Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
On the origin of the Cushitic languages and people
Hello everyone, for a long time I have wondered about the origin of the Afroasiatic peoples in Africa, especially the Cushites, since I have seen several theories of their origin but nothing trusts me and if it is not a problem I would like to ask the following
1 ¿ Where did the Cushite profile emerge for the first time ?
2 ¿ Where were the Cushite languages spoken for the first time ?
3 ¿ Why did ancient writers call people from Mesopotamia and the south of the Arabian Peninsula Cushites ?
It is an interesting topic, I'd be interested in learning more myself. Hopefully we have some resident experts on the topic who will chime in.
1.    It depends entirely what you mean by Cushitic profile.

If you mean the genetic profile of the original language speakers the closest thing would probably be something similar to the Skhirat-Rouazi samples with less Iberomaurusian related admixture and potentially less of an Anatolian shift.
Modern Cushitic speakers are mixed with multiple waves of admixture that varies depending on their location. 

The original Cushitic speaking population mixed with a group very similar to peoples living in South Sudan, then migration to the south led to further admixture with groups that have South East African HG admixture in the Horn.

The Northern Cushitic populations seem to have mixed with both Egyptian and Arabian population over time.

Modern Cushitic speakers in the Horn are shifted away from South East African HGs relative to Pastoral Neolithic populations, most likely due to admixture from Sudan, and have possible minor Arabian admixture.

South Cushitic speakers like the Iraqw seem to retain the Pastoral Neolithic affinity for Southeast African HGs.

2. The Red Sea Hills is the most often suggested region. I'm uncertain as to the arguments for that particular region, aside from the survival of North Cushitic. It's old enough that it could theoretically be anywhere in Northeast Africa.

3. For Mesopotamia this is at least partially a result of accidental conflation of the Sumerian Kish with the Egyptian exonym Kush in many cases. The biblical figure of Kush is most likely related to the Mesopotamian city rather than Nubia (hence Nimrod son of Kush ruling the land of Shinar), later writers are often clearly referring to Nubia but quoting older writers meaning Kish or refering to the Kassites. 

This is most likely the same for groups in Arabia and the Levant considering the close trade and cultural ties to Mesopotamia, but it's a little bit more open for interpretation.
HDG33, Megalophias, ESPLover like this post
(04-29-2024, 06:12 AM)Mnemonics Wrote: 1.    It depends entirely what you mean by Cushitic profile.

If you mean the genetic profile of the original language speakers the closest thing would probably be something similar to the Skhirat-Rouazi samples with less Iberomaurusian related admixture and potentially less of an Anatolian shift.
Modern Cushitic speakers are mixed with multiple waves of admixture that varies depending on their location. 

The original Cushitic speaking population mixed with a group very similar to peoples living in South Sudan, then migration to the south led to further admixture with groups that have South East African HG admixture in the Horn.

The Northern Cushitic populations seem to have mixed with both Egyptian and Arabian population over time.

Modern Cushitic speakers in the Horn are shifted away from South East African HGs relative to Pastoral Neolithic populations, most likely due to admixture from Sudan, and have possible minor Arabian admixture.

South Cushitic speakers like the Iraqw seem to retain the Pastoral Neolithic affinity for Southeast African HGs.

2. The Red Sea Hills is the most often suggested region. I'm uncertain as to the arguments for that particular region, aside from the survival of North Cushitic. It's old enough that it could theoretically be anywhere in Northeast Africa.

3. For Mesopotamia this is at least partially a result of accidental conflation of the Sumerian Kish with the Egyptian exonym Kush in many cases. The biblical figure of Kush is most likely related to the Mesopotamian city rather than Nubia (hence Nimrod son of Kush ruling the land of Shinar), later writers are often clearly referring to Nubia but quoting older writers meaning Kish or refering to the Kassites. 

This is most likely the same for groups in Arabia and the Levant considering the close trade and cultural ties to Mesopotamia, but it's a little bit more open for interpretation.
1 I speak of the original profile of the first speakers of Cushite languages since I believe that this way we can know the ancestry not only of modern Cushite speakers but also of East Africa in general. ¿ Do you have models of the populations you speak of that could be like the first cushites ? 

2 Thank you but then there are more arguments to say that the Cushite languages originited in this place .

3 I have seen the relationship kush=kish but as you say it is difficult to know what they are referring to and I think we need to talk more about it
papers to not leave the thread and see if it helps someone
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-0...585aa0556e
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aaz0183

Check for new replies