Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Q-M242 and Subclades
Nice, but kind of hard to fool with once one has magnified it to the point where an old guy like me can read it.
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
(01-07-2024, 03:28 AM)Kale Wrote: The Q tree at FtDNA is a lot to take in, so I've condensed it down to what should be all of the major branching events with the FtDNA branch name and yfull branch name
e.g.
Q-FtDna/Yfull
TMRCA
Significant sample

You have CTS11969/M930 labeled as New World but that is not the case since L805/E354 is not New World although Q-M3 is.
(01-06-2024, 02:55 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Interesting that the subclade of Robert Trujillo, bassist of the heavy metal band, Metallica, is Q-L400, which is downstream of Q-L53, under Q-MEH2>M346.

I'm guessing that is an Amerindian branch, but I'm only guessing. The whole Q-M242 tree is a learning experience for me.

Yes he is in a is an Amerindian branch . Any subclade that descends from Q-M3, Q-Z780, or Q-FTC17883 is an Amerindian branch. In this case he descends from Q-Z780.

The discovery of Q-FTC17883 was reported at https://blog.familytreedna.com/newly-ide...americans/
rmstevens2 likes this post
(01-07-2024, 04:42 PM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(01-07-2024, 03:28 AM)Kale Wrote: The Q tree at FtDNA is a lot to take in, so I've condensed it down to what should be all of the major branching events with the FtDNA branch name and yfull branch name
e.g.
Q-FtDna/Yfull
TMRCA
Significant sample

You have CTS11969/M930 labeled as New World but that is not the case since L805/E354 is not New World although Q-M3 is.

My apologies, administrative error.

EDIT: Anyone know any further resolution on NEO100? 8197-7756BC Ural River Beach - Orenburg. Haplogroup Q1b. Earliest European(? Looks like it's just on the West side of the Ural mountains) Q to date.
rmstevens2 and ArmandoR1b like this post
I'm curious about the main branches of Q in Scandinavia and their likely origins, if anyone is knowledgeable about the subject and would care to enlighten me.
There is a Q1b sample from Csongrad, Hungary who dates back to about 4200 BCE who likely belongs to the Csongrad Suvorovo wing of the Suvorovo Novodanilovka Complex.  Referenced on page 59 of following link:

https://reich.hms.harvard.edu/sites/reic...2-2034.pdf

This burial is also mentioned in the following blog post from Musaeum Scythia with a picture of the burial:

https://musaeumscythia.blogspot.com/2023...anism.html

Pribislav, rmstevens2, Manofthehour like this post
(01-08-2024, 04:49 AM)Polska Wrote: There is a Q1b sample from Csongrad, Hungary who dates back to about 4200 BCE who likely belongs to the Csongrad Suvorovo wing of the Suvorovo Novodanilovka Complex.  Referenced on page 59 of following link:

https://reich.hms.harvard.edu/sites/reic...2-2034.pdf

This burial is also mentioned in the following blog post from Musaeum Scythia with a picture of the burial:

https://musaeumscythia.blogspot.com/2023...anism.html

So, that's Q-L275, right?

BTW, glad to see other people joining in and posting in this thread.

I remember that photo of the man from Csongrad long ago in Gimbutas's books.

(01-07-2024, 04:58 PM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 02:55 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Interesting that the subclade of Robert Trujillo, bassist of the heavy metal band, Metallica, is Q-L400, which is downstream of Q-L53, under Q-MEH2>M346.

I'm guessing that is an Amerindian branch, but I'm only guessing. The whole Q-M242 tree is a learning experience for me.

Yes he is in a is an Amerindian branch . Any subclade that descends from Q-M3, Q-Z780, or Q-FTC17883 is an Amerindian branch. In this case he descends from Q-Z780.

The discovery of Q-FTC17883 was reported at https://blog.familytreedna.com/newly-ide...americans/

In broader terms, I notice that all of those are downstream of Q-L53. Would it be fair to say that L53 itself is an Amerindian lineage? I see that all of the ancient samples listed under Q-L53 in Ancient Connections are New World samples.

Thought I should mention, while I am thinking of it and before I forget, that sample DRO001, from the 2021 Papac et al paper, "Dynamic changes in genomic and social structures in third millennium BCE central Europe", was Q-SK1932.

He had 81.5% steppe DNA (Yamnaya_Samara) and was one of only two non-R1 members of Papac et al's Bohemia_CW_Early group (the other was I-L460). He was an early Bohemian Corded Ware guy dated to 2872-2633 calBC.

Interestingly, that's downstream of M346 (Q-M242>MEH2>M346>Y4800>SK1932).

Maybe I should have put DRO001 in the "Famous Q-M242 Persons" thread? 

(01-08-2024, 09:48 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: In broader terms, I notice that all of those are downstream of Q-L53. Would it be fair to say that L53 itself is an Amerindian lineage? I see that all of the ancient samples listed under Q-L53 in Ancient Connections are New World samples.

Definitely not! There are tons of old world ancient samples within Q-L53.
From what I can see (maybe I missed something), all New World Q (excluding Inuit) appears to be under M3 and Z780, except one individual from Lovelock Cave Nevada (maybe Na-Dene related?)
Erilaʀ and rmstevens2 like this post
(01-09-2024, 03:46 AM)Kale Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 09:48 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: In broader terms, I notice that all of those are downstream of Q-L53. Would it be fair to say that L53 itself is an Amerindian lineage? I see that all of the ancient samples listed under Q-L53 in Ancient Connections are New World samples.

Definitely not! There are tons of old world ancient samples within Q-L53.
From what I can see (maybe I missed something), all New World Q (excluding Inuit) appears to be under M3 and Z780, except one individual from Lovelock Cave Nevada (maybe Na-Dene related?)

Ah, thanks. Like I said, the whole Q-M242 world is a new and mostly unexplored one for me. The only L53 stuff I knew about was what I could see in FTDNA Discover's Ancient Connections, and that's all New World, but I didn't look at the Time Tree. I don't know what additional samples might be there.

Maybe this will be of some use, although it does not include most of Asia and the Americas.

It's Maciamo Hay's Eupedia map of the modern distribution of Q-M242.

[Image: Q-M242-Distribution-Map-from-Eupedia.jpg]

Here is a global Q-M242 distribution map (see the attribution at that link).

[Image: Global-frequency-distribution-map-of-hap...-Y-DNA.png]

(01-08-2024, 03:34 AM)fished Wrote: I'm curious about the main branches of Q in Scandinavia and their likely origins, if anyone is knowledgeable about the subject and would care to enlighten me.

FTDNA has a Q Nordic Project which might be helpful.

(01-08-2024, 03:34 AM)fished Wrote: I'm curious about the main branches of Q in Scandinavia and their likely origins, if anyone is knowledgeable about the subject and would care to enlighten me.

Q-L527 and Q-L804 >BY1771 are common in modern Scandinavia.

There is more information about haplogroup Q in https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_Q_Y-DNA.shtml