Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Deeper discoveries with new DNA Match tools | Ancestry®
Courtesy of a post by Blaine T. Bettinger on his Genetic Genealogy Tips & Techniques Facebook page:

Yesterday at RootsTech Ancestry announced some pretty incredible improvements to DNA matching. The 13-minute video linked below highlights some of these improvements coming in the first half of 2024 …

Jalisciense, lg16, rmstevens2 And 4 others like this post
Paper Trail: 42% English, 31.5% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
LDNA©: Britain & Ireland: 89.3% (51.5% English, 37.8% Scottish & Irish), N.W. Germanic: 7.8%, Europe South: 2.9% (Southern Italy & Sicily)
BigY 700: I1-Z141 >F2642 >Y3649 >Y7198 (c.365 AD) >Y168300 (c.410 AD) >A13248 (c.880 AD) >A13252 (c.1055 AD) >FT81015 (c.1285 AD) >A13243 (c.1620 AD) >FT80854 (c.1700 AD) >FT80630 (1893 AD).
I think some of the features are for everyone, some are only for those with an Ancestry or AncestryPlus subscription and some are only for those with the new ProTools, which is an additional $10 a month

My impression from the video, is that I would be likely to use all of these tools, at least on some occasions.
Good to Very Good Tools, but not a Browser or real data.

And TBH, I am not fond of the fact, that after I am already a subscriber, that I still have to pony up even more moolah for the ProTools.

I will probably try out the ProTools for a short period of time, but I doubt that I will be a permanent ProTooler.
lg16, rmstevens2, Rufus191 And 1 others like this post
The best new feature is searching matches for ethnicities. I wonder whether that works for people which blocked non-shared regions. E.g., my family might have distant French ancestry, so distant, we never get it. However, I might like to search for people with French ancestry nevertheless, since they being more likely linked to a specific known family branch. Yet some only show shared ethnicities, I wonder whether it works for them as well.

The new shared matches is long due, great improvement. But here again I would like to get a lowered threshold, because so many matches in common being missed because of the threshold being too high. Even if the matches themselves are very closely related, like father and daughter etc.

The biggest improvement would have been a chromosome browser, but especially after the 23andMe issue, I doubt it will come anytime soon...
JMcB, lg16, Rufus191 And 2 others like this post
I just let my Ancestry membership expire, i.e., I cancelled it. Yesterday was the last day.

I'm at the point now at which Ancestry doesn't do me that much good for what I want to do, which is to push my Y-DNA/surname line back further. I'm certain my immigrant Y-DNA ancestor came from Wales, but I don't know who he is. Since he came to North America sometime in the 17th century, records are somewhat scarce or lacking the detail that would enable me to pinpoint him.
lg16, Rufus191, JMcB like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
(03-01-2024, 09:33 PM)Riverman Wrote: The best new feature is searching matches for ethnicities. I wonder whether that works for people which blocked non-shared regions. E.g., my family might have distant French ancestry, so distant, we never get it. However, I might like to search for people with French ancestry nevertheless, since they being more likely linked to a specific known family branch. Yet some only show shared ethnicities, I wonder whether it works for them as well.

The new shared matches is long due, great improvement. But here again I would like to get a lowered threshold, because so many matches in common being missed because of the threshold being too high. Even if the matches themselves are very closely related, like father and daughter etc.

The biggest improvement would have been a chromosome browser, but especially after the 23andMe issue, I doubt it will come anytime soon...

The new tools look really useful particularly the new shared matches.

As Mabrams says it, irks me that it is an extra subscription.  I am currently a global subscriber, which costs around £200 (about USD250) so feel these tools should be included with that level of subscription.  i will probably get the new tools but cut back the subscription to UK and Ireland.
JMcB, lg16, rmstevens2 like this post
(03-02-2024, 10:04 PM)Loderingo Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 09:33 PM)Riverman Wrote: The best new feature is searching matches for ethnicities. I wonder whether that works for people which blocked non-shared regions. E.g., my family might have distant French ancestry, so distant, we never get it. However, I might like to search for people with French ancestry nevertheless, since they being more likely linked to a specific known family branch. Yet some only show shared ethnicities, I wonder whether it works for them as well.

The new tools look really useful particularly the new shared matches.

As Mabrams says it, irks me that it is an extra subscription.  I am currently a global subscriber, which costs around £200 (about USD250) so feel these tools should be included with that level of subscription.  i will probably get the new tools but cut back the subscription to UK and Ireland.

As far as I know, the ProTools are currently only for US customers, not sure when that will change. I definitely like the look of some of these new ProTool features, such as the ability to see how much shared matches match each other (something that of course has been available on most other sites for eons!), and the near tripling of the number of groups from 24 to 64.
JMcB and lg16 like this post

Check for new replies