Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Genarchivist logo contest winner - Congratulations ChrisR!
Star 
Dear GenArchivist community,

As previously mentioned, we opened a thread for members to vote on their favorite logo, although the ultimate decision rests with the Admin team.

After careful consideration, it appears that our choice aligns with the preferences of our members. Therefore, we have decided to designate ChrisR's logo as the official forum logo.

As making this decision was very challenging, I don't want to overlook the other exceptional logos submitted. We are in the process of creating special spaces to feature them (pending approval from the respective creators), and we are confident that you will all appreciate the upcoming creative endeavors.

Once again, we express our gratitude for everyone's participation, thoughts, and efforts invested in all the artworks presented here. Additionally, we appreciate the enthusiasm with which you all have embraced the concept of this community, as it wouldn't exist without your collective support!

I am currently preparing the site for a new update, which will include the incorporation of the new logo.

For now, meet the holder of all Populations & Genetics knowledge: GA, the owl!

[Image: lyQweCu.png]
Mulay 'Abdullah, Cejo, Kellebel And 19 others like this post
Our mascot needs a name.
Kellebel, leonardo, admin And 3 others like this post
GenoWise
Hooty
Helix
JMcB, leonardo, rmstevens2 like this post
GenoWise strikes a good chord.
rmstevens2 and JMcB like this post
Good choice. I like the owl.
JMcB likes this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Love it! And I agree that the owl needs a name ❤️ I’d love for it to be called Gigi, derived from Gene. But I’d totally get it if that’s too feminine for the overall masculine atmosphere here haha
Mulay 'Abdullah, JMcB, rmstevens2 like this post
Kae = father | 66.0 N Dutch + 26.0 W French + 6.4 E German + 1.6 N Italian @0.01669241
Ella = mother | 80.4 Limburgish + 12.6 French + 5.6 Sicilian + 1.4 Romani @0.01272558

Kellebel @0.01602038

53.2% Frankish
37.8% Gaulish
9.0% Roman
Derivative of Bell's thought... Genie?
JMcB and rmstevens2 like this post
Hooter, but that sounds like only one.

Taken from Wikipedia:
From Middle English oule, owle, from Old English ūle, from Proto-West Germanic *uwwilā, from Proto-Germanic *uwwalǭ (compare West Frisian ûle, Dutch uil, Danish and Norwegian ugle, German Eule), diminutive of *uwwǭ (“eagle-owl”) (compare German Uhu), of imitative origin or a variant of *ūfaz, *ūfǭ (compare Old English ūf or hūf, Swedish uv (“horned owl”), Bavarian Auf), from Proto-Indo-European *up- (compare Latvian ũpis (“eagle-owl”), Czech úpět (“to wail, howl”), Avestan‎ (ufiieimi, “to call out”). A Germanic variant *uwwilǭ was the source of Old High German ūwila (German Eule).

[Image: d9csy41wdms91.jpg]
rmstevens2, JMcB, elflock And 1 others like this post
Gina? Or Jenna As in GenArchivist
Kellebel, JMcB, rmstevens2 like this post
U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>FGC12381>FGC12378>FGC47869>FGC12401>FGC47875>FGC12384
50% English, 15% Welsh, 15% Scot/Ulster Scot, 5% Irish, 10% German, 2% Scandi, 2% French & Dutch), 1% India
Ancient ~40% Anglo-Saxon, ~40% Briton/Insular Celt, ~15% German, 4% Other Euro
600 AD: 55% Anglo-Saxon (CNE), 45% Pre-Anglo-Saxon Briton (WBI)
“Be more concerned with seeking the truth than winning an argument” 
Or maybe Watson? Or CricK? Or Helix?

So the owl won, ain't that a hoot! Tongue
I'm not against the fluffy little guy, he was my second choice behind the current/old logo.
Would it be ok if I make the current/old logo into my avatar after Hoothoot is officially perched atop the forum? That way I can have the best of both worlds? Tongue
JMcB and admin like this post
Or Jean (Gene) also in a nod to Jean Manco, who was so active on Anthrogenica until her premature death and a great source of erudition.
jdean, JMcB, rmstevens2 And 3 others like this post
(01-24-2024, 05:54 AM)Kale Wrote: So the owl won, ain't that a hoot! Tongue
I'm not against the fluffy little guy, he was my second choice behind the current/old logo.
Would it be ok if I make the current/old logo into my avatar after Hoothoot is officially perched atop the forum? That way I can have the best of both worlds? Tongue

Sure! I will PM you the current logo later.
JMcB likes this post
Thanks! It is a honor to provide a mascot/logo.
As announced I would like to tweak/improve the graphics, can't do it immediately, but beside some improvement of the the owl details/colors I have in mind, I would also discuss the best type of font and text. I have two texts in mind - my proposal and one nearer to the existing one:

Quote:GenArchivist
Populations & Genetics Forum
or
Quote:GenArchivist
Forum: Genetics Explored, Archives Preserved

@admin: mail or PM me when the new site update is planned, so I will see if I can send you the improved logo image before.
Mulay 'Abdullah, JonikW, jdean And 2 others like this post
---
Main Projects
: Tyrol DNA, Alpine DNA, J2-M172, J2a-M67, J2a-PF5197, ISOGG Wiki, GenWiki;
Focus on Y-DNA: J2a-M67-L210, J2a-PF5197-PF5169, R1a-M17, R1b-U106-Z372