Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Why not?
I hope the subject of this thread is not offensive. If for some reason it is, dear mods or admins, please delete it. I certainly don't mean it to be offensive.

I understand that every member here has the right to keep secret whatever he or she wants to keep secret. Got that. But what I am wondering is why many members don't list their Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroups in their profile, so that the information shows up on the left side of the screen, underneath their screen name. 

What advantage to hackers, pirates, etc., can come from learning your Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroup?

Let me know. If what you say sounds dangerous enough, I will delete that information from my own profile.

I like listing my info there, I guess because I am pleased with it and don't mind displaying it. That doesn't mean I think it's any better than anyone else's, just that I am happy about it and like for others to see it.
AimSmall, Manofthehour, Capsian20 And 3 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Posting Freak... never seen that designation.

I like it!

I'll have to go see what all designations exist in the forum.
Dewsloth, JMcB, rmstevens2 like this post
(01-24-2024, 12:24 AM)AimSmall Wrote: Posting Freak... never seen that designation.

I like it!

I'll have to go see what all designations exist in the forum.

I saw that. I guess if the shoe fits . . .

BTW, I really like this forum, so being a "Posting Freak" here is cool.
AimSmall, Albruic, Manofthehour And 1 others like this post

Ok... went and looked.

Here are the current Group settings...

Newbie0
Junior Member1
Member2
Senior Member250
Posting Freak750

We might have to consider some additional levels...  seems very weighted to the newcomers.
Albruic, Jalisciense, Dewsloth And 2 others like this post
(01-24-2024, 12:12 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: But what I am wondering is why many members don't list their Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroups in their profile, so that the information shows up on the left side of the screen, underneath their screen name.

For me, it was simply a matter of not knowing where the option was, and not being interested enough to find it. This thread prompted me to do so. (User CP > Edit Profile, which in retrospect seems pretty obvious)
JMcB and rmstevens2 like this post
(01-24-2024, 01:06 AM)Cejo Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 12:12 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: But what I am wondering is why many members don't list their Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroups in their profile, so that the information shows up on the left side of the screen, underneath their screen name.

For me, it was simply a matter of not knowing where the option was, and not being interested enough to find it. This thread prompted me to do so. (User CP > Edit Profile, which in retrospect seems pretty obvious)

Great! Like what you have!

At least one of the lines in my pedigree is M222.
JMcB likes this post

I don't think I find myself in a whole lot of debates on haplogroups with a TRMCA less than say 10kbp, so it's not of huge interest to me in the first place (plus it's a pretty common one, R-L2), but also if it's not listed, people are less likely to (wrongly) accuse bias in favor of said haplogroup and derail a discussion.
rmstevens2 and Webb like this post
(01-24-2024, 12:12 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I hope the subject of this thread is not offensive. If for some reason it is, dear mods or admins, please delete it. I certainly don't mean it to be offensive.

I understand that every member here has the right to keep secret whatever he or she wants to keep secret. Got that. But what I am wondering is why many members don't list their Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroups in their profile, so that the information shows up on the left side of the screen, underneath their screen name. 

What advantage to hackers, pirates, etc., can come from learning your Y-DNA and/or mtDNA haplogroup?

Let me know. If what you say sounds dangerous enough, I will delete that information from my own profile.

I like listing my info there, I guess because I am pleased with it and don't mind displaying it. That doesn't mean I think it's any better than anyone else's, just that I am happy about it and like for others to see it.

Maybe are cares about autosomal more than Y-DNA and mtDNA , although i believe mtDNA and YDNA and autosomal all are important
JMcB, rmstevens2, JonikW like this post
Target: CapsianWGS_scaled
Distance: 1.2510% / 0.01251049
37.2 Iberomaurusian
36.8 Early_European_Farmer
12.8 Early_Levantine_Farmer
8.0 Steppe_Pastoralist
4.8 SSA
0.4 Iran_Neolithic
FTDNA : 91% North Africa +<2% Bedouin + <2  Southern-Levantinfo + <1 Sephardic Jewish + 3% Malta +  3%  Iberian Peninsula
23andME :  100% North Africa

WGS ( Y-DNA and mtDNA)
Y-DNA: E-A30032< A30480 ~1610 CE
mtDNA: V25b 800CE ? ( age mtDNA not accurate )
In my case because Idk my mtDNA haplogroup (Or my father's) xd
Capsian20, rmstevens2, JMcB And 1 others like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
(01-24-2024, 05:47 AM)Kale Wrote: I don't think I find myself in a whole lot of debates on haplogroups with a TRMCA less than say 10kbp, so it's not of huge interest to me in the first place (plus it's a pretty common one, R-L2), but also if it's not listed, people are less likely to (wrongly) accuse bias in favor of said haplogroup and derail a discussion.

Aha! Now at long last you have revealed it! ;-)

I think the suspicion of bias is always a given in these debates, whether one reveals his own Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups or not. Every male knows that every other male has them, whether they're kept secret or not.
JonikW and JMcB like this post

(01-24-2024, 12:51 AM)AimSmall Wrote: Ok... went and looked.

Here are the current Group settings...

Newbie0
Junior Member1
Member2
Senior Member250
Posting Freak750

We might have to consider some additional levels...  seems very weighted to the newcomers.

Now I don't want to reach the 750 posts lmao
JonikW, rmstevens2, Albruic And 2 others like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
In my case I give less importancy to my haplogroups because are more common between iberian population, but I will may write it in my profile
JonikW, rmstevens2, Capsian20 And 1 others like this post
23andMe: 98.8% Spanish & Portuguese, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 0.9% Trace Ancestry (0.4% Coptic Egypcian, 0.3% Nigerian, 0.2% Bengali & Northeast Indian).

My Heritage: 91.5% Iberian, 3.6% Ashkenazi Jewish, 2.7% Middle East, 2.2% Irish Scottish and Welsh.

The truth doesn’t become more authentic because whole world agrees with it.RaMBaM

-M. De la Torre, converse of jew-
-D. de Castilla, converse of moor-
-M. de Navas, converse of moor-
I too like it when members disclose their haplogroups because it’s useful to see where people are coming from when they argue for things.

On the subject of the posting designations, I’m not keen on the current set-up. “Posting freak” might make sense for someone who reaches that level in a week but it would be nonsense in the case of someone else who reaches the 750 posts over 10 years. 

Likewise, someone could reach “senior member” level by posting 250 pieces of pointless guff over a short period of time, while others among the best quality posters here might only share a pearl of wisdom once every few months.

I don’t see a need for different categories at all given that we can all see other members’ joining dates and judge them by the quality of their posts. I’m an egalitarian at heart, and for me “member” would work for everyone across the board.
Cejo, rmstevens2, Capsian20 And 1 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(01-25-2024, 02:58 PM)JonikW Wrote: I too like it when members disclose their haplogroups because it’s useful to see where people are coming from when they argue for things.

On the subject of the posting designations, I’m not keen on the current set-up. “Posting freak” might make sense for someone who reaches that level in a week but it would be nonsense in the case of someone else who reaches the 750 posts over 10 years. 

Likewise, someone could reach “senior member” level by posting 250 pieces of pointless guff over a short period of time, while others among the best quality posters here might only share a pearl of wisdom once every few months.

I don’t see a need for different categories at all given that we can all see other members’ joining dates and judge them by the quality of their posts. I’m an egalitarian at heart, and for me “member” would work for everyone across the board.

It is actually impressive. I thought it would take years before someone reached "Posting Freak," which was originally "Posting God" at 600 posts, but I changed the name and the number. We can also make personalized designations, so you can remain as a "Member" forever if you want to, we can explore that in many ways.
Mine is unique, though. :-)
rmstevens2, Capsian20, JonikW And 3 others like this post
(01-25-2024, 02:58 PM)JonikW Wrote: I too like it when members disclose their haplogroups because it’s useful to see where people are coming from when they argue for things.

A measure of "quality" might consist of the ratio of likes to posts. This would add an interesting perspective vs. sheer number of posts, though it would not be egalitarian, and I'm kind of into that, too. Also not sure if that would even be easy to implement.
JonikW, rmstevens2, Rober_tce like this post