Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Steppe Ancestry in western Eurasia and the spread of the Germanic Languages
(03-19-2024, 02:23 PM)Rodoorn Wrote:
(03-19-2024, 01:07 PM)Jaska Wrote: Rodoorn, there is no region in Europe where archaeological continuity has not been used to claim linguistic continuity. However, this method produces contradicting results, making the method totally unreliable. The fact remains that archaeological (or genetic) continuity cannot testify for linguistic continuity.
https://www.alkuperasivusto.fi/Uralic.html

Well the fact that certain claims have been made more often doesn't mean that this claim is not accurat. Because it is quit obvious, from BB times (2400 BC) unto migration times (400 AD) the population knew a great continuity and the fundament of it (in that specific area = outmost NW continental Europe) was Bell Beaker and nothing else. But correct me if I'm wrong.

There are also been more claims about what the people of what in the paper has been called Eastern North Sea population- the paper claims that is was "distinctive" and also "BB related"- would have been spoken.

The only certainty from linguistic perspective withroof regard to the Dutch/NW German area we have is that with "In the Netherlands, IA Southern Scandinavians’ ancestry became dominant in the place of a distinct Eastern North Sea population." that this is contemporary with the occurance of kind of Germanic!

we are never going to have anything more than ancient DNA, archatology and perhaps (much more tricky) place make evidence  to infer languagesiaoevt is left  in Europe north of the Alps in prehistory history. But total genetic continuity of a bell beaker subgroup into the late Roman era is as good a proxy as there is ever going to be. It’s a known interface area through prehistory. Admittedly it’s possible that their elites could have adopted a number of different languages of the bigger networks to their east/NE, west or south but this area is not usually highlighted as one as a core powerful nodal zone of a network. It’s usually seen as a periphery. So i’m not sure the elite lingua franca model would fit. I do think the model of a bell beaker originated dialect; perhaps with moderate areal influences from west, north-east and south; would fit well. Bell beaker is undoubtedly highly convincingly correlated with the Celts-Italic branch so it stands to reason that that was a major component.
Sgjoni, Vinitharya, Rodoorn like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steppe Ancestry in western Eurasia and the spread of the Germanic Languages - by alanarchae - 03-19-2024, 10:56 PM