Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
U3b1c mtDNA is Romani line
U3b1c  the maternal haplogroup of a significant proportion of Europe’s Roma population acquired prior to 1100 AD. 
Uploaded DNA results at YFULL similarly support this, showing the U3b1c clades carried by modern Finnish and Iberian Romani are estimated to have already diverged and diversified within Romani populations at a date prior to 1100 AD.

The closest modern match with the Roma U3b1c signature mutation, identified by the Barcelona University team, was in the Southern Levant [Jordan]. This individual shares an ancient direct maternal common ancestor with European Roma, estimated to have lived between 880 BC-680 AD.

U3b1c has still not been found in any ancient sample yet, but sister clade U3b1a is found within that time frame, in the region of Romani origin, the female of the Indo-Aryan Gandharan culture, excavated at Loe Banr, Swat Valley, Pakistan, carbon dated to 911-822 BC.

Significantly earlier samples are also evident in the Southern Levant, as shown in my article above, in the Bronze Age female excavated at Ashkelon, Israel, carbon dated to 1746-1522 BC and a male buried at the Baqah, Jordan, carbon dated to 1550-1150 BC.

Contemporary Levantine Bronze Age U3b samples, found at Megiddo, were genetic outliers, with significant raised Steppe ancestry. They carried the paternal R1a Y-Haplogroup clade associated with Indo-Aryan movements into India and the Middle East. Several online genetic bloggers have suggested this could indicate Hurrian Mitanni ancestry for these Megiddo samples.

Two other new U3b male samples, published in 2022, from Dinkah Tepe, and Hasanlu, North West Iran, dated 1224-931 BC  are also believed to be associated with the Hurrian Mitanni culture, having significant gene sharing with the Indo-Aryan Ghandara samples in the Swat Valley

All this adds further weight to the theory mtDNA U3b1c may have initially been spread, like it's sibling U3b1a, from a homeland in the Middle East, into Iran and the Swat Valley, by the wide sweeping Bronze Age movements of the highly mobile Indo-Aryan culture, and was either present in the Romani community from their initial genesis, as an emerging distinct ethnic group, in Medieval North West India 500-1000 AD, or assimilated by them very soon after.
FR9CZ6 and Capsian20 like this post
Salkhit 625 SNP, Otzi 803 SNP, Mik15 798 SNP, RISE493 1335 SNP, I11456 1024 SNP, I7718 980 SNP, I9041 512S
Target: tipirneni:dante
Chebyshev distance: 0.64%
79.0 IRN_SIS_BA2
12.4 ITA_Daunian
8.6 Poland_Viking.SG

Check for new replies