Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(11-14-2023, 09:16 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: I can't remember where I read it, so I definitely could be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that FTDNA's Family Finder actually goes beyond 23andMe on Y-DNA stuff.

If they get at least as far as 23andMe, that wouldn't be bad, because 23andMe has me listed as R-Z18021, which is the same thing as FTDNA's R-BY166. That's just five steps upstream of my current Big Y-700-tested terminal SNP. FTDNA dates BY166/Z18021 to about 750 AD, which isn't bad. 

Beats the heck out of R-M269.

It probably depends on the chip used at the time. 23andme has had 5 versions using different chips each time. It seems FTDNA has only had 2 versions of autosomal tests. The chips only scanned certain positions of the Y chromosome so data will be limited even with FTDNA.

The best thing about FTDNA is they have Y-DNA experts that know how to determine false negatives and false positives. I have identified several of them on the 23andme v5 chip.
rmstevens2 and jdbreazeale like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder - by ArmandoR1b - 11-23-2023, 01:20 PM