Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
Backyard Hobbies
(05-14-2024, 01:15 AM)Albruic Wrote: Backyard Hobbies? I can say I found a very fun one, though. 

Don't worry I am not making the crow population any smaller :-)

[Image: Xd7UM33.jpeg]

It’s very strange from over here to see people with serious weapons. A lot of people here will literally have never seen a civilian weapon other than a farmer’s double barrelled shotgun or something like clay pigeon shooting clubs. Outdoor hunting and shooting  game birds is usually only very rich people here. I’m not wanting to get into the politics of it by the way! It’s just a different world. The other thing is we don’t have any dangerous animals left in the uk and ireland. If I lived somewhere with dangerous animals i’d definitely want the option of a gun!
Albruic and rmstevens2 like this post
(05-14-2024, 08:58 PM)alanarchae Wrote: i havent done it in years but I was once big into astronomy /stargazing. Mostly in my late childhood:early teens. Did it with a next door neighbour pal my age. Usually in my folk’s garden as it was darker.  Started with just star maps, planospheres,. naked eye and binoculars and later both got small astronomical telescopes one xmas. But to be honest they were rickety and a bit of a pain most of the time and not poweful enough to give really amazing views (though you could see stuff like Saturn’s rings vaguely).

To be honest the nicest way of stargazing is lying on a very reclined seat with a good pair of binoculars. It was mostly an aesthetic or sense of wonder thing rather than scientific. I could never understand people who did stuff like complile logs of sunspots (projections onto paper) or logged the magnitude of variable stars. You probably have to be a serious oddball to enjoy that. My parents house had a rear garden that was narrow but long so at the far end it was really dark due to an old tall wall, hedges etc. Unfortunately my present garden has rather mite light population so it’s not as suitable.

I never had the mathematical brain to realistically consider studying astronomy. So gazing at the cosmos is more of a aesthetic and almost kind of spiritual thing for me. A lot of my interests seem to be things that make you feel very small in time and space LOL

My father is from Montana and we go to see family fairly regularly, and of all the places I’ve been, Montana has the best night sky for stargazing.
rmstevens2 likes this post
(05-14-2024, 09:10 PM)alanarchae Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 01:15 AM)Albruic Wrote: Backyard Hobbies? I can say I found a very fun one, though. 

Don't worry I am not making the crow population any smaller :-)

[Image: Xd7UM33.jpeg]

It’s very strange from over here to see people with serious weapons. A lot of people here will literally have never seen a civilian weapon other than a farmer’s double barrelled shotgun or something like clay pigeon shooting clubs. Outdoor hunting and shooting  game birds is usually only very rich people here. I’m not wanting to get into the politics of it by the way! It’s just a different world. The other thing is we don’t have any dangerous animals left in the uk and ireland. If I lived somewhere with dangerous animals i’d definitely want the option of a gun!

Not a firearm! it does have a skin of a firearm but it is just a .22 airgun, firearms are too much of a pain to get in my country and too expensive. 
It is perfect for shooting beer cans and other kind of targets and I can stack up a good amount of beer cans on a sunny saturday hehehe 
Fill them with water, shoot them and watch them jump in the air. I can do this for hours straight and never get tired.. guess men really are simple creatures Smile 
Some people use to hunt for smaller animals and boars, I personally just use it for the target aim practice, not a fan of hurting others. 
One thing is certain: if you want to get an airgun you can have many hours of fun with it but your neighbors are going to like you a little bit less lol 

here is a nice review of it
rmstevens2 likes this post

Check for new replies