Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
My dog's DNA
Well of course I had to have my dog tested! I can highly recommend Embark as a canine DNA tester. As a test it is not the cheapest but is as good as any similar package for humans - but in my opinion better. Haplogroups, DNA relative matches. Good autosomal breed detection. Great health data and traits.

My dog and his litter was supposed to be the result of an accidental mating between a dog GS Pointer, and a b*tch dalmatian.

The test revealed that he was actually a cross between a dog dobermann and a b*tch dalmatian. I chased it up with his source, and found out that there was also a dobermann in the same house but the owners said "we thought he was too old".

Autosomal DNA resolves very firmly a simple first generation cross between male dobermann x female dalmatian, with lots of genetic markers to dobermanns on his sire's side in the USA and Europe. Strangely, none on his dam's side.

Y-DNA: HA.13 a clade of A1b

Occurs mainly in dobermanns, supporting the autosomal DNA. A subclade of 

mt-DNA: A426 a clade of A1d. Very common across many breeds.

Medical data - told me that he carried one copy of the variant associated with bladder stones, common in dalmatians. The test checks for many issues. I can grab some screenshots if required.
Traits - all true except appetite.

The revelation made complete sense. His shiny coat, and guarding behaviour. So not German short-haired pointer. So dobermann (dobderman pinscher in USA). That dirty old dog.

Perhaps we could have new fields on our profile for our dog's ethnicity and haplogroups? ;-)

[Image: medium_47944887142_379ea65d5e_w.jpg]

[Image: medium_Screenshot_2024-02-29_22.51.10.png]
[Image: medium_Screenshot_2024-02-29_22.52.27.png]
[Image: medium_Screenshot_2024-02-29_22.55.36.png]

[Image: medium_Screenshot_2024-02-29_22.54.47.png]
DeParis, pelop, Uintah106 And 12 others like this post
The artist formerly known as A Norfolk L-M20
Can they do anything about Balkan shepherd mutts? Tongue
rmstevens2, East Anglian, lg16 like this post
(03-01-2024, 10:07 AM)pelop Wrote: Can they do anything about Balkan shepherd mutts? Tongue

I believe that they do have categories for various pariah and village dog populations. If I recall one of the founders of the business was involved in such a study. But don't quote me on that, my memory is getting fuzzier.

I have encountered the street dogs of Sofia, lovely dogs.
rmstevens2, lg16, pelop like this post
The artist formerly known as A Norfolk L-M20
(03-01-2024, 11:08 AM)East Anglian Wrote:
(03-01-2024, 10:07 AM)pelop Wrote: Can they do anything about Balkan shepherd mutts? Tongue

I believe that they do have categories for various pariah and village dog populations. If I recall one of the founders of the business was involved in such a study. But don't quote me on that, my memory is getting fuzzier.

I have encountered the street dogs of Sofia, lovely dogs.

We actually know her parents, her mother was a Greek shepherd dog (which I assume is a variation of the large shepherd breeds of the Balkans) and her father some kind of bastard Malinois. But yeah, street dogs and village dogs are very common in these parts.
rmstevens2, lg16, East Anglian like this post
According to the documentation, my son's dog would be 100% Shih-Tzu. I should test him just for the fun of exploring his ancestry.
lg16, ronin92, East Anglian And 1 others like this post
Sailing waters never before sailed (DNA technology uncovering the past).
Really interesting! We have a little Yorkshire Terrier who has official "papers", but we never joined her up to the American Kennel Club and registered her, since we weren't planning on breeding her and in fact had her spayed.
East Anglian, lg16, Piquerobi like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Interesting! I have heard about DNA tests for dogs and the first time I knew about it I laughed because it never occurred to me that it could exist so I wonder if there will ever be a day for cats and hamsters too lol

Btw Embark seems to be like 23andme but for dogs xd
rmstevens2, East Anglian, lg16 like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
(03-01-2024, 02:45 PM)Piquerobi Wrote: According to the documentation, my son's dog would be 100% Shih-Tzu. I should test him just for the fun of exploring his ancestry.

I have a rescue shih-tzu. All of the paperwork, including AKC said he was 100% Shih-Tzu. I had him tested with Embark, mostly because I wanted to know if he had any of the shih-tzu genetic issues that could be mitigated early. And to a lesser extent I obviously like geeking out on the genetic genealogy in all forms. But he also has a few traits that made me think that he wasn't fully shih-tzu: very easily trained, and he likes to point. and I was curious what else might be there.

Results came back: 100% Shih Tzu. All of the matches are 100% shih-tzu. NSTR medically.
Y haplotype = H15.7, which is found in Shih-Tzus and other Tibetan dogs
mt haplotype = A390, which is mixed breed, and specifically not shih-tzu. So somewhere in his deep past he has another breed.

And he came back with 0.9% wolfiness. Which honestly feels about 1.0% too high.
rmstevens2, lg16, Piquerobi like this post
^ Thanks for sharing.
lg16, RBHeadge, rmstevens2 like this post
Sailing waters never before sailed (DNA technology uncovering the past).
One of the problems I have is that I would adopt every stray dog I encounter. My wife stops me, or we would have a hundred or more dogs by now.
East Anglian, Piquerobi, lg16 And 2 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Not exactly a fair trick to play on a dog microarray but funny nevertheless:-

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...n-dna-test
JMcB, Square, rmstevens2 like this post

Check for new replies