Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Distilled Spirits
I like Canadian whiskey, mainly because it tastes good and is cheap.

The photo below is from a wall in my man cave/computer room. I got the placard at Bucc'ees in Terrell, Texas. Great place, especially if you need a sandwich and a soft drink. In aqua vitae veritas.

[Image: whiskey-may-not-be-the-answer.jpg]
JMcB, Webb, JonikW like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Here's one I am currently enjoying: the Canadian whiskey Hunter Rye, 90 proof (i.e., 45% ABV).

Nice spicy flavor, which is why I prefer rye whiskey.

[Image: Hunter-Rye-Canadian-Rye-Whiskey.jpg]

Rye whiskey, rye whiskey . . . 

JonikW, Webb, JMcB like this post

I don't know whether you've ever tried Penderyn whisky, Rich, but I've been making my way through a bottle of their Madeira Finish recently. I've enjoyed every bottle I've had from their range in recent years and it's nice to see Wales claiming a place in the world of whisky/whiskey. It's interesting how some of the founding fathers of American whiskey were of Welsh descent, including Jack Daniel and Evan Williams. Penderyn certainly gives Scotch whisky and Irish whiskey a run for their money and well worth trying if you haven't already.
JMcB, rmstevens2, Webb like this post
Y: I1 Z140+ FT354410+; mtDNA: V78
Recent tree: mainly West Country England and Southeast Wales
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
mtDNA: Llanvihangel Pont-y-moile, 1825
Mother's Y: R-BY11922+; Llanvair Discoed, 1770
Avatar: Welsh Borders hillfort, 1980s
Anthrogenica member 2015-23
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to keep an eye out for this. Is it lighter in flavor, like an Irish Whiskey or Scotch Speyside?
JMcB, rmstevens2, JonikW like this post
(10-10-2023, 07:58 PM)JonikW Wrote: I don't know whether you've ever tried Penderyn whisky, Rich, but I've been making my way through a bottle of their Madeira Finish recently. I've enjoyed every bottle I've had from their range in recent years and it's nice to see Wales claiming a place in the world of whisky/whiskey. It's interesting how some of the founding fathers of American whiskey were of Welsh descent, including Jack Daniel and Evan Williams. Penderyn certainly gives Scotch whisky and Irish whiskey a run for their money and well worth trying if you haven't already.

Please see my first post. I’m obviously technologically challenged as I’m just figuring out how to quote.
rmstevens2, JonikW, JMcB like this post
(10-10-2023, 09:12 PM)Webb Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion.  I will have to keep an eye out for this.  Is it lighter in flavor, like an Irish Whiskey or Scotch Speyside?

To my palate all the Penderyns I've tried are much more Scotch Speyside than Irish, Webb. I'm a big fan of Irish whiskey in general, probably even more so than Scotch although I'm particularly partial to the Islay stuff, which I like with a Guinness on special occasions. But the Penderyn range does vary in flavour and they really are all good. Always nice when someone revives an old tradition in a country too and I love supporting that kind of initiative. Give it a go: you won't regret it.
rmstevens2, JMcB, Webb like this post
Y line: Peak District, c.1300. Swedish IA/VA matches; last = 715AD YFull, 849AD FTDNA
I'll give Penderyn a try, if I can find it at a local liquor store and if it's not outrageously expensive.
Webb, JMcB, JonikW like this post

(10-11-2023, 12:22 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I'll give Penderyn a try, if I can find it at a local liquor store and if it's not outrageously expensive.

That is going to be the biggest challenge as Pennsylvania is similar to Virginia and the liquor stores are run by the state AND, some stores have a much better selection, depending on the store’s location. I capitalized AND for a dramatic effect, in case anyone was wondering why.
JMcB, rmstevens2, JonikW like this post
(10-11-2023, 12:35 AM)Webb Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 12:22 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I'll give Penderyn a try, if I can find it at a local liquor store and if it's not outrageously expensive.

That is going to be the biggest challenge as Pennsylvania is similar to Virginia and the liquor stores are run by the state AND, some stores have a much better selection, depending on the store’s location.  I capitalized AND for a dramatic effect, in case anyone was wondering why.

I retired at the end of the 2020-21 school year and moved to the boondocks of East Texas, where the cost of living is much cheaper than it is in Virginia, but the summers are like hell on earth (Thank God it's October now!).

Here liquor stores are privately owned, and there is competition a la Adam Smith. Consequently, things are cheaper, and the selection is larger.

There's a chain of liquor stores here called Harley's that is just amazing: vast and cheap. When I get the chance, I'll look for Penderyn there. They may have it. They have just about everything else, some of it waaay expensive.

And here I was thinking that this tread was about spirits that came in drink form!

I second the joy that Penderyn is in production but would add that it's worth getting a bottle of the Sherry cask editions if you can - harder to find though.
JMcB, JonikW, Webb And 1 others like this post
(10-08-2023, 03:29 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Here's one I am currently enjoying: the Canadian whiskey Hunter Rye, 90 proof (i.e., 45% ABV).

Nice spicy flavor, which is why I prefer rye whiskey.

[Image: Hunter-Rye-Canadian-Rye-Whiskey.jpg]

Just bought another bottle of this today. It's really good, and at 90 proof (45% ABV) it packs a lot of punch for the buck.

As I mentioned in the post I quoted above, it has that spicy rye whiskey flavor I really like.

I have to laugh when they call Canadian whiskey "imported". I guess it is, technically, but sheesh. Kind of funny.
JonikW, Webb, JMcB like this post

Some very generous Polish mates gave me a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter’s Gold when they came round for the evening recently. I've just cracked it open and it's a highly enjoyable drop. It's from the historic county of Inverness-shire and they bill it as being “Scotland's highest and coldest distillery.” I have no idea whether that claim backs up.

[Image: PXL-20231223-192849315-PORTRAIT-2.jpg]

My Polish friend Andrzej and I (and our wives) got through a fair amount of Polish and Russian vodka that night, along with a few beers. He regaled me with his tales of military service when some Soviet Red Army soldiers impressed him with their enormous capacity for downing that spirit. He hadn't seen the traditional Russian 100ml(!) "stoparik" shot glasses before.

He also claimed that his grandfather, who died in his 90s, smoked four packs of cigarettes a day and “drank only vodka.” That was quite a claim, and while it made me smile I have no reason to doubt him. I'll point out here that I don't condone heavy drinking...

Vodka should of course be downed in the traditional Slavic manner, which is to say with food. So that said, this was what the four of us enjoyed that night (finishing the Amundsen would have been a step too far). My wife had put on a massive and delicious homemade Georgian spread, which was probably my salvation. 

As a lover of the clear spirit I'll just add here that good Polish and Russian (and Ukrainian and Belarusian) vodkas are on an equal level for me.

[Image: IMG-20231223-200805.jpg]
Webb, JMcB, rmstevens2 like this post
I remember the first time I was in Moscow. I made the mistake of trying to keep up in drinking with a Russian friend who turned out to have a "hollow leg", as they say. He was fine and remained unscathed. I got sick as a dog. It was embarrassing.

For the past week or so I have avoided alcoholic beverages altogether, but I plan to climb down off the wagon tomorrow for Christmas Eve and enjoy some Eggnog, among other things.

I've noticed lately that the Canadian Hunter Rye Whiskey I've been drinking has been giving me a headache. That's not something I enjoy, so I will probably switch back to something more reliable.
JMcB, JonikW, Webb like this post

We opened some Xmas gifts this evening after watching several episodes of one of our favorite shows, the Japanese anime, "Spy Family". Here are a couple of things I got: an ale horn from my youngest son, and a bottle of Kelsey Creek Bourbon Whiskey from my youngest daughter. The ale horn has the words "Richard the Beerslayer" inscribed on it.

[Image: ale-horn-and-kelsey-creek-bourbon-Xmas-Eve-2023.jpg]
Webb, JonikW, JMcB And 1 others like this post