Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(01-15-2024, 05:04 PM)Mabrams Wrote: From Jaliscience
" I don't have my haplogroup yet (Nor my maternal grandfather), we didn't do the original DNA test, but instead used the raw data from MyHeritageDNA. So I know we'd be the last to receive it, but I didn't think it'd take longer than I expected."

My bold italics above

It seems that often FTDNA is working on a different concept of time than the rest of us.   It took a long time for FTDNA to implement some BigY dating etc, but then they came out with Discover, which is a very strong set of tools.   But I wonder how many delays there were to the initial launch of Discover.

FTDNA announced last July 31 that Y haplos (from Family Finder original kits) would start appearing at the end of August and be mostly done by the end of September.    So within 60 days of the announcement.  That certainly hasnt happened, and it makes you question how FTDNA could be so far off on this timeframe. 

I am guessing this is a harder task than it appears.   Then there are two (or three?) versions of Family Finder, and then My Heritage and Verogen and finally Ancestry and 23andMe, most with multiple versions.  And then FTDNA has to make sure that the new results fit in seamlessly with the multiple advanced reports that they produce.  

And FTDNA is doing this for free.    And during a time when another company's data breach has caused all sorts of unanticipated issues. 

I think the end result will be nice.    The batch of results that were released in December surpassed most people's expectations.   And that was just maybe 5% of FF-GSA results (?).    Those of us who are in the R1b group, will be so glad to get rid of R-M269.   Who knew that FTDNA was sitting on over 10,000 Y SNPs in the FF?

One of the SNPs I have been observing is in the current FF release and moves the tester up 28 levels from R-M269. Akin to the BigY500.   Of course, most people will see far less movement, but even a move of 10 branches is significant.   

OTOH, I am thinking that most of the older FTDNA kits and MH kits will be interesting but not to the depth of the FTDNA GSA kits.    And Ancestry and 23andMe kits will only be observable to the owner of the kit.  

I am looking forward to the release of the rest of the data.   We've gotten a teaser in Dec.   But this is in exercise in patience.  It might take several more months.

Do you know why 23andme/AncestryDNA Y-DNA will be observable to the owner of the kit but with MH doesn't?
23andMe: 55.5% European, 33.7% Indigenous American, 4.2% WANA, 3.4% SSA and 3.2% Unassigned
AncestryDNA: 57.27% Europe, 35.81% Indigenous Americas-Mexico, 3.46% MENA and 3.45% SSA
FamilyTreeDNA: 56.9% Europe, 33% Americas, 8.2% MENA, <2% Horn of Africa and <1% Eastern India
Living DNA: 63.3% West Iberia, 34.3% Native Americas and 2.3% Yorubaland
MyHeritage DNA: 87.4% Indigenous in Mexico and 12.6% Spanish, Catalan & Basque 

[Image: IbEDd4z.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder - by Jalisciense - 01-15-2024, 08:29 PM