Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
"Negrito"-related Populations in Taiwan?
I am curious about the presence of various "Negrito"-like peoples in Taiwan (apologies if the term is offensive); various Taiwanese Aboriginal cultures have legends of darker-skinned people of a short stature and Afro-textured hair, and older human remains have been purported to resemble that of groups such as the Aeta people of the Philippines.

I also wonder if there is any genetic contribution from such peoples in modern-day Taiwanese people (particularly Taiwanese Aborigines). For example, I wonder if this could be seen in haplogroups (such as the P-P295 paternal haplogroup).
parasar likes this post
(02-17-2024, 05:49 PM)alchemist223 Wrote: I am curious about the presence of various "Negrito"-like peoples in Taiwan (apologies if the term is offensive); various Taiwanese Aboriginal cultures have legends of darker-skinned people of a short stature and Afro-textured hair, and older human remains have been purported to resemble that of groups such as the Aeta people of the Philippines.

I also wonder if there is any genetic contribution from such peoples in modern-day Taiwanese people (particularly Taiwanese Aborigines). For example, I wonder if this could be seen in haplogroups (such as the P-P295 paternal haplogroup).

Trejaut et al. 2014 (cf. "Taiwan Y-chromosomal DNA variation and its relationship with Island Southeast Asia") have reported finding P-M45(xQ-M242, R1-M173, R2a-M124) Y-DNA in 2.56% (1/39) Amis and 1.79% (1/56) Bunun from Taiwan for a total of 0.56% (2/355) P-M45(xQ-M242, R1-M173, R2a-M124) among "Mountain Aborigines" of Taiwan. They have not found any case of P-M45(xQ-M242, R1-M173, R2a-M124) among 370 remnants of "Plains Aborigines" of Taiwan (these people now speak Chinese and apparently have a great deal of Chinese admixture judging from their Y-DNA) nor among 352 Han Chinese from Taiwan.

The Amis are also notable among the aborigines of Taiwan for their exhibiting a great proportion of Y-DNA haplogroup O2a2b2-AM01822/F3223 and at least some O2a2a1a2-M7, and the Bunun are also notable among the aborigines of Taiwan for their exhibiting a great proportion of Y-DNA haplogroup O1b1a1a1a1a1-M88. O2a2b2-AM01822/F3223 is typically northeastern Chinese (e.g. Manchu, Liaoning Han, Shandong Han) or geographically Oceanic Austronesian (e.g. Chamorro, Polynesian; note that the Chamorros are geographically but not linguistically "Oceanic Austronesian," whereas the Polynesians are both geographically and linguistically "Oceanic Austronesian"), O2a2a1a2-M7 is typically southwestern Chinese (e.g. Miao) or Southeast Asian, and O1b1a1a1a1a1-M88 is typically found in Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and some minority ethnic groups in Southwest China. The subclade of O-M7 that has been found (rarely) among Austronesians (such as the Amis of Taiwan) is basal and deeply divergent from the clade found in Southwest China and the Indochinese Peninsula; FTDNA currently estimates their TMRCA to be 13,999 (95% CI 16,513 - 11,860) ybp. The Dushan 4-1 specimen from 7024 - 6643 BCE Dushan Cave in Guangxi belongs to the Southwest Chinese and Indochinese subclade according to FTDNA, having already diverged from the Austronesian subclade thousands of years prior to the deposition of the remains of Dushan 4-1 in Dushan Cave.
parasar, okarinaofsteiner, alchemist223 And 1 others like this post

Check for new replies