Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(12-12-2023, 05:32 PM)Leeloo Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 10:09 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote:
(12-08-2023, 10:59 PM)Leeloo Wrote: Only one of my kits updated so far but it's a very interesting one. Son of a friend who is paternally Bangladeshi/Sylheti got assigned R1b haplogroup, that is rather rare in Bangladesh, below 1% I believe. Huge surprise.

[Image: CX6O4RX.png]

I mentioned your post over at the FTDNA Big Y Facebook group. FTDNA's Göran Runström was interested and said your friend's son might belong to something downstream of R1b-BY14355. BY14355 is just downstream of R1b-M343 and parallel to R1b-L754, which is the most frequent Y-DNA haplogroup in Europe.

There are quite a few ancient samples under BY14355 in FTDNA Discover's Ancient Connections. I started a thread on BY14355 here.
It would be great if your friend's son did the Big Y-700.

Thank you for the information. 

If his results would be potentially valuable to help better define R1b tree (to my understanding?), I'd like to do BigY on him but I would need some help. It's just a child, and his mother doesn't know anything about genetics. I sugested a test because person of such background is extremely unusual in my country.  

His father is out of the picture and I paid for his test from my own pocket. Now, I'd be willing to finance big Y in 1/3 of total cost, because more than that is too much for my Croatian standard and I didn't even test my own paternal line that deep because I consider it pricey.

Let me know if they have any funds there are FTDNA that can help partially finance his BigY. I know sometimes they do.

Cheers.

I agree with jdbreazeale. Here's at least one project you should join him to:

R_R1b All Subclades

The admins there might be able to help.
Leeloo, jdbreazeale, JonikW like this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
Thank you very much, will try Smile
jdbreazeale, JonikW, JMcB And 1 others like this post
You might also want to try contacting FTDNA. Describe the situation to them and why it would be good to get a Big Y-700 on this person. They might be willing to do it just for the scientific interest.
JonikW, Leeloo, jdbreazeale like this post

Guess I should just forget about this whole Y-DNA haplogroups-from-Family-Finder-results thing. So far, no one of any real interest to me has gotten a Y-DNA haplogroup assignment. Checking on it every day is just becoming aggravating. If I just forget about it, maybe someday I'll stumble on the information and be pleasantly surprised.
JMcB, jdbreazeale, JonikW And 2 others like this post

(12-13-2023, 05:24 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Guess I should just forget about this whole Y-DNA haplogroups-from-Family-Finder-results thing. So far, no one of any real interest to me has gotten a Y-DNA haplogroup assignment. Checking on it every day is just becoming aggravating. If I just forget about it, maybe someday I'll stumble on the information and be pleasantly surprised.

Just a small fraction being processed as of yet, it will probably need several weeks until all of them are ready. Its a waste of time to constantly check, but it can get somewhat addictive if you are waiting for specific people's results to trickle in...
Manofthehour, JonikW, rmstevens2 And 1 others like this post
(12-13-2023, 05:36 PM)Riverman Wrote:
(12-13-2023, 05:24 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Guess I should just forget about this whole Y-DNA haplogroups-from-Family-Finder-results thing. So far, no one of any real interest to me has gotten a Y-DNA haplogroup assignment. Checking on it every day is just becoming aggravating. If I just forget about it, maybe someday I'll stumble on the information and be pleasantly surprised.

Just a small fraction being processed as of yet, it will probably need several weeks until all of them are ready. Its a waste of time to constantly check, but it can get somewhat addictive if you are waiting for specific people's results to trickle in...

Of course, you're absolutely right, but I've got a couple of FF matches with my surname who won't do Y-DNA testing on their own, so I am curious if they'll get anywhere along my line. One of them has a nice paper trail to a Stevens MDKA in Devon. My Y line looks Welsh, based on close matches who can trace MDKAs to Wales and the fact that everyone in my Y-chromosome vicinity has a Welsh patronymic surname, but I am curious about this guy and his Devon ancestor.

And there is an old Crawford County, Ohio, history that says my own Y-DNA MDKA was "of Welsh extraction", which matches the genetic evidence.
JonikW, jdbreazeale, Dewsloth And 1 others like this post

I just checked my matches, and one of my 111 marker matches, who did the FF and 111 marker test, has CTS4065 listed as his Y Haplogroup, where previously it was listed as M269. So it appears that FTDNA is definitely working on haplogroup assignments. This match is interesting, because his surname cluster is Holland and I match them at 12, 25, and 111 markers. They are not matches with me at 37, or 67. I was hoping for better refinement on the tree, as CTS4065 is still pretty high on the snp tree, as I am five snps below CTS4065.
JonikW, jdbreazeale, Mitchell-Atkins And 2 others like this post
Another update. One of my 25 marker matches, now has an assignment. I assumed he would be somewhere below DF27>Z209 as well, as all of my 25 marker matches and up who have done snp testing are on some sort of branch below Z209, giving me the theory that my str signature, and theirs must be close to mode for the North/South cluster, but this 25 marker match is U152>Z36> down to R-BY64356. Interesting.
rmstevens2 and JonikW like this post
(12-14-2023, 02:55 PM)Webb Wrote: Another update.  One of my 25 marker matches, now has an assignment.  I assumed he would be somewhere below DF27>Z209 as well, as all of my 25 marker matches and up who have done snp testing are on some sort of branch below Z209, giving me the theory that my str signature, and theirs must be close to mode for the North/South cluster, but this 25 marker match is U152>Z36> down to R-BY64356.  Interesting.

At this point, I only take STR matches seriously which SNP can be predicted. Then the proximity can matter. If they can't be predicted for my main branch, nobody can tell were they might end up. Some of my closest STR matches are in very different branches, which makes this haplogroup assignment, if it goes far enough, so important.
rmstevens2, Webb, jdbreazeale And 1 others like this post
(12-14-2023, 03:10 PM)Riverman Wrote:
(12-14-2023, 02:55 PM)Webb Wrote: Another update.  One of my 25 marker matches, now has an assignment.  I assumed he would be somewhere below DF27>Z209 as well, as all of my 25 marker matches and up who have done snp testing are on some sort of branch below Z209, giving me the theory that my str signature, and theirs must be close to mode for the North/South cluster, but this 25 marker match is U152>Z36> down to R-BY64356.  Interesting.

At this point, I only take STR matches seriously which SNP can be predicted. Then the proximity can matter. If they can't be predicted for my main branch, nobody can tell were they might end up. Some of my closest STR matches are in very different branches, which makes this haplogroup assignment, if it goes far enough, so important.

For most people, I agree.  I have 49 matches at 25 markers and in this group are four family clusters who are all DF27>Z209, confirmed.  Separate branches under Z209, but Z209, nonetheless.  Plus Z209 does have a str signature, which if we take the way back machine, made it easier before BigY, when you could test snp's a la carte at FTDNA.  I find it interesting that this one family cluster, because there are more than one match with this surname, are U152>Z36.  This makes them negative for L2.  The str signature for Z209 is this:

dys437 = 14
dys448 = 18
Y-GATA H4 = 10
Do you also feel that FTDNA supsended the process? I see no updates of haplogroups.
(12-15-2023, 03:44 PM)sirdan Wrote: Do you also feel that FTDNA supsended the process? I see no updates of haplogroups.

Yes, there was a push and then in the last 2 days or so nothing new for me.
JonikW, sirdan, rmstevens2 like this post
(12-15-2023, 03:44 PM)sirdan Wrote: Do you also feel that FTDNA supsended the process? I see no updates of haplogroups.

Yes, and this is confirmed by FTDNA. This was posted on Facebook by Kate Rowe from FTDNA:

"We're working through kits that have received new results in December this week and part of next, and then we'll take a break for the holidays. Once everyone is back at the start of January, we'll finish up the current chip and start on the older chips and transfers."
Mitchell-Atkins, JMcB, rmstevens2 And 7 others like this post
It's just kind of a drag for me so far. Someday, maybe . . .

This same kit that was R-BY64356 is now listed as R-FTB32561, and R-FTB32561 isn't even listed in the discover tool as it is too new, according to the notes.
Riverman, ArmandoR1b, Jalisciense And 2 others like this post