Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Post pictures of your ancestors
MGM, date and place unknown. She appears to be a teen.
[Image: SbEjHcE.jpg]
Orentil, Square, rmstevens2 And 6 others like this post
great great grandmother in Hamburg 1909, born 1860 in Husum/Northfrisia
Orentil, JonikW, Gray Fox And 5 others like this post

Attached Files
.jpg   1909 Anna Koch.jpg (Size: 25.29 KB / Downloads: 175)
Known ancestry: Mecklenburg 39.4%, Hamburg 11.7%, Brandenburg 10.1%, Schleswig-Holstein 8.5%, Rheinland-Pfalz 7.7%, Niedersachsen 7.1%, Thüringen 5.5%, Denmark 4.7%, Czechia 1.8%, Hessen 1.6%, Austria 0.8%.
Genetic ancestry: Germanic Europe 64%, Sweden&Denmark 33%, Scotland 2%, Baltics 1% (ancestry).
Ancient ancestry: Yamnaya 48.0%, Anatolia 37.6%, WHG 14.4% (Davidski). Langobards, Scandinavians, Goths, Caledonian, Germania Magna.
Iron Age: Germanic 58.4%, Continental Celt 30.8%, Balto-Slavic 7.8%, Roman Italy 3%.
My great-grandfather 1878:

[Image: oRwDwLf.jpg]
Albruic, JonikW, CelticGerman And 7 others like this post
maternal grandma working (period 1927-1933)
ph2ter, Gray Fox, JMcB And 5 others like this post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Known ancestry: Mecklenburg 39.4%, Hamburg 11.7%, Brandenburg 10.1%, Schleswig-Holstein 8.5%, Rheinland-Pfalz 7.7%, Niedersachsen 7.1%, Thüringen 5.5%, Denmark 4.7%, Czechia 1.8%, Hessen 1.6%, Austria 0.8%.
Genetic ancestry: Germanic Europe 64%, Sweden&Denmark 33%, Scotland 2%, Baltics 1% (ancestry).
Ancient ancestry: Yamnaya 48.0%, Anatolia 37.6%, WHG 14.4% (Davidski). Langobards, Scandinavians, Goths, Caledonian, Germania Magna.
Iron Age: Germanic 58.4%, Continental Celt 30.8%, Balto-Slavic 7.8%, Roman Italy 3%.
Maternal great grandfather Jones. This is the only surviving pic of him and I only got it after DNA matching a long lost first cousin of my late mum who had a copy. My Welsh miner great grandfather worked in the pits for 40 years, barely seeing daylight with the long shifts they worked for pitiful wages. But he obviously took a pride in his appearance. His son, my grandfather, never went anywhere without his suit and trilby hat either.

[Image: Screenshot-20180918-100907-copy-1069x1900.png]
leonardo, ph2ter, rmstevens2 And 6 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
And my paternal grandmother in Bristol in the 1930s (pictured on the left). She died in her 90s and was one of the main influences on my life. She was a Lewis from Wales on one side and from a Dorset family on the other. I owe her so much in many different ways.

[url=[Image: IMAG5093-BURST002-1-copy-2736x1824.jpg]][/url]
JMcB, Gray Fox, Dts And 6 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
Here's a photo of one of my maternal great grandmothers, Nora Lancaster (married name Morris), with her kids and a teenaged niece (at her left). The little blond baby on her lap is my maternal grandmother, Lela Ollie Morris. 

Nora Lancaster is also my most distant known mtDNA ancestor. I haven't been able to get beyond her on that line.

I don't know the name of the female child to my great grandmother's right because she apparently was born and died in between censuses. She is not named in the 1900 U.S. census and was dead by the 1910 U.S. census, because it says my great grandmother had five children, but only four were living. No girl child is named in the 1910 census of the right age to have been her. The other two children were born after this photo was taken, and one of them was a boy.

[Image: Lancaster-Nora-with-kids-and-niece-Katie-Morris.jpg]
JMcB, Square, Gray Fox And 7 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Okay, here's another: one of my paternal second great grandfathers, Captain John Holmes, Quitman Guards, Company E, 16th Mississippi Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA. That means he was a captain in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War. He began as an enlisted private. He was the father of my paternal great grandmother, Jonnie Taylor Holmes.

Captain John Holmes served in every major engagement in which Lee's Army of Northern Virginia was involved, including Gettysburg, except First Manassas (Bull Run), until he was captured near Petersburg, Virginia, during the battle for the Weldon Railroad in 1864. He was sent to the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, DC, and then transferred to the prison for officers at Fort Delaware. He was part of Stonewall Jackson's "Foot Cavalry" during Jackson's Valley Campaign in the spring of 1862.

On my mother's side they fought for the Union. I guess it's a good thing they didn't run into each other back then.

[Image: Captain-John-Holmes.jpg]
Capsian20, Square, JonikW And 4 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
First is of my maternal great Aunt. Second is of my great, great Grandmother
rmstevens2, JonikW, JMcB And 2 others like this post

.jpg   342519019_945236866678851_7610392925352878645_n.jpg (Size: 31.52 KB / Downloads: 94)
First pic is my maternal great, great grandparents. Second is my maternal great, Grandfather on the left.
leonardo, JonikW, rmstevens2 And 2 others like this post

Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother in both pictures along with siblings and children. They played Bluegrass and Gospel. We used to have a live bluegrass band play at our family reunions when I was very young. Sadly the tradition died with that generation. My maternal grandmother passed from Alzheimer's a few years ago and one of the few times she could speak coherently was while she was recalling her parents getting together to play music. Very grateful for these photos.
Square, JonikW, rmstevens2 And 2 others like this post

My great grandfather, born in Italy. He was a stone mason and took years of his life to make this grotto, only to have have it torn down a few years later by the city in the name of redevelopment.
[Image: ydBBnNW.jpg]
[Image: pgYNLuM.jpg]
JonikW, JMcB, Gray Fox And 3 others like this post
(10-23-2023, 10:19 AM)leonardo Wrote: My great grandfather, born in Italy. He was a stone mason and took years of his life to make this grotto, only to have have it torn down a few years later by the city in the name of redevelopment.
[Image: ydBBnNW.jpg]
[Image: pgYNLuM.jpg]

I work with a guy whose ancestors were Italian stone masons. Surname Loberteni who ended up in Tennessee.
JMcB, JonikW, leonardo like this post
My Maternal Grandmother 

[Image: My-Maternal-Grandmother.jpg]
JonikW, Gray Fox, rmstevens2 And 2 others like this post
FTDNA: Central Europe 41%, England, Wales, and Scotland 38%, Scandinavia 3%, East Slavic 13%, West Slavic 2%Greece & Balkans <2%, Finland <1%
My Maternal Grandmother's Mother (1884-1960).  

[Image: My-Great-Grandmother-Cora-1884-1960.jpg]
Gray Fox, rmstevens2, leonardo And 3 others like this post
FTDNA: Central Europe 41%, England, Wales, and Scotland 38%, Scandinavia 3%, East Slavic 13%, West Slavic 2%Greece & Balkans <2%, Finland <1%