Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

E-V13 - Theories on its Origin and New Data
(11-24-2023, 11:18 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: Hopefully this is not too mulch of a disruption of this thread, but I know of at least one line in my pedigree that is E-V13: that of my second great grandfather, John Holmes (1830-1907).

He was a captain in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War, serving in Company E, 16th Mississippi Infantry. He served in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia and was in every major engagement except First Manassas (Bull Run). He was captured in 1864 at the Battle for the Weldon Railroad near Petersburg, Virginia, was sent to the Old Capitol Prison in Washington, DC, and then transferred to the prison for officers at Fort Delaware. He was paroled as part of a prisoner exchange in 1865 and sent by steamship to Savanah, Georgia. From there he made his way back home to Mississippi.

I know about his Y-DNA haplogroup from some Holmes cousins who are also AncestryDNA and Family Finder matches.

[Image: Captain-John-Holmes.jpg]

The Holmes I know about (not sure if its the same people, since Holmes is a common surname) belong to this subclade:
https://discover.familytreedna.com/y-dna/E-BY6073/tree

They are a good example for the E-V13, especially E-Z5018, which seem to have split between England, Germany and Italy in the Hallstatt-La Tene period. I wrote about that observation on the old forum, that there are a lot of branches of E-V13, especially under E-Z5018, which have no recent overlap between the Balkans and the West, but a lot of overlap in the triangle of England-Germany <-> Italy <-> Carpathian basin.

I speculated about these branches having spread from North Thracians/Dacians through Vekerzug and La Tene backflow, after the La Tene Celts had taken over in Eastern Hallstatt and parts of the Carpatho-Balkan sphere. Some of it might date to the later Dacian, Roman and migration period, but that's not clear as of yet, since the timing of the branching events is usually clearly in the Pre-Christian, even La Tene period - as of yet, more sampling might change things and bring it closer to the Roman and migration period time frame. 

And this branch of the Holmes, E-BY6073, is part of that story, having split from the Italian branch about 400 BC.

Other cases are even more clear though, because we have ancient DNA especially from Hungary at the root of the English-German-Italian distribution.
rmstevens2 and Capsian20 like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: E-V13 - Theories on its Origin and New Data - by Riverman - 11-25-2023, 12:10 AM