Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
okarinaofsteiner's East Eurasian megathread [reposts]
1.5gen Filipino Canadian 23andMe result, parents from Bicol and Bulacan

[Image: bUT5vFEl.jpeg] [Image: jt9J95Al.jpeg]

Quote:My Paternal Haplogroup is O-F793 and Maternal is Y2a

Maternal grandfather is half Chinese (great grandfather moved from China)

If I were to guess my maternal grandmother has the European/Indigenous mix consider how that side of the family looks

Totally lost on the East African ancestry tho.

(Trace ancestry: Melanesian, North African, Gujarati Patidar)

Comments are interesting
Quote:From what I’ve seen, it’s very common for Bulakenyos/Pampangueños to score a small amount of Spanish along with some African or Native American.

What’s slightly atypical is OP doesn’t have as much South Asian, which a lot of northern Central Luzon Filipinos score.

Other than that, pretty much spot on Central Luzon.

Quote:Your paternal haplogroup O-F793 seems to be most commonly found in men of Chinese ancestry, so it is very possible that you could have Chinese ancestry on that side of the family as well.
anti-racist on here for kicks and giggles

“If you want to grant your own wish, then you should clear your own path to it”
― Okabe Rintarou

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”.
― Margaret Mead
Korean 23andMe + Illustrative DNA results

Quote:I had expected 100% Korean as my maternal and paternal grandparents were all from South Korea to my knowledge (and most Korean results I had seen on here were 100%) but I also wanted to try IllustrativeDNA as I heard it can give you results based on ancient DNA samples! It was definitely interesting and worth it. I'm not the most knowledgeable on how to interpret IllustrativeDNA results but if anyone here knows more, it would be great. I hope with this post, more Koreans can also upload their results. It would be great to compare what is both similar and different!

Illustrative DNA ancient forager/farmer breakdown- 75.2% Yellow River Neolithic, 19.4% Amur HG, 2.8% Jomon, 2.4% East Siberian, 0.2% South American
[Image: oG79n7b.png]
JapaJinga likes this post

― Okabe Rintarou

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”.
― Margaret Mead
Just found out about 23andMe's surname discovery feature

Here is what the recent ancestry locations distributions looks like for several variants of the East Asian surname 黄. It's the only major East Asian surname that's common among all three main ethnicities that use the Chinese naming system- Koreans, Chinese, and Vietnamese.

[Image: yBmGGeV.png]

Huang is the Mandarin (pinyin and Wade-Giles) romanization of this Chinese surname. Within China this surname is particularly concentrated in Guangdong and Fujian, which is where the ancestors of most ethnic Chinese outside of Mainland China are from. Hence it's also quite common in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Southeast Asia, and the Anglosphere- although often not in this form.

[Image: lnxXZSr.png]

Wong is the most common Cantonese romanization of this Chinese surname, most strongly associated with Hong Kong, Macau, and pre-Cold War immigrants from present-day Mainland China. For some reason Mainland Chinese immigrant to the US Joe Wong (who is of Korean ancestry himself) also uses this spelling.

[Image: whiQoU2.png]

The relatively high incidence of Chinese ancestry among people with the surname Hwang makes me suspect a lot of ethnic Chinese have this spelling of the last name for some reason. It's typically associated with Koreans.

[Image: 4GwQzEi.png]
[Image: 4TeWMfm.png]

People with the variant Hoàng have less aggregate Chinese ancestry and are less likely to have detectable ancestry from Chinese provinces than people with the variant Huỳnh- which is more common in Southern Vietnam.

[Image: rnZVDA4.png]

Ng can be the Minnan romanization of 黄 or the Cantonese and Hakka romanization of 吳 and 伍. Not sure which is more common among 23andMe customers

[Image: NCYEGee.png]

Uy is an alternate Hokkien romanization of 黄 (to Ng)- it's also spelled in different ways but this version seem to predominate among the Chinese diaspora in the Philippines.
JMcB and JapaJinga like this post

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
Vietnamese 23andMe + Illlustrative DNA + MDLP K23b results- family is from Nha Trang and Da Nang (both part of historic Champa). mtDNA is D4j

Old 23andMe breakdown: 96.8% Vietnamese (HCMC + 9), 1.3% Indo-Thai-Khmer-Myanmar, 0.9% Korean, 1.0% Central-South Asian (0.9% S Indian & Sri Lankan, 0.1% Southern Indian subgroup)
New 23andMe breakdown: 98.8% Vietnamese (HCMC + 9), 1.1% Central-South Asian (0.9% S Indian & Sri Lankan, 0.1% Southern Indian subgroup, 0.1% Broadly CSA)
[Image: jypb2klzphua1.jpg]

Illustrative DNA ancient (farmer/HG) breakdown: 61% SEA Neolithic, 39% Yellow River Neolithic

MDLP K23b breakdown: 94% East Eurasian, scores 0.65 on my North-South cline
Quote:Admix Results (sorted):
# Population
Percent
1. South_East_Asian 42.01
2. Austronesian 41.16
3. Tungus-Altaic 8.83
4. South_Indian 4.2
5. Paleo_Siberian 2
6. Australoid 1.45
7. Subsaharian 0.26
8. Khoisan 0.07
9. East African 0.02
ronin92 likes this post

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
(11-06-2023, 07:37 AM)okarinaofsteiner Wrote: First original post in this thread- both parents from Laos
reddit.com/r/23andme/s/IzbAjlpcOh
[Image: both-of-my-parents-are-from-laos-v0-ahxs...7665c9cbac]

Show Content

More Laotian results from r/23andMe: 71.2% Viet, 19.8% Lingnan Chinese, 6.2% Chinese Dai, 2.8% Broadly East Asian.
[Image: y99co1pm5kxc1.jpg]
Quote:My parents are both from northern lao (Xiangkhouang) but also from my mom's side she's Chinese (I'm not sure if she's full though cause her mom was adopted but I know my grandpa from her side is full chinese) that's probably why I had a high Chinese percentage. My dad's full lao
ronin92 likes this post

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
(04-30-2024, 08:19 PM)okarinaofsteiner Wrote: More Laotian results from r/23andMe: 71.2% Viet, 19.8% Lingnan Chinese, 6.2% Chinese Dai, 2.8% Broadly East Asian.
[Image: y99co1pm5kxc1.jpg]
Quote:My parents are both from northern lao (Xiangkhouang) but also from my mom's side she's Chinese (I'm not sure if she's full though cause her mom was adopted but I know my grandpa from her side is full chinese) that's probably why I had a high Chinese percentage. My dad's full lao

MDLP K23b- looks pretty typical for Kinh Vietnamese; the higher Tungus-Altaic percentage (for non-Sino-Tibetan, Hmong-Mien, or Vietic Mainland SEAs) checks out with this Redditor being at least 1/4 Chinese on paper.
Quote:2.41% South indian, australoid 0.8%, austronesian 40.25%, 45.89% south east asian, tungus-ataic 10.65%

HarappaWorld
Quote:Harappa world said I was 56.49% south east asian and 39.97% north asian and 1.48% papuan.

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead
r/23andMe- Mixed Bai-Lalo (both minorities in China) result
Quote:This is the result of my girlfriend, from Dali, Yunnan. Her father is ethnic Bai, either a Sinitic group or a Sinicized Tibeto-Burman group; her mother is ethnic Lalo, counted by the Chinese government as part of the Yi ethnicity, a Tibeto-Burman group. Neither side has noticeable Han Chinese admixture.
Ancient (farmer/hunter-gatherer breakdown)
Show Content
Closest modern populations
Show Content
Multi-source model
Show Content
Best 2-way and 3-way fits
Show Content

― Okabe Rintarou

― Margaret Mead

Check for new replies