Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Beer!
One of my 8th great grandfathers (securely documented), Otho Holland, 1660-1701, owned an inn at London Towne, Ann Arundel County, Maryland. I'm guessing he brewed his own beer, since that was pretty standard for innkeepers back then, but I don't have any direct evidence that he did. Maybe his wife, Mehitabel Larkin (1666-1750), was the brewer.
JMcB, JonikW, Webb like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
(11-17-2023, 01:24 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: One of my 8th great grandfathers (securely documented), Otho Holland, 1660-1701, owned an inn at London Towne, Ann Arundel County, Maryland. I'm guessing he brewed his own beer, since that was pretty standard for innkeepers back then, but I don't have any direct evidence that he did. Maybe his wife, Mehitabel Larkin (1666-1750), was the brewer.

Was your Hollands English?
JMcB and JonikW like this post
(11-17-2023, 02:29 PM)Webb Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 01:24 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: One of my 8th great grandfathers (securely documented), Otho Holland, 1660-1701, owned an inn at London Towne, Ann Arundel County, Maryland. I'm guessing he brewed his own beer, since that was pretty standard for innkeepers back then, but I don't have any direct evidence that he did. Maybe his wife, Mehitabel Larkin (1666-1750), was the brewer.

Yes, although I suspect that with that surname they were probably the descendants of Dutch immigrants to England. The farthest back I can get on that line with any real data, beyond merely a name, is Francis Gabriel Holland, born in London in 1595 and died in Jamestown, Virginia, in 1660.
Webb, JonikW, JMcB like this post

(11-17-2023, 05:39 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote:

Yes, although I suspect that with that surname they were probably the descendants of Dutch immigrants to England. The farthest back I can get on that line with any real data beyond a name is Francis Gabriel Holland, born in London in 1595 and died in Jamestown, Virginia, in 1660.

I ask because I have a group of Hollands I match at 25 and 37 markers.  They disappear at 67 markers, and then one reappears at 111 markers.  They list a James Holland b. 1799 in Montgomery County, N.C.  So far all of my 25 marker matches who have done the BigY are under Z220.  Not necessarily my branch of Z220, but various other distant branches.  The only thing I can come up with is that our str string must be very close to modal for Z220.
rmstevens2, JonikW, JMcB like this post
(11-17-2023, 05:58 PM)Webb Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 05:39 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote:

Yes, although I suspect that with that surname they were probably the descendants of Dutch immigrants to England. The farthest back I can get on that line with any real data beyond a name is Francis Gabriel Holland, born in London in 1595 and died in Jamestown, Virginia, in 1660.

I ask because I have a group of Hollands I match at 25 and 37 markers.  They disappear at 67 markers, and then one reappears at 111 markers.  They list a James Holland b. 1799 in Montgomery County, N.C.  So far all of my 25 marker matches who have done the BigY are under Z220.  Not necessarily my branch of Z220, but various other distant branches.  The only thing I can come up with is that our str string must be very close to modal for Z220.

It wouldn't surprise me if that is a relative of mine. I have a James B. Holland, 1700-1753, in my tree, born and died in London Towne, Ann Arundel County, Maryland, but then the tree takes a female turn to Elizabeth Holland (1730-1803), his daughter, my 6th great grandmother, who also lived all her life in Maryland, and I quit following the Holland family.

Maryland is HUGE in the history of my dad's family. Glad I lived there for awhile when I was a kid. Too bad it's so expensive and tax heavy now. It's a beautiful place. If I could afford it, I would live the rest of my life in Annapolis.
Webb, JMcB, JonikW like this post

Still drinking Old Chub Scotch Ale lately, 8% ABV, from Oskar Blues Brewery. I think it's definitely one of the best North American beers. 

It has a very rich, malty taste. 

[Image: Old-Chub-Scots-Ale.jpg]
Webb, Gray Fox, JMcB And 1 others like this post

(11-19-2023, 03:07 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Still drinking Old Chub Scotch Ale lately, 8% ABV, from Oskar Blues Brewery. I think it's definitely one of the best North American beers. 

It has a very rich, malty taste. 

[Image: Old-Chub-Scots-Ale.jpg]

I use to love that beer but unfortunately, the place I got it from moved. So I now have to rely on whatever is available at our local Supermarket. Which is usually Becks, Heineken, Fat Tire Ale & Shock Top Belgian White. Lately I’ve been sticking with Shock Top because it’s a little bit cheaper and I also happen to like it. Perhaps, I’ll see if I can get someone to deliver me a case of Old Chub Scotch Ale. It would be nice to have it again. Especially, as I usually prefer dark beers. Unfortunately, they’re harder to find down here. In New York, I could get anything I wanted.

[Image: 639312.png?fit=clip&h=798&w=798&auto=for...ixjs-3.6.1]
Gray Fox, rmstevens2, JonikW like this post
Paper Trail: 42% English, 31.5% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
LDNA©: Britain & Ireland: 89.3% (51.5% English, 37.8% Scottish & Irish), N.W. Germanic: 7.8%, Europe South: 2.9% (Southern Italy & Sicily)
BigY 700: I1-Z141 >F2642 >Y3649 >Y7198 (c.365 AD) >Y168300 (c.410 AD) >A13248 (c.880 AD) >A13252 (c.1055 AD) >FT81015 (c.1285 AD) >A13243 (c.1620 AD) >FT80854 (c.1700 AD) >FT80630 (1893 AD).
I like Shock Top, too. Haven't drunk any of it in awhile. I need to fix that!
JonikW, Gray Fox, JMcB like this post

I wish I could try Shock Top and the other American beers you're discussing. Old Chub wins me over just from the tartan can. I'm drinking an Estrella Galicia from Lidl. This is the version I saw everywhere in Valencia last month when I was too busy trying the Galician and Asturian ciders to buy one (I blame my West Country scrumpy-loving blood). I'd say the version that I did try and posted an image of at the time was more flavoursome although this standard one is going down well. The one I posted from Spain was apparently their original recipe.

[Image: PXL-20231119-203402199-PORTRAIT.jpg]
rmstevens2, Gray Fox, JMcB And 1 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(11-19-2023, 08:53 PM)JonikW Wrote: I wish I could try Shock Top and the other American beers you're discussing. Old Chub wins me over just from the tartan can. I'm drinking an Estrella Galicia from Lidl. This is the version I saw everywhere in Valencia last month when I was too busy trying the Galician and Asturian ciders to buy one (I blame my West Country scrumpy-loving blood). I'd say the version that I did try and posted an image of at the time was more flavoursome although this standard one is going down well. The one I posted from Spain was apparently their original recipe.

This is the one i came across in the states.  Not bad, but not as good as Estrella Damm, in my opinion, anyway.  Have you ever tried any of the Innis &  Gunn’s lineup?  The brewery is in Scotland and they age the ales in whiskey casks.

https://www.innisandgunn.com
JonikW, Gray Fox, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
(11-19-2023, 10:49 PM)Webb Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 08:53 PM)JonikW Wrote: I wish I could try Shock Top and the other American beers you're discussing. Old Chub wins me over just from the tartan can. I'm drinking an Estrella Galicia from Lidl. This is the version I saw everywhere in Valencia last month when I was too busy trying the Galician and Asturian ciders to buy one (I blame my West Country scrumpy-loving blood). I'd say the version that I did try and posted an image of at the time was more flavoursome although this standard one is going down well. The one I posted from Spain was apparently their original recipe.

This is the one i came across in the states.  Not bad, but not as good as Estrella Damm, in my opinion, anyway.  Have you ever tried any of the Innis &  Gunn’s lineup?  The brewery is in Scotland and they age the ales in whiskey casks.

https://www.innisandgunn.com

I remember enjoying some of their beers many years ago but it's been a very long time! I'm pretty sure some of the big supermarkets here still stock them so I'll have a look next time I find myself shopping. I'm in the fortunate position now where my wife normally does the weekly shop in Lidl while I'm still working and she just picks some beers for me herself. Alongside Lidl's own German offering, there's normally some Budvar in the haul, which I enjoy, and I think it must have been Spanish week, hence the Estrella Galicia. I like how Lidl has rotating weeks where a different country's food and drink are given a top billing. In the UK, Lidl also do some decent British ales brewed for their own stores, and in Kent they also sell some of the Shepherd Neame range, a favourite local brewer of mine.
JMcB, rmstevens2, Webb And 1 others like this post
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
I can't resist posting this now, although I feel obliged to say that other supermarkets are available... I was surprised and overjoyed when last week's haul included this Lidl's own beer brewed by Thornbridge. I've been to their brewery in the Peak District and think there is no finer craft brewer in England. Kudos to Lidl for sealing that deal.

[Image: PXL-20231115-203246731-PORTRAIT-2.jpg]
Gray Fox, Webb, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
(11-19-2023, 11:59 PM)JonikW Wrote: I can't resist posting this now, although I feel obliged to say that other supermarkets are available... I was surprised and overjoyed when last week's haul included this Lidl's own beer brewed by Thornbridge. I've been to their brewery in the Peak District and think there is no finer craft brewer in England. Kudos to Lidl for sealing that deal.

[Image: PXL-20231115-203246731-PORTRAIT-2.jpg]

It looks wonderful!!!  I really enjoy stout, but it seems to trigger acid reflux, ie GERD.  When Covid first hit and Pennsylvania went into semi lockdown, I bought two cases of Murphy’s Irish Stout in the draught cans, as a panic purchase as I didn’t know what was coming and I could live without most other beers, but not stout.
rmstevens2, Gray Fox, JonikW And 1 others like this post
Where we lived in Virginia there were several Lidl stores. They would stock some interesting beers every now and then.

Here where we are now there are no Lidl stores. We have Aldi stores here (Lidl's fellow German competitor). The Aldi stores here don't ever seem to have any beer that causes me to turn my head, unfortunately, and right down the street from our usual Aldi there's a huge chain liquor store called Harley's that has a really great variety of excellent beers (not to mention a huge selection of wines and distilled spirits). Harley's prices are also good.
JMcB, Gray Fox, Webb And 1 others like this post

(11-20-2023, 01:30 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Where we lived in Virginia there were several Lidl stores. They would stock some interesting beers every now and then.

Here where we are now there are no Lidl stores. We have Aldi stores here (Lidl's fellow German competitor). The Aldi stores here don't ever seem to have any beer that causes me to turn my head, unfortunately, and right down the street from our usual Aldi there's a huge chain liquor store called Harley's that has a really great variety of excellent beers (not to mention a huge selection of wines and distilled spirits). Harley's prices are also good.

I’m relatively slow at times, but I just realized that there was a Lidl on 234 near Dumfries and I never knew what the store was until just now.  It was built after I moved to Pittsburgh.  Even JonikW’s reference went over my head until you just mentioned it.  I actually like Wegman’s the best as far as their beer selection.  I find the store fairly pretentious, otherwise.  Rui and I watched a lady spend a gross amount of money on groceries that would have cost about half what she paid, had she shopped at Aldi.  But to each their own.  We don’t have Wegman’s in Pittsburgh, and we are just now able to buy beer at the grocery stores, however, there is a single purchase cap on the beer.
JonikW, Gray Fox, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post