Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Y Chromosome Phylogenetic Tree
I made this Y chromosome phylogenetic tree graphic, but I've only double checked it. I haven't triple checked it, so if you find any errors, please let me know so I can fix it. The green line traces the descent to Y haplogroup R-M207. The stuff to the left, on the black lines, is not ancestral to R-M207.

In most cases, only macro-haplogroup stuff is on this tree. However, if a SNP is immediately below an important haplogroup node, it's there. 

I make graphics like this to help me learn, remember, and visualize things. They come in handy for refreshing my memory when the need arises, as well. If you like this, please feel free to take it for your own. I'm not sure how it will look here in the forum size-wise, using postimage. Hopefully it will be large enough to read, but you might have to magnify it. 

[Image: Y-DNA-Phylogenetic-Tree-2023.jpg]
Square, JMcB, Piquerobi And 6 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
As you can probably tell, I made this tree "by hand" so to speak. I didn't use any sort of tree making software. I'd actually like to get a tree making program. I'm thinking a genealogical software program used for constructing family pedigrees would work great, using haplogroup and SNP names in place of personal names, TMRCAs in place of birthdates, etc.
Strider99, JMcB, David Mc like this post

(12-14-2023, 04:44 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: As you can probably tell, I made this tree "by hand" so to speak. I didn't use any sort of tree making software. I'd actually like to get a tree making program. I'm thinking a genealogical software program used for constructing family pedigrees would work great, using haplogroup and SNP names in place of personal names, TMRCAs in place of birthdates, etc.

Such a tree would also be a lot easier to update when changes come along - as they surely will - than my current graphic is.

I like this graphic for one reason because it can serve as kind of a "master tree" when I create other descendant trees for single haplogroups. 

Oh, well.
Strider99, JMcB, David Mc like this post

I updated the tree with dates for the principal nodes leading to and including R-M207. There isn't enough room to add dates for everything.

I'm thinking about making another version that includes some ancient samples in red, again mainly for the principal nodes leading to and including R-M207. Might be fun.

[Image: Y-DNA-Phylogenetic-Tree-w-dates-2023.jpg]
JMcB, Riverman, Strider99 like this post

I made a copy and included some ancient samples in red. I didn't have room for everything, plus I did not want to include anything under 12,000 years old.

[Image: Y-DNA-Phylogenetic-Tree-w-dates-ancient-...s-2023.jpg]
Riverman, Strider99, JMcB like this post

Posted this at the FTDNA Facebook Big Y Group and garnered a like from FTDNA's Göran Runström. That's pretty encouraging, since he's no slouch.
Strider99 and JMcB like this post

Update. I discovered a couple of the ancient samples had haplogroups a little further downstream than I initially thought.

[Image: Y-DNA-Phylogenetic-Tree-w-dates-ancient-...s-2023.jpg]
Hygelac, JMcB, Kale And 2 others like this post

I took a little section of the tree and carried it further.

[Image: P-M45-R-M207-early-clades-Descendant-Tree.jpg]
JMcB likes this post

P-M45 through R-L754 updated, with more TMRCA dates.

[Image: P-M45-R-M207-early-clades-Descendant-Tree.jpg]

Check for new replies