Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Stolarek et al: Genetic history of East-Central Europe...
(05-03-2024, 06:12 AM)ambron Wrote: okshtunas

The Slavic homeland in Belarus is not the idea of linguists, but of some archaeologists. Linguists strongly oppose this idea. Due to the oldest layer of Slavic hydronymy, modern linguists most often locate exactly the Slavic homeland in the north-eastern foothills of the Carpathians - between the Vistula and the Dniester.

I was only playing Devils advocate for sake of argument. However, in the case of M458 as a Y-DNA by itself, an origin in South West Belarus during the Bronze Age is not out of the ordinary. However, it seems even in MBA, Trziniec had little if any M458 and largely was I2/Z28. So, I suspect (just as the expansion of this line shows) is that M458 was relatively a minor clade that didn't grow/expand until the Iron Age, and then largely in late antiquity/early medieval. As such, I don't think one could argue for M458 being Balto-Slavic, let alone quintesential Proto-Slavic. Rather, it was a peripheral Indo-European lineage between Balto-Slavic, and Celto-Germanics, and was shuffled between these groups.

Considering Proto-Slavs have a stronger association/connection to Indo-Iranians than Celto-Germanics, it also begs the question why we see zero M458 in Scytho-Sarmatian remains further North and East, and we actually do see Z280 instead. 

It tells me M458 was probably not that far East from the NE Carpathian foothills, and was relatively minimal until the IA/Medieval. I know some argue for cremation, and maybe that's true, but I don't exactly buy it. We should still see some archaic branches of M458 in the largely Balto-Slavic area. However we don't. Most all Slavs belong to young clades downstream L1029/L260/YP515, and only a random West Slav appears here or there in archaic branches. Even in Balts M458 is not really common either.
Vinitharya and leonardo like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stolarek et al: Genetic history of East-Central Europe... - by okshtunas - 05-03-2024, 03:46 PM