Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(05-18-2024, 02:46 AM)Mabrams Wrote:
(05-18-2024, 01:11 AM)ArmandoR1b Wrote:
(05-17-2024, 11:33 PM)Mabrams Wrote: Most haplogroups are not very modern.  FTDNA said as much in the initial announcement.

"This means you’ll only receive a partial haplogroup from an autosomal test. Most customers can expect this haplogroup to have originated in the Metal Age (about 10,000 years ago)."

I think they were being very conservative to suggest 10,000 years ago, but that might be true for some people.

That part was weird. The Copper Age is the first of period with metallurgy which started around 7,000 years ago.

Regardless it was easy to see, based on the results from 23andme, Ancestry, myHeritage, and LivingDNA, that most people would get a very old haplogroup. Most of the haplogroups in FF v3 that are younger than 23andme v5 are only slightly younger.

Big Y has always been the better test that leads to a haplogroup within the last 2,000 years in most cases.

For my SNP-of-Interest, the FF v3 is 100 years newer than 23andMe v5.   500 BCE vs 600 BCE.   LivingDNA v2 was a bit better at 50 BCE.  

My results from Ancestry Raw Data (V1) via YSEQ CladeFinder was U106 at 2950 BCE.  I wonder if Ancestry V2s will be much better.

My BigY700 is at 1800 CE.  I have a 5th cousin, and we differ by only one Non-Matching Variant, so that result gave us a very recent year.  Two clades prior was at 950 CE.

FF v3 being only one SNP younger than 23andme v5 shows how similar FF v3 and 23andme v5 are.

I guess Living DNA v2 got a lot better than v1. I found a report that they went with Affymetrix (Thermo Fisher) UKBiobank Axiom Array  Imputation-aware SNP selection, optimized for GWAS, low-frequency SNPs of European and British ancestry. So that must be why it has such a young SNP.

Ancestry v2 is substantially better than Ancestry v1 and has some U106 subclades.

Both 1800 CE and 950 CE are within the last 2,000 years. As seen in this thread there is at least one person with no match in the last 2,000 years. Anecdotes are just that. They don't give a good idea what most people experience.
rmstevens2 likes this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder - by ArmandoR1b - 05-18-2024, 03:24 AM