Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

New update (2023)
Post just results, besides the hacked one (Recommend).

I start with mine:

[Image: eXgz9LC.png]

[Image: RLvRtT2.jpg]
lg16, JMcB, rmstevens2 And 9 others like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
Here are my updated results, which I first saw yesterday. I didn't succeed in my attempt to use the hack and all my previous estimates are somewhere on the AG archive. This time around, my Welsh and England/NW Europe have swapped places, but either way this is the most accurate test for me, barring the Norwegian trace on both sides, which I assume is actually English ancestry.

[Image: Screenshot-20231002-211026-2.png]make image url
Webb, Waylander, Dewsloth And 7 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(10-02-2023, 08:23 PM)JonikW Wrote: Here are my updated results, which I first saw yesterday. I didn't succeed in my attempt to use the hack and all my previous estimates are somewhere on the AG archive. This time around, my Welsh and England/NW Europe have swapped places, but either way this is the most accurate test for me, barring the Norwegian trace on both sides, which I assume is actually English ancestry.

[Image: Screenshot-20231002-211026-2.png]make image url

ADD: This is actually accurate too (my dad has tested at Ancestry but my late mum didn't).

[Image: Screenshot-20230930-200212-2.png]
lg16, rmstevens2, JMcB And 4 others like this post
My update left me pretty much the way I was, except I think I had 2% Irish, which has now disappeared and been absorbed by an additional 2% added to "England & Northwestern Europe", which was 26% and is now 28%. Everything else is what it was. I am still largely a Scot autosomally. That makes sense. I have a boatload of Scottish surnames in my pedigree.

Scotland

51%

England & Northwestern Europe

28%

Wales [my Y-DNA line is Welsh]

11%

Norway

5%

Sweden & Denmark

4%

Finland

1%
Waylander, Jalisciense, Dewsloth And 5 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
  • England & Northwestern Europe ... 63% (47-70%)
  • Scotland ..................................... 20% (0-33%)
  • Germanic Europe ........................... 6% (0-43%)
  • France ........................................... 4% (0-24%)
  • Indigenous Americas - North ........... 2% (0-2%)
  • Wales ............................................ 2% (0-8%)
  • Finland .......................................... 1% (0-1%)
  • Eastern European Roma .................. 1% (0-3%)
  • Ireland ........................................... 1% (0-5%)
lg16, rmstevens2, Gray Fox And 6 others like this post
My ancestry is Palatine German - Swiss - Alsatian / British & Irish / Menorcan / French / Indigenous American
My results...

Ranges

EE 21-48%
Germanic Europe 19-48%
France 5-28%
Sweden and Denmark 2-19%
Baltics 0-20%
Norway 0-6%
England 0-21%
Finland 0-3%

The first 4 regions are correct. France should be closer to 25% (likely 22% based on DNA overlap with grandma).

Baltics, England and Finland are just admix - Russian, German and Danish likely. I do have distant Norwegian, but this is likely Swedish or Danish admix.

I just noticed the big range for England, seems like a lot of uncertainty with German, Swedish and Danish - I don't have the new membership required for parental inheritance, but the hack had this from dad.
lg16, Waylander, Dewsloth And 4 others like this post

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot 2023-10-06 082556.png (Size: 26.01 KB / Downloads: 2,373)
yDNA: Pomerania, 1854
mtDNA: Bagneux, Indre, Centre-Val de Loire, France (grandma born Bagneux 1927, 6x great grandma born Bagneux 1769)
Mine has changed a bit - Anything outside the UK has now gone.
It's actually pretty accurate although i have more Welsh than Scottish ancestry that i know of - On paper i'm 6% Welsh and 3% Scottish, thereabouts.

England & Northwestern Europe - 85% (66%-100%)
Scotland - 13% (0-30%)
Wales - 2% (0-7%)

Communities are east of England and South east England which is where the bulk of my ancestry is from so that also makes sense.
Jalisciense, boiler20100203, lg16 And 5 others like this post
Here's mine.  If you're really smart (or think really hard), you can probably figure out the breakdown of which parts are inherited from which parent!

Levant  50%
Your community with a connection to this ethnicity region
Western Levant (sub-areas: Southern Lebanon & Damascus; Lebanon)
England & Northwestern Europe 23%
Germanic Europe 17%
Scotland 5%
Jewish 3%
Sweden & Denmark 2%

Answer in the spoiler below:
Show Content
JonikW, Gray Fox, rmstevens2 And 4 others like this post
My update changed very little. However, the Sweden/Denmark and Ireland moved to entirely from my father, Norway entirely from my mother. The Sweden/Denmark from my father is correct and was a nice confirmation as was the mostly Wales from my mother. 

ENWE........39%
Scotland....24%
Swe/Dnk....20%
Ireland..........8%
Wales...........7%
Norway.........2%
Gray Fox, Jalisciense, JonikW And 3 others like this post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

From Middle Tennessee USA
Equal parts Celtic, Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian. 
I guess "England & Northwestern Europe" is kind of a catch-all, since I have some Dutch, French, and German-Swiss ancestry that doesn't otherwise show up in Family Finder's reckoning.
Gray Fox, boiler20100203, JonikW And 2 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
(10-20-2023, 10:47 AM)Dts Wrote: My update changed very little. However, the Sweden/Denmark and Ireland moved to entirely from my father, Norway entirely from my mother. The Sweden/Denmark from my father is correct and was a nice confirmation as was the mostly Wales from my mother. 

ENWE........39%
Scotland....24%
Swe/Dnk....20%
Ireland..........8%
Wales...........7%
Norway.........2%

(10-20-2023, 09:35 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I guess "England & Northwestern Europe" is kind of a catch-all, since I have some Dutch, French, and German-Swiss ancestry that doesn't otherwise show up in Family Finder's reckoning.

Of course it is, although it isn't necessarily meant to be.  Ancestry more-or-less intends for it to represent English ancestry, but while I suspect they could come up with a reference population that drew in less of non-English ancestry it would also leave a lot of English ancestry out.

The basic reason for this is that the English have a lot of Germanic ancestry.  So while Ancestry says that England & Northwestern Europe is "mainly found in Channel Islands, England", they admit that it's "also found in Belgium, France, Germany, Isle of Man, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Wales".  Why is that?  Well, not because their was massive emigration from England into most of these places.  Instead, it's because some of the ancestors of the English are from these regions, or other descendants of those ancestors migrated into these regions.

This is likely the main reason why my Germanic Europe is as low as it is: only 6%.  But this is a slight improvement from the previous update, when Ancestry claimed 4%, and it's a considerable improvement from the update before that -- when Ancestry found no Germanic Europe at all.  On my father's side, the majority of my ancestors going back to the "old country" have German surnames.  Also, the range for my Germanic Europe is 0-43%, which is a pretty wide range.  Not only that, at the same time Ancestry claims only 6% for me, they say that all 14% of my daughter's Germanic Europe came from me!  (I guess I passed on inflatable DNA.  My daughter's range, by the way, is given as 0-40%.)

Here's what Ancestry says about how ranges are calculated: 

"Imagine that your results say that you are 84% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe.  That 84% is the most likely number within a range of percentages that are also likely.  Less likely, but not necessarily by much".  (My bolding.)

FYI, Ancestry says my range for England & Northwestern Europe is 47-63%.  Out of 8 different ancestries, it's actually the only one that doesn't include 0 in the range.  But keep in mind that this isn't actually saying I have at least 47% England, but 47% of whatever this category actually is.  I definitely have less than 47% English ancestry, and in fact I almost certainly have more ancestry from what is now Germany than I do from England.  It's just that Ancestry doesn't identify this ancestry as such -- apparently, it's too "Saxon".  And since I do have some actual British ancestry -- a portion of which probably is English -- it's probably hard to separate out.

By comparison, here's what 23andMe says about my German and British ancestries:  French & German 48.2%; British & Irish 36.3%.  While these numbers aren't perfect, either, they're a heck of a lot closer to my paper trail than Ancestry's numbers.
JMcB, Webb, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
My ancestry is Palatine German - Swiss - Alsatian / British & Irish / Menorcan / French / Indigenous American
My 2023 updated AncestryDNA results:

Scotland 37%
Germanic Europe 18%
Eastern Europe & Russia 14%
England & Northwestern Europe 14%
Sweden & Denmark 5%
Norway 5%
Wales 5%
Ireland 2%
Jalisciense, rmstevens2, lg16 And 4 others like this post
FTDNA: Central Europe 41%, England, Wales, and Scotland 38%, Scandinavia 3%, East Slavic 13%, West Slavic 2%Greece & Balkans <2%, Finland <1%
Updated results from an American of Colonial stock. I'm not too surprised that the Scottish segment went up. I have quite a few Lowland Scots/Borderers surnames in my tree. Johnston, Gray, Walker, Crawford, Caudill, Hatton etc.

Scotland: 53%

England & Northwestern Europe: 33%

Germanic Europe: 8%

Norway: 3%

Wales: 2%
Dts, Nqp15hhu, JonikW And 4 others like this post
For Caucasian Americans with colonial ancestry, as one goes further back in time, additional generations; the more English it becomes. Up to the mid 1600s it was mostly English settlers, then in the 1680s more immigrants from Scotland and Ireland began to arrive, followed by Germans. I failed to account for this in earlier estimates, and under estimated my English ancestry.

My previous estimate wrongly assumed my unknown Colonial ancestry would be similar to my known colonial/early US ancestry. Obviously you typically know more about your more recent ancestry so that was skewing my estimate.

My new estimate does a percentage for each generation, and as expected, the earlier generations known ancestry is increasingly English.
lg16, Dts, Webb And 3 others like this post
U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>FGC12381>FGC12378>FGC47869>FGC12401>FGC47875>FGC12384
50% English, 15% Welsh, 15% Scot/Ulster Scot, 5% Irish, 10% German, 2% Scandi, 2% French & Dutch), 1% India
Ancient ~40% Anglo-Saxon, ~40% Briton/Insular Celt, ~15% German, 4% Other Euro
600 AD: 55% Anglo-Saxon (CNE), 45% Pre-Anglo-Saxon Briton (WBI)
“Be more concerned with seeking the truth than winning an argument” 
Here are my results, the French I understand by proximity to Aragon and the Spanish Levant, the rest I'm not sure as I can only go back to 1,800's with my paper trail. I hope more Spanish people post their results.
Gray Fox, JMcB, Webb And 3 others like this post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)