Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Haplogroup D1 Discussion Thread
Do not belong to this haplogroup myself, but I am interested in it as it is one of the major maternal haplogroups the took part in the peopling of the Americas over 15,000 years ago. Also interested regarding its place among maternal Haplogroup D; it appears to be an independent branch (with no closely related branches) of Haplogroup D4, which otherwise is mostly found in East Asian populations (though not SE Asia).
I have adapted the following from Satish Kumar, Claire Bellis, Mark Zlojutro, Phillip E Melton, John Blangero, and Joanne E Curran, "Large scale mitochondrial sequencing in Mexican Americans suggests a reappraisal of Native American origins," BMC Evolutionary Biology 2011, 11:293 (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/11/293):

Shuzam87 and miquirumba like this post
The mtDNA D1-only Surui population has a language, which clustered as an outgroup to the Ainu language in Jager, 2017 (“From words to features to trees: Computing a world tree of languages from word lists”). In "40,000-Year-Old Individual from Asia Provides Insight into Early Population Structure in Eurasia", a signal from 56% Papuan + 44% Tianyuan was observed in the Surui population. Among the northern individuals, the strong Papuan affinity was only reliably detected in the ancient Jomon individuals so far. Unlike D4e1 and D4h3a, Bianbian, Boshan, Xiaojingshan-related individuals of yDNA N-CTS582, distantly related to mtDNA M21a-related populations (such as the Batek), share mutations with mtDNA D4q, whose bearers are considered to migrate to the Yangtze river basin from the Fenhe River basin of China, dominated by yDNA C2-M217 populations, which preserved small flake tool industries instead of adopting microblade production.

Check for new replies