Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Battles Your Ancestors Fought In
I would like to restart the thread that was begun by rothaer on AG and revived by Beowulf on the first GA.

For starters, I’ll repost an earlier entry:

Below is a partial transcript of my 4th Great Grandfather’s pension application. In which he details his service during the Revolutionary War. It was a follow up to a previous application that was submitted in 1832. As you will see, his name was Robert Fleming.

Georgia Hall County

Personally appeared before me the undersigned a Justice of the Inferior Court in and for the said County, Robert Flemming, who being sworn deposes and saith that by reason of old age and the consequent loss of memory he cannot swear positively as to the precise length of his Service but according to the best of his recollection he served not less than the periods mentioned below and in the following grades

Some time in the Spring (I cannot say what month) of the year 1779 I was drafted for a two months tour of service as a private militiaman under Capt. Hannah and attached to a Regiment under the command of Col. Bratton and marched to a place called the Salt Kitchers [Salkehatchee] where we collected a drove of beeves and sent home by a company of Cavalry to General Pinkeys [sic, Pinckney's] Army on Cooper River I remained in the neighborhood engaged in the business of collecting beeves until my term of service ended I then returned home.

Sometime in the same year I was again drafted for two months under Capt. Black as a private militia man and attached to Col. Watson's Regiment and marched to Charleston where I remained until my term of Service ended and returned home. Shortly after getting home I volunteered for three months as a mounted Riflemen under Capt. Hannah and was put under the command of Major Moore and Col. Hathorn [Hawthorn] and joined the Army under the command of General Sumter and marched to a place called Rocky Mount in Camden District South Carolina where we had an engagement with the enemy. Col. Neel one of the American officers was killed in this engagement. I omitted to mention that Col. Bratton was also with us at this place. The enemy were in the Fort which we set fire to but a shower of rain commenced falling in a short time which with the exertions of the enemy within extinguished the fire and we failed to drive them out.

We then marched up near the Catawba River and encamped until our term of service expired. General Sumter was unwilling to discharge us, owing to the scarcity of men and the immense number of Tories then in the Country. Upon which Major Moore and Col. Hawthorn agreed that they, with as many of us as they could prevail upon to return as volunteers, would return as soon as we could go home and get fresh supply of clothing. Which promise they fulfilled and I returned to with them to where General Sumter lay with his Army on the Catawba River who received us and then marched to a place called the hanging Rock where we had another engagement and defeated the enemy with considerable loss there part and some hours. Capt. William Ritchey who had the command of the company I was in was killed in this engagement. I was then a private in a company of mounted Riflemen.

We were then marched to a place called Friday's Fort on the Congaree River. Where we had another engagement where I shot and killed a Tory and was also shot myself in the cheek the wound was slight but bled considerably. However we failed to dislodge the enemy and were in the most imminent danger of being taken ourselves by a parcel of the British who came up in our rear. We however made a safe retreat without any loss though had to march all night and reached Thompson's Fort the next morning and found the enemy in possession and drove in their Picket guard. We here were informed of a Company of the British that were on the road from Charleston and near the Fort which company consisted of about 200. Our officers placed a part of our men at the Fort to keep the enemy within and with the balance advanced and met the Company of British and defeated them and took Six baggage wagons and all the men except what were killed.

We then marched to a place called the Bluff on the Santee River where we met the enemy who being apprised of our coming had formed and concealed themselves on each side of the road but some of them being too anxious commenced firing before we had advanced far between them. We succeeded in making our retreat up with what loss I am not able to say.

We then went with General Sumter after his family at his residence. On our return march near Camden we were attacked by a party of the British which we defeated these men were sent out from Camden by Lord Rodden [Francis Rawdon] as I afterwards understood. We went on with General Sumter to North Carolina, and shortly after marched out and attacked a parcel of the enemy under Capt. Hook [Huck] and killed the Capt. and his officers and took nearly all his man. We then marched to Ramsour's in North Carolina in Rutherford County where we attacked a parcel of British and Tories and defeated them. I do not recollect who had the command of the British at this place.

I was then discharged by General Sumter having served eight months as a private in a company of mounted Rifle men as a volunteer from the time I joined his company on the Catawba River and for which eight months I relinquish all claim to a pension it being volunteer and I being informed that the department don't recognize such as being entitled to pay (unless the department should think I am entitled to it), the above eight months Service and the three months tour preceding it are put down as eleven months Service in the original declaration not knowing at the time that it was absolutely necessary to designate the several tours so minutely.

Shortly after getting home after being discharged by General Sumter a draft was ordered for two months I volunteered as a private in a mounted Rifle Company under Capt. Hannah and was attached to Col. Bratton's Regiment Major Moore and Col. Hawthorn were also along with the Army and marched to Friday's Fort. Where we remained until General Lee marched up from Thompson's Fort, when we attacked and took the Fort

We then marched to Biggin Church and attacked the enemy who were in the Church. The enemy set fire to the Church in the night and commenced a retreat but we overtook them in the morning and took and killed several but I do not recollect the exact number. Col. Washington [William Washington] with his Cavalry were with us on this tour or at this place. My term of service having ended I returned home and for which nine months service I claim a pension.

Answer
1st I was born in Baltimore County State of Maryland in the year 1759 but cannot say what month
2nd I have no record of my age and can only tell my age by that of my brother
3rd I was living in Camden District State of South Carolina when called into service, and have resided in Franklin County State of Georgia for the last forty years
4th I was drafted in the service twice and volunteered three times
5th I recollect to have seen Col. Washington who commanded a corps Cavalry also Col. Hampton who was aid to General Sumter
6th I don't recollect ever to have received a written discharge
7th William McDonald Esquire, Major John Bush and Col. G W Hudson all persons in my present neighborhood to whom I am well known

Sworn to and Subscribed before me this 13th day of March 1834.
S/ M. M. McAfee, JIC

S/ Robert Fleming

[Veteran was pensioned at the rate of $56.66 per annum commencing March 4th, 1831, for service as a private for 17 months in the South Carolina militia. His widow, Martha Fleming, was pensioned in a like amount.]

From: Southern Campaigns, American Revolution Pension Statements & Rosters
Jalisciense, Beowulf, alexfritz And 11 others like this post
Paper Trail: 42% English, 31.5% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
LDNA©: Britain & Ireland: 89.3% (51.5% English, 37.8% Scottish & Irish), N.W. Germanic: 7.8%, Europe South: 2.9% (Southern Italy & Sicily)
BigY 700: I1-Z141 >F2642 >Y3649 >Y7198 (c.365 AD) >Y168300 (c.410 AD) >A13248 (c.880 AD) >A13252 (c.1055 AD) >FT81015 (c.1285 AD) >A13243 (c.1620 AD) >FT80854 (c.1700 AD) >FT80630 (1893 AD).
The following is rendition of a Battle my 2nd Great Grandfather fought in, against the Union General, Ulysses S. Grant. Where his army was forced to surrender and he and his colleagues were captured and taken as prisoners of war. He was in the 23rd Mississippi. Which at this time was also known as the 3rd Mississippi.

While on service in Kentucky the regiment was known as the Third Mississippi. In the winter, Gen. Charles Clark was in command of a brigade at Hopkinsville, including the First and Third. A great battle was expected along the line established by General Johnston, but Grant advanced with an army and gunboats from Paducah down the Cumberland River, compelling the abandonment of the Confederate positions. Part of Johnston's command was thrown into Fort Donelson while the remainder fell back toward Nashville.

At Fort Donelson, the First and Third, with two other regiments, formed the brigade commanded by Colonel Davidson, February 9 to 15. They were under fire in the trenches after Grant began his attack on the 13th, and on the 15th, Colonel Davidson being ill, the brigade went into battle under Colonel Simonton. They were near the extreme left of Pillow's wing of the Confederate forces, and were warmly engaged with troops of McClernand's Corps, making a gallant charge which gained the crest of a hill in front, and pressing on for a mile or more, after being reinforced. Later in the day, when Grant was regaining the lost ground, they were recalled to the trenches, and were included in the surrender that followed.

[…]

The morning after the battle, it seems to have not been generally known in the Federal army that capitulation had been arranged between General Grant and General Buckner in the night, Gen. Lew Wallace, commanding one of Grant's divisions, was preparing to attack, when a white flag appeared. Wallace wrote in his report: "The result was that I rode to General Buckner's quarters, sending Lieutenant Ross, with Major Rogers of the Third Mississippi Regiment, to inform General Grant that the place was surrendered and my troops in possession of the town and all the works on the right."

[…]

Of the Third Regiment, 546 were engaged in the battle and 561 were surrendered. As prisoners of war they were confined at Springfield, Ill., Indianapolis, and Camp Douglas, Chicago, where a considerable number died and are buried. A considerable number also escaped from the surrender … The final statements show that the regiment lost in this first campaign, 91 died of disease in Kentucky and Tennessee; 93 died at Indianapolis and Chicago in military prisons; 6 killed or died of wounds. The number of the regiment was changed to Twenty-third by order of the War Department, November 19, 1861. After being exchanged in the fall of 1862 the regiment was reorganised and recruited and re-enlisted for the war.

Here are some maps showing how the battle played out. His regiment is listed as the 23rd Mississippi (23 MS) here. Which is the designation it received in 1861.

[Image: Fort%20Donelson--February%2015%201862--F...0%29_0.pdf]

[Image: Fort%20Donelson--February%2015%201862--T...020%29.pdf]
Running4Borders, Gray Fox, Dts And 5 others like this post
Paper Trail: 42% English, 31.5% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German, 6.25% Sicilian & 1.5% French.
LDNA©: Britain & Ireland: 89.3% (51.5% English, 37.8% Scottish & Irish), N.W. Germanic: 7.8%, Europe South: 2.9% (Southern Italy & Sicily)
BigY 700: I1-Z141 >F2642 >Y3649 >Y7198 (c.365 AD) >Y168300 (c.410 AD) >A13248 (c.880 AD) >A13252 (c.1055 AD) >FT81015 (c.1285 AD) >A13243 (c.1620 AD) >FT80854 (c.1700 AD) >FT80630 (1893 AD).
I have a Scottish ancestor who was shot dead at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. More Scots fought against the Jacobites than for them in 1745-46, and this painting shows a kilted highlander dealing my Lanarkshire ancestor his mortal wound.

The highlander and his men had surrendered, according to the account I have in a separate engraving of the time (passed down through the generations), and their lives had been "spared". This one struck back when my several times great grandfather's pistol clumsily fell from his horse. The killer and his fellow prisoners were immediately "cut to pieces" according to the account; presumably by those pretty angry looking redcoats. 

Personally, I can understand the less extreme people on both sides and regret the horrific loss of life. But it was a big event in the history of our island as the last pitched battle fought on this soil. Long may it continue that way.

[Image: rebelgratitudecolourps-copy-2013x1702.jpg]
Gray Fox, CelticGerman, alexfritz And 6 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
(10-14-2023, 08:19 AM)CelticGerman Wrote: My maternal grandfather during WWII. Mobilized end of August 1940. Anti-aircraft defense in Hamburg, Lübeck, Braunschweig. 1944 in the Netherlands and in Belgium (Arnhem, 's-Hertogenbosch, Albert Canal). Close to Eindhoven during allied operation Market Garden. Captured in May 1945 in East Frisia. P.O.W. until July 1945.

The picture shows my maternal grandfather with my mother in Hamburg in 1940.

You tell a honest story Celtic German, I respect that. Undoubtedly not intended by JmcB, but praise of the glorious role of the ancestors is lurking. The reality is a nuanced one. I was raised with the story of grandparents and great-grandparents (not fare from East Frisia). Almost at the end of the Second World War, the NSKK members wanted to take revenge on the civilian population. They gathered the entire male population of the village into the church. They were about to blow up the church, my grandfather told me about soldiers waving hand grenades. It was only with a last minute intervention by the NAZI mayor that it was abandoned.... With thoughts of what is now happening in Ukraine and Israel, we have learned little from it and we will learn little from it, little heroism, a lot of death and destruction and many changing roles of perpetrators and victims...a
JonikW, CelticGerman, Gray Fox And 4 others like this post
(10-14-2023, 10:12 AM)Rodoorn Wrote:
(10-14-2023, 08:19 AM)CelticGerman Wrote: My maternal grandfather during WWII. Mobilized end of August 1940. Anti-aircraft defense in Hamburg, Lübeck, Braunschweig. 1944 in the Netherlands and in Belgium (Arnhem, 's-Hertogenbosch, Albert Canal). Close to Eindhoven during allied operation Market Garden. Captured in May 1945 in East Frisia. P.O.W. until July 1945.

The picture shows my maternal grandfather with my mother in Hamburg in 1940.

You tell a honest story Celtic German, I respect that. Undoubtedly not intended by JmcB, but praise of the glorious role of the ancestors is lurking. The reality is a nuanced one. I was raised with the story of grandparents and great-grandparents (not fare from East Frisia). Almost at the end of the Second World War, the NSKK members wanted to take revenge on the civilian population. They gathered the entire male population of the village into the church. They were about to blow up the church, my grandfather told me about soldiers waving hand grenades. It was only with a last minute intervention by the NAZI mayor that it was abandoned.... With thoughts of what is now happening in Ukraine and Israel, we have learned little from it and we will learn little from it, little heroism, a lot of death and destruction and many changing roles of perpetrators and victims...a

Wars are always horrific things that involve the death of innocents on all sides. I like how on this thread we have the chance to air our own families' role in these events dispassionately as part of histories that formed before we were born. I'm glad I don't carry  CelticGerman's own burden of the events of the 1930s and 40s (my dad's childhood home was bombed by the Luftwaffe in World War II) but I'm also pleased we can admit the sins of our ancestors here without being judged for what they did and we didn't.

I honestly think hiding things away never helped anyone. I hope we'll see a lot more posts from all sides of the ridiculous conflicts our societies have created because it's a fascinating subject.
alexfritz, Strider99, JMcB And 4 others like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
World war 1 and world war 2 that's I know
Strider99 and rmstevens2 like this post
My 7th great grandfather on my father's side.

Born in Calcutta, India 1722.

Quote:Christopher  Green,  esquire.,  Capt.  in  the  British Army,  killed  at  the
battle  of  Minden.

Quote:The Battle of Minden, Prussia was a major engagement during the Seven Years' War, fought on 1 August 1759. An Anglo-German army under the overall command of Prussian Field Marshal Ferdinand of Brunswick defeated a French army commanded by Marshal of France, Marquis de Contades.

Quote:41,000 British and Germans vs 51,000 French and Saxons

British:  2,762 killed, wounded or missing
French  7,000 killed, wounded or missing

I think he was in the 37th foot regiment as both his brother (General) and son (Lieutenant) served in this regiment.  His brother was
Sir  CHARLES  GREEN,  born  18  Dec.  1749., Knight,  created  a  Baronet,  General  in  the  British Army,  and  Colonel  37th  Regiment of  Foot.

Painting of the 37th at the Battle of Minden
[Image: 4-AAA-37th-foot-580.jpg]

22 years later the 37th was on the losing side at the Battle of Yorktown.
Quote:In 1781 the 37th’s Light Company – part of two battalions sent to reinforce Cornwallis – was involved in the British surrender at Yorktown.
rmstevens2, Strider99, JMcB And 5 others like this post
U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>FGC12381>FGC12378>FGC47869>FGC12401>FGC47875>FGC12384
50% English, 15% Welsh, 15% Scot/Ulster Scot, 5% Irish, 10% German, 2% Scandi, 2% French & Dutch), 1% India
Ancient ~40% Anglo-Saxon, ~40% Briton/Insular Celt, ~15% German, 4% Other Euro
600 AD: 55% Anglo-Saxon (CNE), 45% Pre-Anglo-Saxon Briton (WBI)
“Be more concerned with seeking the truth than winning an argument” 
Another 7th great grandfather, Frederick Starnes I, this time on my mother's side, also fought in the Seven Years war.  This War is often referred to as the first World War as battles happened in Europe, India and the Americas.

In American history, this was known as the French & Indian War

[Image: Photo149043o.jpg?442011115800AM]
JMcB, Awamp Divo, CelticGerman And 5 others like this post
U152>L2>Z49>Z142>Z150>FGC12381>FGC12378>FGC47869>FGC12401>FGC47875>FGC12384
50% English, 15% Welsh, 15% Scot/Ulster Scot, 5% Irish, 10% German, 2% Scandi, 2% French & Dutch), 1% India
Ancient ~40% Anglo-Saxon, ~40% Briton/Insular Celt, ~15% German, 4% Other Euro
600 AD: 55% Anglo-Saxon (CNE), 45% Pre-Anglo-Saxon Briton (WBI)
“Be more concerned with seeking the truth than winning an argument” 
I have an ancestor in my paternal line, who died as a soldier in Friedrichroda/Thuringia in 1636. It was the period of the terrible Thirty Years' War. The cause of death is not mentioned, but Swedish troops entered Friedrichroda in 1636. Who knows. His wife died in 1647, when Swedes plundered in Friedrichroda according to documents.

No photo, sorry.
JMcB, Strider99, Gray Fox And 2 others like this post
Known ancestry: Mecklenburg 39.4%, Hamburg 11.7%, Brandenburg 10.1%, Schleswig-Holstein 8.5%, Rheinland-Pfalz 7.7%, Niedersachsen 7.1%, Thüringen 5.5%, Denmark 4.7%, Czechia 1.8%, Hessen 1.6%, Austria 0.8%.
Genetic ancestry: Germanic Europe 64%, Sweden&Denmark 33%, Scotland 2%, Baltics 1% (ancestry).
Ancient ancestry: Yamnaya 48.0%, Anatolia 37.6%, WHG 14.4% (Davidski). Langobards, Scandinavians, Goths, Caledonian, Germania Magna.
Iron Age: Germanic 58.4%, Continental Celt 30.8%, Balto-Slavic 7.8%, Roman Italy 3%.
recently my aunt gave me some more folders of her genealogy research and i found out that my great-grandfather Johann Scharrer was actually awarded a medal during WW1; listed as a Landsturmmann of the Landwehr-Regiment Nr.8 he received the Verdienstorden 3. class with swords on 18/01/1918; but why and for what exactly remains unkown; he served in said regiment since sept. 1915 and doing abit of research myself i found that Wikipedia has articles of the divisions the Landwehr-Regiment Nr.8 was attached to and thus those are the battles he could/would have been in (14-16 en/deu 16-18 en/deu)

what else is known is that his younger brother Fritz fell in said war sometime in early 1915 serving in the 14. Inf. Reg.
listed in the list of losses 02/02/1915 (not sure which battle)
http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1355473
Gray Fox, Orentil, Rufus191 And 6 others like this post
Here's one of my paternal second great grandfathers, Captain John Holmes, Quitman Guards, Company E, 16th Mississippi Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA. That means he was a captain in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War. He began as an enlisted private. He was the father of my paternal great grandmother, Jonnie Taylor Holmes.

Captain John Holmes served in every major engagement in which Lee's Army of Northern Virginia was involved, including Gettysburg, except First Manassas (Bull Run), until he was captured near Petersburg, Virginia, during the battle for the Weldon Railroad in 1864. He was sent to the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, DC, and then transferred to the prison for officers at Fort Delaware. He was part of Stonewall Jackson's "Foot Cavalry" during Jackson's Valley Campaign in the spring of 1862.

In 1865 he was paroled and sent by steamship to Savannah, Georgia, where he was released and allowed to return home to Magnolia, Mississippi.

I know from some relatives on that line that he belonged to Y-DNA haplogroup E-V13. I don't think any of them has done the Big Y, so that's as far as it goes.

On my mother's side they fought for the Union. I guess it's a good thing they didn't run into each other back then.

[Image: Captain_John_Holmes.jpg]
Rufus191, JonikW, alexfritz And 2 others like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
To the best of my knowledge, the only battle my 3rd Great Grandfather fought in during the Civil War, was the Battle of Perryville in Kentucky. His name was Marcus Marshall and he was 2nd Lieutenant in the 41 Mississippi Infantry. You can see where they were positioned here:

(41 MS)
[Image: 800px-Perryville_1545.png]

“Considering the casualties relative to the engaged strengths of the armies, the Battle of Perryville was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. It was the largest battle fought in the state of Kentucky”.

Battle of Perryville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Perryville

Private Sam Watkins of the 1st Tennessee Infantry recognized that the Battle of Perryville was one of the most intense battles of the conflict. “I was in every battle, skirmish and march that was made by the First Tennessee Regiment during the war,” Watkins wrote, “and I do not remember of a harder contest and more evenly fought battle than that of Perryville. If it had been two men wrestling, it would have been called a ‘dog fall.’ Both sides claim the victory - both whipped.” -- Perryville Under Fire: The Aftermath of Kentucky's Largest Civil War Battle

The above would prove true for my ancestor. As he was wounded in the battle and had his arm amputated and then was taken prisoner by the Union forces. When the Confederates withdrew into Tennessee, leaving 900 of their wounded soldiers behind. He would be released 5 months later in a prisoner exchange and resign his Commission and as far as I know, he never fought again after that. 

For anyone interested, here is a brief article on the action the 41st saw on that day:

There was a Terrible Din - Brown's Brigade at Perryville: Floridians, Mississippians, and Georgians
by Taylor Bishop

https://www.westerntheatercivilwar.com/p...-georgians
Gray Fox, rmstevens2, alexfritz And 1 others like this post
(10-20-2023, 04:00 PM)JMcB Wrote: To the best of my knowledge, the only battle my 3rd Great Grandfather fought in during the Civil War, was the Battle of Perryville in Kentucky. His name was Marcus Marshall and he was 2nd Lieutenant in the 41 Mississippi Infantry. You can see where they were positioned here:

(41 MS)
[Image: 800px-Perryville_1545.png]

“Considering the casualties relative to the engaged strengths of the armies, the Battle of Perryville was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. It was the largest battle fought in the state of Kentucky”.

Battle of Perryville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Perryville

Private Sam Watkins of the 1st Tennessee Infantry recognized that the Battle of Perryville was one of the most intense battles of the conflict. “I was in every battle, skirmish and march that was made by the First Tennessee Regiment during the war,” Watkins wrote, “and I do not remember of a harder contest and more evenly fought battle than that of Perryville. If it had been two men wrestling, it would have been called a ‘dog fall.’ Both sides claim the victory - both whipped.” -- Perryville Under Fire: The Aftermath of Kentucky's Largest Civil War Battle

The above would prove true for my ancestor. As he was wounded in the battle and had his arm amputated and then was taken prisoner by the Union forces. When the Confederates withdrew into Tennessee, leaving 900 of their wounded soldiers behind. He would be released 5 months later in a prisoner exchange and resign his Commission and as far as I know, he never fought again after that. 

For anyone interested, here is a brief article on the action the 41st saw on that day:

There was a Terrible Din - Brown's Brigade at Perryville: Floridians, Mississippians, and Georgians
by Taylor Bishop

https://www.westerntheatercivilwar.com/p...-georgians

Coincidentally, I just found this in the book I purchased this morning:

“Casualties from the 41st Mississippi, which fought against the Union center, provide a good example of wounds experienced by soldiers. With 427 men engaged at Perryville, this regiment lost 21 killed and 69 wounded, or nearly 20 percent of the command. Their brigade, which included two Florida infantry regiments and a Georgia artillery battery, was commanded by Brigadier General John C. Brown, who was slightly wounded in the thigh. Their immediate commander, Colonel William F. Tucker, was severely injured in the right arm. Two lieutenants were also wounded. One, M.L. Marshall, had his “left arm shattered, and amputated,” while T.S. Slaughter died from an injury to the lungs”.

Perryville Under Fire: The Aftermath of Kentucky's Largest Civil War Battle
by  Stuart W. Sanders, Page 31
JonikW, rmstevens2, Gray Fox And 1 others like this post
The more well known brother of my ancestor Godfrey Isaacks, who also commanded a militia in Wilkes County, North Carolina during the Revolutionary war.

This particular engagement occurred in Randolph County, North Carolina.

"Patriot Col. Elijah Isaacs moved into Col. David Fanning's base camp at Cox's Mill with 300 men to stop the Loyalists' constant attacks against local Patriot forces. Col. Isaacs had been captured at the battle of Fishing Creek (SC) in August of the year before and was sent to prison in St. Augustine, Florida, so he had a score to settle with any and all Loyalists.

His men burned several Loyalist houses and one of his officers, Capt. James Stinson, hanged David Jackson for his activities back during 1776. Jackson had been captured with Col. John Pyle at Moore's Creek Bridge and then escaped from the jail in Halifax.

Col. Isaacs sent out a notice that if all Loyalists would meet with him he would give them protection. Acting Governor Alexander Martin issued a proclamation of pardon for all Loyalists except those guilty of murder, robbery, and housebreaking. The Loyalists assembled and Col. Isaacs made them prisoners, marching them to the Salisbury jail. Along the way, one was shot while trying to escape.

Col. David Fanning did not try to take on Col. Isaacs's larger army, but instead moved southeast, away from territory under the control of Patriots. After Wilmington was turned back over to the Patriots, he was unable to get supplies and ammunition to maintain larger operations. Due to this, he was no longer able to assemble large numbers of Loyalists until the end of the war."
JMcB, JonikW, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
As the first GA is going to be closing down in the near future, I thought I’d move this earlier post over here. It about an incident my 4th Great Grand Uncle lived through back in 1793. Which is recounted in the affidavit he gave at the time. While it was more along the lines of an armed robbery or an attempted murder, I figured it would fit here, too.

Here is a transcript of the original. Which can be found below.

State of Georgia
Franklyn County

William Fleming being duly sworn on the holy evangelist of almighty God. Saith that on the ninth day of this instant as he was looking (at) his horses (+ on broad Bison) about five or six miles above Black’s Fourt. When he was taken in a shower of rain and as he was sheltering himself under a tree, he was fired on by three Indians at about fifteen or twenty yards distance, which wounded him in two places. This deponent further saith that he road off as fast as he could and the Indians followed and one of them loaded his gun again and shot him again as he road and wounded him again very sorely and followed him with his tomahawk drawn for about a half a mile. Said Fleming further saith that he called out, as if there had been more men along, to come on and they might kill them all, at which time the Indians left off following him and further this deponent saith not. Sworn to and subscribed this 13th day of April, 1793

Russel Jonis J P                                            William Fleming

The original:

https://vault.georgiaarchives.org/digita...s/id/76986
rmstevens2, JonikW, Gray Fox like this post