Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Balto-slavic drift debunked ?
Hi,

i read the first half of this thread  Balto-Slavic drift evolution : PCA (genarchivist.com)

What is the point today about the BSD ?

Do we considere it today like a change due to isolation or an admixture ?

I read the drift was present even in populations that did not mixe with yamnaya yet

So i have 2 ideas :

- the drift happens in populations where WHG and EHG peaks
- the drift happens in populations where EEF happened in last 

So for me the change comes from a pure WHG or EHG or EEF sample.
What do you think ?
(03-13-2024, 11:14 AM)Oxo Wrote: Hi,

i read the first half of this thread  Balto-Slavic drift evolution : PCA (genarchivist.com)

I read the drift was present even in populations that did not mixe with yamnaya yet

So i have 2 ideas :

What do you think ?

Considering the anthropological diversity of the populations in which the Balto-Slavic drift is present (Balts, Slavs, some Finnish peoples, bronze of Latvia), I personally think that this drift is an admixture of a separate genetic cluster of hunters, which began to divide into separate subclusters back in the late Paleolithic . If this was the result of genetic drift due to isolation that occurred at a later time (Bronze Age), then accordingly, due to this isolation, a homogeneous anthropological type would arise, which is not observed.
Oxo likes this post
(03-13-2024, 11:59 AM)Gordius Wrote:

So i have 2 ideas :

What do you think ?

Considering the anthropological diversity of the populations in which the Balto-Slavic drift is present (Balts, Slavs, some Finnish peoples, bronze of Latvia), I personally think that this drift is an admixture of a separate genetic cluster of hunters, which began to divide into separate subclusters back in the late Paleolithic . If this was the result of genetic drift due to isolation that occurred at a later time (Bronze Age), then accordingly, due to this isolation, a homogeneous anthropological type would arise, which is not observed.

Do you know any population that could explain BSD ?
(03-13-2024, 12:47 PM)Oxo Wrote:
(03-13-2024, 11:59 AM)Gordius Wrote:

So i have 2 ideas :

What do you think ?

Do you know any population that could explain BSD ?

Most likely, hunters from the middle and upper Dnipro, possibly also from the Western Dvina. In later times - Mylograd and Dnipro-Dvina cultures. Perhaps the Epigravettian culture from Mezine (Mizyn) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezine  was also the progenitor of this cluster. By the way, somewhere in 2009, from that region (north-eastern Ukraine), the sample of frontal bone of Paleolithic times was taken for DNA, but I have never come across this in publications.
Oxo likes this post
Seems obvious, it correlates with nothing but european HG (WHG, SHG, EHG)

(03-15-2024, 05:56 PM)Oxo Wrote: Seems obvious, it correlates with nothing but european HG (WHG, SHG, EHG)

Most likely, when ANE came to the territory of Eastern Europe, they mixed with some other population, maybe the ancestors of the WHG, maybe also with CHG, maybe the remains of Kostenki, and in conditions of certain isolation, a new cluster arose.
It is worth noting that the current populations with a strong Balto-Slavic drift have well-defined Caucasian features (such as a good profile of the face), as well as light pigmentation, while hunters of "standard" clusters, such as EHG, WHG, Ukrainian HG, etc., had different, many were with flattened faces. Also, dark pigmentation prevailed significantly.

Check for new replies