Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Histogenes preliminary results
I know some of these were shared already here and there on different platforms, but I thought it's a good idea to gather everything we know so far about these Histogenes studies and the results in one thread. 

Sadly, most of these principal component bar charts are not really informative when we try to learn more about the slavic migrations for example, because for some reason they've chosen the Finnish as a proxy for Northeast European admixture which is... Well, let's just say it was not a bright idea. 

Anyway, here are the results of the analysis of samples from Slovenia from the 3rd to 11th century AD. It seems that the Roman period population was diverse but had very strong Southern European and Levantine affinities. With the arrival of the Germanic many Nortwestern European-like individuals appear and there's a shift towards this direction. In all period we can see Eastern Eurasian outliers, which likely reflects the presence of the Huns and Avars in the region. As a result of the slavic migrations 9-11th century individuals show a very strong Northeast European admixture, they're similar to present day Slovenians.

[img][Image: Netb5zW.png]

[Image: zzdnZHW.png]

[Image: PBLPvsO.png]

[Image: dSUX3LH.png]

[Image: EfgseB6.png]

[Image: 8X4KYV4.png]
Riverman, Gordius, YP4648 And 2 others like this post
Samples from Western Hungary show very similar tendencies and patterns. 

[Image: 8cM2pJF.png]

[Image: JWskwqC.png]

[Image: rpsU7g2.png]
Gordius, Alain, Orentil And 2 others like this post
[img][Image: zVRkdZZ.png][/img]
[img][Image: C4q0kH2.png][/img]
[img][Image: LKhuqdz.png][/img]
[img][Image: q78sGVR.png][/img]
[img][Image: YQXiohf.png][/img]
[img][Image: dgahFGA.png][/img]
[img][Image: C4BkiMB.png][/img]
JMcB, sirdan, jamtastic And 4 others like this post

Riverman, Radko, Orentil And 5 others like this post
These two presentations are related to the project's research on the germanic migration period changes in Central Europe.
With all respect, the first presentation is unfortunately horrible to listen to. So I just took some screenshots of the interesting slides, you can watch the video but I think the slides are enough to get the necessary informations.
The second presentation is mostly about the kinship analysis results of the new samples from different Transdanubian langobard-related cemeteries and their interpretetation in the context of archaeology. That one is really interesting and coherent, I advise you to listen to it
Naudigastir, Alain, jamtastic And 5 others like this post
(01-06-2024, 09:12 PM)FR9CZ6 Wrote: These two presentations are related to the project's research on the germanic migration period changes in Central Europe.
With all respect, the first presentation is unfortunately horrible to listen to. So I just took some screenshots of the interesting slides, you can watch the video but I think the slides are enough to get the necessary information.
The second presentation is mostly about the kinship analysis results of the new samples from different Transdanubian langobard-related cemeteries and their interpretation in the context of archaeology. That one is really interesting and coherent, I advise you to listen to it

Great presentations, indeed, thanks for sharing! I'm glad to see that Joscha Gretzinger is working together with Daniel Winger to compare the Langobardian results with the Northern German ones. Also interesting that they are showing the PCA plot I would have expected from Stolarek et al. showing how perfectly the Wielbark samples are matching with IA Sweden.
Fascinating that it is even possible to find small differences between Szolad and Collegno ancestry and to align this with Häven-like and Hiddestorf-like ancestry. Daniel Winger did not mention it in his presentation, but we know already from Paul the Deacon's (8th century) Historia Langobardum that Saxons joined the Langobards during the invasion of Northern Italy, so they might have found hints confirming another detail of Paul the Deacon's report.
FR9CZ6, Riverman, Cascio And 3 others like this post
Thanks for putting these results in context. It's very interesting, I had no idea what might cause this difference between Collegno and Szólád. I hope they're going to deal with this question in the published study.
JMcB and Orentil like this post
Ornetil

These are not Stolarek's Wielbark genomes. These are previously published genomes from Weklice by Paulina Borówka.
JMcB and Orentil like this post
The Weklice samples and Stolarek's Wielbark samples basically cluster together. So unfortunately Stolarek's team still missed the opportunity to show us a PCA like this.
Orentil and Radko like this post
I understand that you are talking about Davidski's PCA, which removed 50% of Stolarek's samples.
(01-08-2024, 12:40 PM)Orentil Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 09:12 PM)FR9CZ6 Wrote: These two presentations are related to the project's research on the germanic migration period changes in Central Europe.
With all respect, the first presentation is unfortunately horrible to listen to. So I just took some screenshots of the interesting slides, you can watch the video but I think the slides are enough to get the necessary information.
The second presentation is mostly about the kinship analysis results of the new samples from different Transdanubian langobard-related cemeteries and their interpretation in the context of archaeology. That one is really interesting and coherent, I advise you to listen to it

Great presentations, indeed, thanks for sharing! I'm glad to see that Joscha Gretzinger is working together with Daniel Winger to compare the Langobardian results with the Northern German ones. Also interesting that they are showing the PCA plot I would have expected from Stolarek et al. showing how perfectly the Wielbark samples are matching with IA Sweden.
Fascinating that it is even possible to find small differences between Szolad and Collegno ancestry and to align this with Häven-like and Hiddestorf-like ancestry. Daniel Winger did not mention it in his presentation, but we know already from Paul the Deacon's (8th century) Historia Langobardum that Saxons joined the Langobards during the invasion of Northern Italy, so they might have found hints confirming another detail of Paul the Deacon's report.

The Collegno Lombards were more like Lower Saxons from Hiddestorf while those from Szolad were more like Haven in 
Mecklenburg (more Scandinavian?).
Orentil likes this post
Y-DNA R-Z36 (A7967)                                                                          mtDNA U6A7A1
(01-09-2024, 09:02 PM)ambron Wrote: I understand that you are talking about Davidski's PCA, which removed 50% of Stolarek's samples.

Usually certain samples are removed from his G25 datasets, he explained why. If you look at the supplementary materials, you can see that the selected samples don't really differ on average from the removed samples, so these cords are still representative. But you guys should really make your own cords, project them on a PCA and show us how it should actually look like. We could finally see, and learn something new. 
Anyway, there's a thread for Stolarek's study you can post and share your ideas about it there, let's stick to the topic here.
Orentil likes this post
I didn't start this topic. I only corrected an incorrect opinion.

I do not feel competent to improve the results of a scientific work published in a peer-reviewed journal.
FR9CZ6 likes this post
Three presentations related to the histogenes reseach are going to be held this July at the International Medieval Congress.

"GENETIC HISTORIES IN TIMES OF CRISIS, I: NEW INSIGHTS INTO MIGRATION-PERIOD EASTERN CENTRAL EUROPE"

"GENETIC HISTORIES IN TIMES OF CRISIS, II: THE EMERGENCE AND DECLINE OF SLAVIC POWERS IN 9TH-CENTURY EASTERN CENTRAL EUROPE"

"GENETIC HISTORIES IN TIMES OF CRISIS, III: COMMUNITIES IN LATE AVAR AGE AND CAROLINGIAN PANNONIA"

These lectures will focus on the genetic history of Austria, Pannonia and Moravia in the early middle ages.

https://www.imc.leeds.ac.uk/wp-content/u...anuary.pdf
Radko, JMcB, Gordius And 2 others like this post
Dr. Zuzana Hofmanová / Leipzig Max-Planck-Institut für evolutionäre Anthropologie

Integration of ancient DNA to other disciplines in practice: going large-scale but also local

Archaeogenetics requires collaboration of researchers with diverse backgrounds which can in practice cause issues due to the different nature, history and practice of the disciplines. Here I will speak about a project aiming to generate an extremely close integration of history, genetics, archaeology and anthropology on a large and sustainable scale. That is done practically as we generate ancient DNA, stable isotope and radiocarbon data for more than 6,000 samples from the Carpathian Basin and surrounding regions of Central Eastern Europe and all the disciplines are involved in all stages of the project. Few parts of the world witnessed that many population shifts in the few centuries from late Antiquity to Early Middle Ages and we also have a wealth of archaeological information and long-lasting thorough historical research. Despite this, or maybe partially because of this, the nature of relationships between identities and events from historical texts, archaeological features of settlements and cemeteries and biological profiles of individuals, communities and populations has been contentious. Our project has already generated information about population movements ranging more than 4,000 km, insights into social organisation through large-scale pedigrees and relatedness networks and a curious case of genetic barrier lasting generations between nearby communities sharing material culture. This shows that the efforts required for the interdisciplinary research have a substantial pay off and will likely be useful in various other contexts.

https://www.altertum.uni-rostock.de/inst...893156109/
Orentil, FR9CZ6, JMcB And 2 others like this post