Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Do I see messages from several threads in one thread?
During the last hour, I have repeatedly faced an interesting phenomenon: I was reading one thread, and suddenly there appear messages about different topic. When I replied to them, then those messages disappeared, and I could find them in another thread.

So my question is: is there something wrong with the forum, or did the administrators just happen to relocate messages to more appropriate threads just the same time when I was replying to them? These were the assumed movements of messages made by administrators:
- From the Indo-Iranian thread to the Stolarek thread.
- From the mtDNA V thread to the Stolarek thread.

P.S. I moved my own replies to the right threads and deleted my replies from the earlier threads. As my messages were not moved by administrators, perhaps this is indeed a problem of the forum and not the action of the administrators.
RCO, JonikW, Manofthehour And 5 others like this post
~ Per aspera ad hominem ~
Y-DNA: N-Z1936 >> CTS8565 >> BY22114 (Savonian)
mtDNA: H5a1e (Northern Fennoscandian)
I've sometimes briefly seen posts from the "what are you listening thread" when browsing the "Germanic art" thread. I remember feeling it was possibly something to do with the way I'd accessed the thread on those occasions (perhaps via a user's profile). I remember those music posts disappearing when I then accessed the Germanic thread in a different way...
JMcB, Ambiorix, Capsian20 And 2 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
I have seen something like this too when I have multiple threads open in different tabs and am moving back and forth between them, especially if I try to quote a post to respond. I figure it's just some kind of glitch and usually delete my reply and start over.
AimSmall, JMcB, Jaska And 2 others like this post
We'll investigate, thank you for reporting it.
Jaska, JMcB, Orentil And 3 others like this post
Yep see this all the time. I enjoy looking at new unread posts and in fact start my day seeing what new unread posts I've missed in each thread.

For some reason, occasionally, random unrelated posts (they tend to be the newest posts on the forum I think), show up in some of these threads. I just ctrl R (refresh) to make them disappear.
Jaska likes this post
(11-19-2023, 11:23 AM)JonikW Wrote: I've sometimes briefly seen posts from the "what are you listening thread" when browsing the "Germanic art" thread. I remember feeling it was possibly something to do with the way I'd accessed the thread on those occasions (perhaps via a user's profile). I remember those music posts disappearing when I then accessed the Germanic thread in a different way...

Exactly the same observation in the same thread, so it is independent from the user.
JMcB, Jaska, JonikW like this post
I had it too and when refreshing the page, the posts from other threads disappear.
JMcB likes this post
I've been investigating this issue and I have the same guess as you: it is something related to "New posts, unread posts etc" route. Now the reason that happens is still a mystery for me, but I will keep searching for the answer!
JonikW, leonardo, JMcB And 4 others like this post
Thank you. Fortunately it is not so severe problem, because we now know to refresh the page if we see off-topic messages in threads.
~ Per aspera ad hominem ~
Y-DNA: N-Z1936 >> CTS8565 >> BY22114 (Savonian)
mtDNA: H5a1e (Northern Fennoscandian)

Check for new replies