Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(01-03-2024, 07:33 PM)AimSmall Wrote: How do you know FF has that many Y SNPs?  I have many FF kits and none of them had the Y SNPs.  Now my BigY certainly did.

Where did you get this number?

FamilyFinder SNP List Preliminary - Google Sheets   posted above

10,578 SNPs listed.   I have read that some are listed twice, so 9000 is a more cautious number
jdbreazeale, Capsian20, AimSmall And 1 others like this post
(01-03-2024, 08:39 PM)Mabrams Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 07:33 PM)AimSmall Wrote: How do you know FF has that many Y SNPs?  I have many FF kits and none of them had the Y SNPs.  Now my BigY certainly did.

10,578 SNPs listed.   I have read that some are listed twice, so 9000 is a more cautious number

Well, I see CTS2501, which is the equivalent of DF41. That's not much resolution, but it's not nothing either.

So far, no big thrills for me.
jdbreazeale likes this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
(01-03-2024, 08:59 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 08:39 PM)Mabrams Wrote:

Well, I see CTS2501, which is the equivalent of DF41. That's not much resolution, but it's not nothing either.

So far, no big thrills for me.

Oh, by the way, my dear old dad got that far (CTS2501) with the old Genographic Project test long ago. He had Family Finder, but unless things improve, it doesn't look like he'll get past CTS2501. That isn't very important, since I've had the Big Y-700 and know already what my dad is, but it's not a good sign for other FF matches I have whom I suspect are on my Y-DNA line. 

23andMe has me all the way to R-Z18021, which is the equivalent of BY166 and a number of steps downstream of CTS2501/DF41. I was hoping FTDNA's FF would go at least that far, but no sign of it yet.

Edit/Update: I do see Z253 there. That's good, because it's the macro-subclade under L21 that my maternal grandfather belongs to. My mother has a male FF match with her maiden surname whom I know is in that line. It will be good to see him go at least from R-M269 to R-Z253.
jdbreazeale, Riverman, Mabrams like this post

speaking of the Genographic Program,

why aren't the “older” Geno uploads to Family Finder, which were performed by FTDNA, eligible to be updated?
(Pre-Helix)

CTS5201 is eleven steps below R-M269, so that's still a decent jump.
rmstevens2 likes this post
(01-03-2024, 09:59 PM)Mabrams Wrote: speaking of the Genographic Program,

why aren't the “older” Geno uploads to Family Finder, which were performed by FTDNA, eligible to be updated?
(Pre-Helix)

CTS5201 is eleven steps below R-M269, so that's still a decent jump.

Yeah, like I said, CTS2501 isn't much, but it's not nothing. It definitely beats M269. 

I'm still hoping the FF stuff goes at least as far as 23andMe, which for my crew would be excellent.

Years ago I got my dad an FF test in addition to his Geno Project stuff. I don't know about the potential for updates for Geno uploads. 

Funny: I remember when the Geno Project was a huge deal. Now I picture it has having cobwebs on it. At least my dad got that SNP-tested R-CTS2501 in addition to his 12 STR markers.

I'll be keeping an eye out for R-Z2961. It was formed around 2000 BC. It would have been great if R-ZP75 was tested since it would rule out R-M222 positive testers. However, R-M222 is tested with Family Finder. Therefore, if someone is just positive for R-Z2961 with my surname, I suspect that there would be a strong chance that the match shares a more recent haplogroup.
jdbreazeale and rmstevens2 like this post
Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail = 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
Y-DNA (P) ancestor: Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon 
mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)
"It would have been great if R-ZP75 was tested"

One of the people in a project I admin, is R-ZP75.  He got this assignment around Dec 7. 

He has only taken the Family Finder.  No Y-STR or BigY or SNP tests.
jdbreazeale, rmstevens2, Webb And 2 others like this post
Two observations

New updated Family Finder testers, without a previous Y-STR or other Y test, will receive a new YDNA Results and Tools section on their FTDNA homepage. 

So far, only two tools. The ubiquitous Discover Tool and the HaploTree and SNPs Tool.

The HaploTree tool also has a SNP Results button, where one can see which SNPs were positive.  And the source of the SNPs (probably Family Finder).  You can also download these SNPs. 

Previous Y STR testers will not notice any major changes, although their HaploTree and SNPs page will get the SNP Results button.

A minor quirk is that Family Finder Autosomal results are now being updated to say "Results Completed December 7 (etc), 2023"

~~~~~

One of my 3rd cousins, was apparently updated from I-M253 to I-CTS6772, an eleven step improvement. 

The age estimate went from 2600 BCE to 1200 BCE, so a modest improvement although that might be important to a more nuanced observer of the I haplogroup. 

But I-M253 has 31,500 testers and the new haplo has only 350, so that's almost a 100 fold improvement.  I think that's quite impressive.
Riverman, jdbreazeale, Mythbuster General And 1 others like this post
(01-04-2024, 12:12 AM)Mabrams Wrote: "It would have been great if R-ZP75 was tested"

One of the people in a project I admin, is R-ZP75.  He got this assignment around Dec 7. 

He has only taken the Family Finder.  No Y-STR or BigY or SNP tests.
That's great news!
rmstevens2 and Mabrams like this post
Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail = 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
Y-DNA (P) ancestor: Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
mtDNA (P) ancestor: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon 
mtDNA (M) ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
mtDNA Great grandfather: Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)
Y-DNA 2x great grandfather: Higgins b. c1816 in Co. Roscommon (R-DF109)
Y-DNA 3x great grandfather: Fleming b. c1829 in Co. Roscommon (R-Z23534)
I don't have my haplogroup yet (Nor my maternal grandfather), we didn't do the original DNA test, but instead used the raw data from MyHeritageDNA. So I know we'd be the last to receive it, but I didn't think it'd take longer than I expected.
rmstevens2 likes this post
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 87.4% Indigenous in Mexico and 12.6% Spanish, Catalan & Basque 

[Image: IbEDd4z.png]
Still nothing of interest for me and my crew.
JMcB likes this post

(01-15-2024, 05:20 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Still nothing of interest for me and my crew.

There wasn't that much happening during the holidays, in general.
rmstevens2 and jdbreazeale like this post
(01-15-2024, 09:51 AM)Riverman Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 05:20 AM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Still nothing of interest for me and my crew.

There wasn't that much happening during the holidays, in general.

Were they still working on holidays?
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 87.4% Indigenous in Mexico and 12.6% Spanish, Catalan & Basque 

[Image: IbEDd4z.png]
From Jaliscience
" I don't have my haplogroup yet (Nor my maternal grandfather), we didn't do the original DNA test, but instead used the raw data from MyHeritageDNA. So I know we'd be the last to receive it, but I didn't think it'd take longer than I expected."

My bold italics above

It seems that often FTDNA is working on a different concept of time than the rest of us.   It took a long time for FTDNA to implement some BigY dating etc, but then they came out with Discover, which is a very strong set of tools.   But I wonder how many delays there were to the initial launch of Discover.

FTDNA announced last July 31 that Y haplos (from Family Finder original kits) would start appearing at the end of August and be mostly done by the end of September.    So within 60 days of the announcement.  That certainly hasnt happened, and it makes you question how FTDNA could be so far off on this timeframe. 

I am guessing this is a harder task than it appears.   Then there are two (or three?) versions of Family Finder, and then My Heritage and Verogen and finally Ancestry and 23andMe, most with multiple versions.  And then FTDNA has to make sure that the new results fit in seamlessly with the multiple advanced reports that they produce.  

And FTDNA is doing this for free.    And during a time when another company's data breach has caused all sorts of unanticipated issues. 

I think the end result will be nice.    The batch of results that were released in December surpassed most people's expectations.   And that was just maybe 5% of FF-GSA results (?).    Those of us who are in the R1b group, will be so glad to get rid of R-M269.   Who knew that FTDNA was sitting on over 10,000 Y SNPs in the FF?

One of the SNPs I have been observing is in the current FF release and moves the tester up 28 levels from R-M269. Akin to the BigY500.   Of course, most people will see far less movement, but even a move of 10 branches is significant.   

OTOH, I am thinking that most of the older FTDNA kits and MH kits will be interesting but not to the depth of the FTDNA GSA kits.    And Ancestry and 23andMe kits will only be observable to the owner of the kit.  

I am looking forward to the release of the rest of the data.   We've gotten a teaser in Dec.   But this is in exercise in patience.  It might take several more months.
rmstevens2, JMcB, Jalisciense And 2 others like this post
They are massively behind schedule for a lot of regular STR and BigY tests. I guess running all assignments parallel doesn't help, especially when having record numbers of new testers at the same time.
AimSmall, rmstevens2, JMcB And 1 others like this post