Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
On the autosomal side of things FTDNA is absolutely ok, its main problem is the low number of testers in the data base.
Contrary to Ancestry, you don't need a subscription to see the full tree, they show matches in common without a ridiculously high threshold, they don't sort matches with Timber out, provide a chromosome browser and soon haplogroups.

A higher system performance and stability, plus way more testers, and they would be fine.
Capsian20, jdbreazeale, ArmandoR1b And 1 others like this post
I'm obviously a huge fan of FTDNA, but that doesn't mean there is no room for improvement, especially when it comes to Family Finder.

However, I don't really see a downside to this new Y-DNA haplogroup feature - except for the fact that it's taking them too long to roll it out, and they should not have gotten out over their skis announcing it before they were really ready.
jdbreazeale, ArmandoR1b, Manofthehour And 1 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
I think this sounds like a useful feature - even if the predicted haplogroup is broad, iut would be great to get a sense of which Family Finder matches could/could not be Y-DNA matches.

Just noticed a new alert on Family Finder when checking match list. It reads:

Quote:The option to download your matches list and segment data is currently unavailable as we work on enhancements. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
ArmandoR1b, jdbreazeale, rmstevens2 like this post
(11-24-2023, 11:30 PM)Nick1234 Wrote: I think this sounds like a useful feature - even if the predicted haplogroup is broad, iut would be great to get a sense of which Family Finder matches could/could not be Y-DNA matches.

Quote:The option to download your matches list and segment data is currently unavailable as we work on enhancements. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

As nice as it would be, it might be an euphemism for "23andMe got into trouble because of such a feature, we don't want to get into trouble as well, that's why we shut it down as some sort of preventive action, until we know how to deal with the problem. But who knows what's going on behind closed doors.
rmstevens2, jdbreazeale, ArmandoR1b like this post
(11-25-2023, 12:14 AM)Riverman Wrote:
(11-24-2023, 11:30 PM)Nick1234 Wrote: I think this sounds like a useful feature - even if the predicted haplogroup is broad, iut would be great to get a sense of which Family Finder matches could/could not be Y-DNA matches.

As nice as it would be, it might be an euphemism for "23andMe got into trouble because of such a feature, we don't want to get into trouble as well, that's why we shut it down as some sort of preventive action, until we know how to deal with the problem. But who knows what's going on behind closed doors.

May not have download, but the data is readily available and easy enough to "download" if needed.
rmstevens2, Capsian20, Riverman like this post

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(11-25-2023, 12:24 AM)AimSmall Wrote:
(11-25-2023, 12:14 AM)Riverman Wrote:

May not have download, but the data is readily available and easy enough to "download" if needed.

You are right. My impression is that a lot of this is just about making it more difficult to get a big mass of data from a few breached accounts I guess. Not impossible, just more difficult. Same on MyHeritage. 23andMe on the other hand tried to shut it down completely, for obvious reasons.
rmstevens2 likes this post
(11-24-2023, 07:38 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I'm obviously a huge fan of FTDNA, but that doesn't mean there is no room for improvement, especially when it comes to Family Finder.

However, I don't really see a downside to this new Y-DNA haplogroup feature - except for the fact that it's taking them too long to roll it out, and they should not have gotten out over their skis announcing it before they were really ready.

Thinking about it, perhaps i was a bit harsh.  One thing I didn't know is that you can see Y haplogroup already for those who have one.  The only problem is that the filter lists SNPs alphabetically. which is not very useful for a massive haplogroup like R1b.

The other thing I was wondering is if they are planning to tweak the autosomal matching criteria at all.  For example, you could have a Y match 300 years ago, who you would want to contact about doing Y-testing, but if they don't know meet the current autosomal match threshold, then you wouldn't know about them.

Hopefully, it is something they will launch and refine, rather than being a one off.
rmstevens2 and jdbreazeale like this post
If the autosomal matches are too small, its no longer a safe match. The most annoying issue about the new feature is that they don't show the haplogroups of all the uploads. That's a real problem, because quite obviously a huge portion of the FTDNA autosomal users come from raw data uploads.
rmstevens2 and ArmandoR1b like this post
(11-23-2023, 02:07 PM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 09:00 AM)Jalisciense Wrote: I wrote it because here in Mexico we just have AncestryDNA and MyHeritageDNA, so we cannot know our mtDNA except if one of them implement it.

Besides there are enough SNP's in the raw data to get our Y-DNA using Morley, clade finder or even ADNTRO, but not the mtDNA.

FamilytreeDNA is the lab that does the testing for MyHeritage. https://blog.myheritage.com/2016/11/myhe...-answered/ If you transfer your MyHeritage kit to FTDNA you should be able to order an mtDNA test from FTDNA using the existing saliva sample provided to myHeritage. Try it and let us know what happens - https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

If it works, hopefully you also decide to get Big-700 for you, your relatives and you convince your friends to do it also.

You can also order for a kit to be sent to you to Guadalajara from FTDNA. I have done it the past to Guadalajara. It was before Covid though. It was sent through regular mail both ways and it did take a long time but it was received in Guadalajara and Houston. You could also have a friend or relative send you a kit through one of the small bus services that do direct routes. I know of one that goes from Dallas to Ojuelos de Jalisco. Also if anyone ever travels between U.S. and Mexico they can take some kits with them. A cousin from Jalisco just did it recently.

Thanks for replying, and it's a shame about mtDNA and Y-DNA in AncestryDNA.

In Q&A there is this:

"Once I transfer my autosomal DNA file, will FamilyTreeDNA be able to give me Y-DNA and/or mtDNA results?
No. An autosomal DNA transferred data file only contains information on your autosomal DNA.

However, if you are a genetic male, you will receive your Y-DNA haplogroup but no other Y-DNA features such as Y-DNA matches."

The problem is sending back the kit from Mexico to USA, I have read that the laws about international shipping is very strict here, and very hard (And a lot of many stuff to do) so many people try it but were rejected when they wanted to send a DNA test.

So if you were able to do it from Mexico to USA, could you explain me how did you do? Did you tell them it was a DNA test for example?
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2
(11-29-2023, 01:57 PM)Riverman Wrote: If the autosomal matches are too small, its no longer a safe match. The most annoying issue about the new feature is that they don't show the haplogroups of all the uploads. That's a real problem, because quite obviously a huge portion of the FTDNA autosomal users come from raw data uploads.

Understood but let me explain my issue.

My paternal line brick wall is with an ancestor who was born in 1798.  Now to break this brick wall on FTDNA, I need:

My ancestor to have had a brother or brothers
AND
those brothers to have all male line descendants alive today
AND 
one of those descendants to test or have tested on FTDNA

Now my odds aren't already great but if we're then adding the autosomal threshold it gets harder.  The issue is that if I have a match with someone at Y-37, i can get in touch and suggest they upgrade to a higher levl test, but if someone has my haplogroup but doesn't match the autosomal threshold then how do i know they even exist?
jdbreazeale likes this post
(11-30-2023, 07:02 PM)Loderingo Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 01:57 PM)Riverman Wrote: If the autosomal matches are too small, its no longer a safe match. The most annoying issue about the new feature is that they don't show the haplogroups of all the uploads. That's a real problem, because quite obviously a huge portion of the FTDNA autosomal users come from raw data uploads.

Understood but let me explain my issue.

My paternal line brick wall is with an ancestor who was born in 1798.  Now to break this brick wall on FTDNA, I need:

My ancestor to have had a brother or brothers
AND
those brothers to have all male line descendants alive today
AND 
one of those descendants to test or have tested on FTDNA

Now my odds aren't already great but if we're then adding the autosomal threshold it gets harder.  The issue is that if I have a match with someone at Y-37, i can get in touch and suggest they upgrade to a higher levl test, but if someone has my haplogroup but doesn't match the autosomal threshold then how do i know they even exist?
1798 is still reasonably close and results in solid matches more often than not. Some generations earlier look much worse, but it depends on how many descendants exist and have tested.
To increase your chances, you should test your father, uncle, aunt, cousins etc. on your paternal side. Every additional relative tested increases the likelihood of getting a match further back in time.
From what I have read (unless I am misinformed), the Y-DNA assignments to be added will be very basic. Enough to capture interest for people to order a test maybe. So basic in fact, that if they belong to a specific R1a clade, the most to be reported is M417 (if that), and won't be surprised if it's only M198 reported. In other words it's useless.
Riverman and Jalisciense like this post
(11-30-2023, 09:16 PM)okshtunas Wrote: From what I have read (unless I am misinformed), the Y-DNA assignments to be added will be very basic. Enough to capture interest for people to order a test maybe. So basic in fact, that if they belong to a specific R1a clade, the most to be reported is M417 (if that), and won't be surprised if it's only M198 reported. In other words it's useless.

I understand it will be at least as good as what 23andMe currently reports and in some cases better. At 23andMe my Y-DNA haplogroup is reported as R-Z18021, which is not too bad. That's well upstream of my Big Y-700 terminal SNP, but it's far enough downstream that, if a Family Finder match with my surname gets that, I can be pretty sure he is a Y-line relative.
Riverman, Jalisciense, jdbreazeale And 1 others like this post

Evidently FTDNA is starting to roll out the Family Finder Y-DNA haplogroups today, although none of my matches, including my sons and grandsons, has one yet.

Roberta Estes says:

Quote:Big News! FamilyTreeDNA is delivering holiday gifts early!

Y DNA
 haplogroups are beginning to be delivered as a free benefit to men who took the Family Finder test at FamilyTreeDNA. This is the first wave of a staggered rollout. Haplogroup results will be delivered to several thousand people at a time, in batches, beginning today.

FamilyTreeDNA Provides Y DNA Haplogroups from Family Finder Autosomal Tests
jdbreazeale and Jalisciense like this post

(12-01-2023, 01:32 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Evidently FTDNA is starting to roll out the Family Finder Y-DNA haplogroups today, although none of my matches, including my sons and grandsons, has one yet.

Roberta Estes says:

Quote:Big News! FamilyTreeDNA is delivering holiday gifts early!

Y DNA
 haplogroups are beginning to be delivered as a free benefit to men who took the Family Finder test at FamilyTreeDNA. This is the first wave of a staggered rollout. Haplogroup results will be delivered to several thousand people at a time, in batches, beginning today.

FamilyTreeDNA Provides Y DNA Haplogroups from Family Finder Autosomal Tests

I didn't take its DNA test, but I use the MyHeritageDNA raw data, so do you know if I would have it too?
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 60.8% Mesoamerican & Andean, 21% European, 14.9% MENA and 3.3% Nigerian

[1] "penalty= 0.001"
[1] "Ncycles= 1000"
[1] "distance%=2.1116"

Jalisciense

Iberian EMA,50.2
Native American,34.6
Guanche,7.4
Levantine EBA,4.6
African,3.2