquick mix for her biscuits, but there are other brands.

[Image: bisxuits-and-sausage-gravy.jpg]

I chop all that up and mix it together, sometimes with grits and/or with hashbrown potatoes. That's the way I like it.

That's sausage gravy in the photo above. Without the sausage the gravy is just kind of smooth and white. My mother always referred to the plain white gravy as "chicken gravy", but I'm not sure why, because chicken is not part of the ingredients. Maybe it's because it was frequently served with chicken, especially over mashed potatoes.

Same thing with the dish known as Pittsburgh City Chicken. There's no chicken in it. I guess chicken is so popular that they used to refer to it to appeal to people's appetites?
https://polishhousewife.com/city-chicken...an-recipe/

Speaking of Pittsburgh, my ex-wife's mother grew up on the South Side Slopes and is Slovak.  All four of her grandparents were born in the Czech republic, and many of my firsts were at her house.  My first pierogis, halupki, halushki, cirak or hrudka which is egg cheese, paska bread.  For Easter you would put thin slices of hrudka and kielbasa on the paska bread and top it with fresh grated horseradish.  She still sends extras home for me with my son even though I am divorced.
Capsian20, JonikW, leonardo And 2 others like this post
I have to say that I really like just about any kind of food. I am pretty adventurous and will try most things at least once. I grew up in Virginia so we ate mostly southern type of dishes. As mentioned above, we ate a lot of beans. Usually black eyed peas with beef tail stew and after the holidays my grandmother always cooked down the ham bones with beans, usually great northern beans. I tried my first fried plantains with rice in Aruba when I was there on vacation and now I am addicted to fried plantains, which, fortunately for me, my brother's wife cooks a few times a year as she is Puerto Rican. During the summer, Wholey's in the Strip District in Pittsburgh has Chesapeake Bay steamed Blue Crabs and we usually buy a couple dozen twice a month and eat them outside with cold beer. One of my favorites and when I can find them fresh, fried soft shell crab sandwiches. My ex-wife's mother, I still call her mother-in-law, introduced me to Slavic dishes, and I till cook halushki, cabbage, kielbasa, and noodles fairly often. My current wife is ethnic Hui, Chinese, which means she is Muslim. We eat a lot of beef and lamb, and she makes the best cumin lamb I have ever had. She tricked me into eating Jellyfish once. Not my favorite, but I kept it down. It doesn't have much of a taste to it, but the consistency is just how it looks. The closest I came to getting sick was when we were in China and my wife's brother boiled down a large amount of lamb/goat bones. I still can't get a definitive answer from her on whether it was goat or sheep. Anyway, we all sat around the table eating the meat remnants off the bones and slurping out the marrow. We also drank a large amount of baijiu, which is essentially Chinese vodka. It is fermented, then distilled sorghum and runs about 56% ABV. I was getting drunk and between eating the marrow and hearing everyone sucking it out of the bones, my stomach started to turn and my wife kept giving me more marrow. I finally had to ask her to stop giving me marrow or I was going to vomit. That was a rough day. I find now that most American dishes are pretty bland after being with my wife for nearly 10 years. I do miss my grandmother's cooking, though. Particularly her fried chicken. She would pan fry the chicken then bake it, it really was the best. Sometimes if you are lucky you can still find and mom and pop style convenient store off the beaten track in Virginia that has home fried chicken.
Æsir, rmstevens2, JonikW And 3 others like this post
(10-31-2023, 07:30 PM)Webb Wrote:
(10-24-2023, 01:35 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I love biscuits and gravy, especially sausage gravy. I was raised on that, among other things.

A lot of people don't understand what we mean when we say "biscuits and gravy" though. I think the British call "biscuits" what we call "cookies".

My mother always used Bisquick mix for her biscuits, but there are other brands.

I chop all that up and mix it together, sometimes with grits and/or with hashbrown potatoes. That's the way I like it.

That's sausage gravy in the photo above. Without the sausage the gravy is just kind of smooth and white. My mother always referred to the plain white gravy as "chicken gravy", but I'm not sure why, because chicken is not part of the ingredients. Maybe it's because it was frequently served with chicken, especially over mashed potatoes.

Same thing with the dish known as Pittsburgh City Chicken. There's no chicken in it. I guess chicken is so popular that they used to refer to it to appeal to people's appetites?

Speaking of Pittsburgh, my ex-wife's mother grew up on the South Side Slopes and is Slovak.  All four of her grandparents were born in the Czech republic, and many of my firsts were at her house.  My first pierogis, halupki, halushki, cirak or hrudka which is egg cheese, paska bread.  For Easter you would put thin slices of hrudka and kielbasa on the paska bread and top it with fresh grated horseradish.  She still sends extras home for me with my son even though I am divorced.

My great aunt's husband was Slovak. He was from Braddock. He was born the A-H empire, in what is now Slovakia. His father fought in WW1 for the A-H emperor. I remember him being a slight man. My great uncle was always full of sayings from his native land and was a funny guy when sober. When not, he wasn't so much. He would take a leaf off the tree and play it like a harmonica. My great aunt made some of those foods but being from Pittsburgh, most people have had kielbasa, pierogies, haluski, golabki and Paska bread by the time they can run - at least back in the 1960s and 1970s..
Webb, JMcB, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
(10-31-2023, 07:57 PM)leonardo Wrote:

My great aunt's husband was Slovak. He was from Braddock. He was born the A-H empire, in what is now Slovakia. His father fought in WW1 for the A-H emperor. I remember him being a slight man. My great uncle was always full of sayings from his native land and was a funny guy when sober. When not, he wasn't so much. He would take a leaf off the tree and play it like a harmonica. My great aunt made some of those foods but being from Pittsburgh, most people have had kielbasa, pierogies, haluski, golabki and Paska bread by the time they can run - at least back in the 1960s and 1970s..

Pittsburgh was really my first experience with ethnic food.  Virginia didn't have much of this when I was growing up.  There were a few Italian restaurants and at that time a couple of nice sit down Chinese restaurants, but that was it.  Pittsburgh was also my first experience of having french fries on salads and sandwiches.
JMcB, JonikW, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
(10-31-2023, 08:09 PM)Webb Wrote:

Pittsburgh was really my first experience with ethnic food.  Virginia didn't have much of this when I was growing up.  There were a few Italian restaurants and at that time a couple of nice sit down Chinese restaurants, but that was it.  Pittsburgh was also my first experience of having french fries on salads and sandwiches.

Happy Halloween everyone. My sister in law and niece have just relocated to live with us from Russia and we've been celebrating. My niece started at primary school today and couldn't wait to go trick or treating for the first time ever tonight. She came back with a massive haul and we had our traditional Halloween meal that I invented many moons ago. She designed the pumpkin and I carved it, and it presided over our feast with its own candle and many others around it. My original recipe, posted below as jotted down at the time, was designed for two adults and two nippers. We added to the ingredients considerably tonight. 

Roast chestnuts, squeeze out of shells
Fry sausage meat from five sausages and an onion in olive oil
Add garlic, three cloves
Tin tomatoes
Rosemary, thyme, dried basil. (Small sprig of rosemary and thyme chopped)
Red wine, big glug
Pinch of cinnamon and paprika
Tomato paste
Chestnuts, small portion compared to sausage, maybe twelve to fifteen chestnuts
Sardinian malloredus pasta, less than a full pack
Cook sauce, turn off but keep hot every now and then, cook pasta, add sauce to massive pan with pasta when pasta is cooked
Parsley at end and grated Sardinian cheese

EDIT: Sorry Webb, hit reply to you there but should have just posted. My technical skills leave a lot to be desired. I'll blame my full stomach. :-)
JMcB, Æsir, Webb And 4 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(10-31-2023, 08:09 PM)Webb Wrote:

LOL. Yeah. We put fries on our salad - say a steak or chicken salad, and we put them on sandwiches. Primanti Bros. sandwich shop is best known for this.
rmstevens2, Capsian20, Gray Fox And 3 others like this post
Another food I really like - right up there among my favorites - is roast beef and gravy with rice, including celery, carrots and some potatoes cooked with the roast beef. The gravy has to be made from scratch from the roast beef drippings (i.e., the fat).

I also really like the pub grub in Wales, SW England, and in Ireland. I've never been to Scotland, so I can't talk about the pub grub there. Meat pies are fantastic. Steak and kidney pie is wonderful. I've never seen it here. Guess I'll have to make it myself.
Capsian20, JonikW, jdean And 3 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Sorry for another post so soon, but speaking of pub grub made me think of Shepherd's Pie, which is one thing that is readily available here in the USA, and which I truly love. My wife even makes it and does an outstanding job. Shepherd's Pie is one of the best things to eat. Love it!

[Image: Shepherds-Pie.jpg]
Gray Fox, JonikW, Running4Borders And 2 others like this post

Here is a photo of my dinner today: a What-A-Burger #2 (Double Cheeseburger) meal. My wife and youngest daughter are gone to Virginia to visit one of our sons for New Year. I'm here by myself babysitting our dog.

I love What-A-Burger, by the way. I pity people who live in those uncivilized parts of the world that don't have What-A-Burger.

[Image: whataburger-in-Gilmer-TX-30-Dec2021.jpg]
Capsian20, JonikW, Rober_tce And 2 others like this post

Uff I have many (Without specific order):

-Tortas ahogadas
-Pizzas
-Burgers
-Sushi
-Choriqueso
-Lasagna
-Camarones a la momia/Mummy Shrimp
-Tacos de birria
-Tacos de barbacoa
-Tacos campechanos
-Enfrijoladas
-Flautas con pollo (With Chicken)
JonikW, rmstevens2, Capsian20 And 1 others like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
from my time in southeast asia def a major major fan of peranakan
beef rendang and honey pork every day any day
though never ever had it since i came back but reliving the taste its def the best i ever had
rmstevens2, leonardo, ronin92 And 2 others like this post
Nordic
Italian
Spanish
Cajun/American
Thai
Nepalese
leonardo, Capsian20, rmstevens2 like this post
Viking + Early Slav (6.153)
Viking + Kievan Rus (6.486)
Viking + Ostrogoth (7.664)
Viking + Scythian (7.684)