Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Living DNA Classical
https://support.livingdna.com/hc/en-us/a...ssical-DNA

"Living DNA has looked at genetic data from 279 samples of ancient people from Greece, Egypt, and Rome. These samples were taken from human remains found in 83 archeological sites across Europe, north Africa, the Near East, and West Asia.

This data helps calculate your Classical Index and Classical Population Match reports. 
Using samples from ancient burial sites, we have been able to identify a number of distinct Classical populations:

Roman groups:
  • Levant-Caucasus
  • North Africa
  • Iberia
  • Italy
  • England
  • Northern Europe
  • Eastern Adriatic

Greek groups:
  • Caucasus
  • Iberia
  • Greece
  • Macedonia
  • Turkey-Levant

We do not currently provide the closest sample or sample group for Egyptians due to limited availability of ancient samples, but hope to do so in the future."
lg16, Rufus191, HurricaneSeason And 6 others like this post
It's an interesting idea but I lost all faith in them after my last update, which has me as only 62% Britain and Ireland. That's ridiculously bad for a company that launched on the promise of giving Brits a breakdown by region within the country. (Ancestry nails me almost exactly, while MyHeritage and 23andme are reasonably accurate at reflecting my paper tree too.)
Jalisciense, Rufus191, East Anglian And 4 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(02-02-2024, 08:17 PM)JonikW Wrote: It's an interesting idea but I lost all faith in them after my last update, which has me as only 62% Britain and Ireland. That's ridiculously bad for a company that launched on the promise of giving Brits a breakdown by region within the country. (Ancestry nails me almost exactly, while MyHeritage and 23andme are reasonably accurate at reflecting my paper tree too.)

But did you buy the kit? Or did you transfer the raw data? Because there are difference between both.
JonikW, lg16, Rufus191 like this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
(02-02-2024, 11:15 PM)Jalisciense Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 08:17 PM)JonikW Wrote: It's an interesting idea but I lost all faith in them after my last update, which has me as only 62% Britain and Ireland. That's ridiculously bad for a company that launched on the promise of giving Brits a breakdown by region within the country. (Ancestry nails me almost exactly, while MyHeritage and 23andme are reasonably accurate at reflecting my paper tree too.)

But did you buy the kit? Or did you transfer the raw data? Because there are difference between both.

Good question and sorry for not saying. I bought the kit and was in their very first batch of testers. The initial results were good but the update some years ago was messed up. Someone on AG contacted them about my case back then and they were told that a rerun would only yield the same result.

EDIT: the AG member was Sktibo. The name just came back to me and it's a shame he seems to have left us. Anyway, I hope someone here goes for this Classical analysis because I'd be interested to see what they get. I've deleted the post below because I posted this edit separately when I meant to just add it here.
Rufus191, lg16, Jalisciense And 2 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(02-02-2024, 11:15 PM)Jalisciense Wrote:

I paid for 1 swab kit and uploaded my 23andMe, Ancestry and my grandma's 23andMe. 

The paid LDNA kit is the least accurate for me. 60% NE German is way too much and France at 3% is off. No Scandinavia plus a catch all England and Wales. 

My 23andMe upload is closer, but still NE German heavy. At least Scandinavia is there and France/Iberia is more apparent. Still the confusing English regions which are not the same as users with actual Isles ancestry. 

My grandma is +90% France, which is very good for someone of 100% French ancestry. But it doesn't show as well one or two generations removed. AncestryDNA has been better in this category with their latest update, I received around 14% with higher confidence. 

I have not paid for my Ancestry upload unlock, but judging from the categories, it appears to be more accurate than the LDNA kit. Though it looks to be EE heavy now. 

My summary is that continental Europe is a mess, especially with overlapping mixes and the boasted Germanic split. I inquired about the general Isles assignments I have and the reply from LDNA was that is a NW European catch all. I also inquired about the gnarly France split with my grandma and I received no reply other than their science team was looking into it - I'd have to check my email but that was in 2021 I think, maybe 2020...Still looking into it I suppose.

I'd chalk LDNA up to a a G25 calculator. The NE German assignment is near my genetic "average." My maternal side is Russian/French (25%/25%). My paternal side is North German (Lower Saxony), NE German/NW Poland 12.5% and Scandinavian 12.5% - typically North German with a Swedish shift north.
lg16, Jalisciense, Rufus191 And 2 others like this post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.png   Me LDNA.png (Size: 33.52 KB / Downloads: 164)
.png   grandma 23.png (Size: 22 KB / Downloads: 164)
yDNA: Pomerania, 1854
mtDNA: Bagneux, Indre, Centre-Val de Loire, France (grandma born Bagneux 1927, 6x great grandma born Bagneux 1769)
Anyone have done it yet?

I think 30 euros is to much for this imo
Square, member, boiler20100203 And 4 others like this post
50.6 Anatolian_&_Balkan_Farmer
38.2 Yamnaya_Pontic-Caspian_Steppe
10.7 Western_Hunter-Gatherer
0.5 North_African_Farmer
(02-03-2024, 06:14 PM)Beowulf Wrote: Anyone have done it yet?

I also think the same. It's a "simple" index. I have bought the viking ancestry index and will not do the same mistake.
Telemachus, boiler20100203, FionnSneachta And 4 others like this post
(02-03-2024, 06:14 PM)Beowulf Wrote: Anyone have done it yet?

Its unarmed robbery
lg16, boiler20100203, Square And 1 others like this post
On sale for $20 USD My results.

.jpeg   Screenshot_13-4-2024_135339_my.livingdna.com.jpeg (Size: 67.79 KB / Downloads: 36)
JMcB and Mabrams like this post
I lost all faith in them. Each update is less accurate for me. But even worse, is that they have wrongly assigned the yDNA of both myself and my son to entirely the wrong haplogroup!

Big Y tested to L-FGC51036, supported by 23and me (L-M22), FGC, yfull, and Y111.

Yet Living DNA assign us to branches of J

.png   Screenshot 2024-04-09 10.08.18.png (Size: 12.31 KB / Downloads: 20)

.png   Screenshot 2024-04-09 10.07.09.png (Size: 14.99 KB / Downloads: 20)

I mean, did they just make it up?
FionnSneachta and lg16 like this post
The artist formerly known as A Norfolk L-M20

Check for new replies