Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
A genetic perspective on the recent demographic history of Ireland and Britain
(04-18-2024, 05:34 PM)Capitalis Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 04:47 PM)Cejo Wrote: Thank you for the clarification. That seems to answer the question!

I looked up your Y-DNA SNP at FTDNA Discover and noticed that you share Y-DNA ancestors with the two Medieval Ballyhanna, Co. Donegal samples. So I've requested that they be converted to G25, although I don't know their coverage.

---

If anyone can tell me which paper this sample is from I'd be thankful, as I can't work it out by looking at Lara Cassidy's list of papers; she wasn't lead author of a 2018 paper.

Quote:Lagore 14 was a man who lived between 1492 - 1665 CE during the Historical Age and was found in the region now known as Lagore, Meath, Ireland.

Reference: LG14 from Cassidy 2018

Silly me, it's her PhD, which is now unembargoed again: A Genomic Compendium of an Island: Documenting Continuity and Change across Irish Human Prehistory (tcd.ie)

Thanks for pointing this out, and for requesting those G25 samples. I don't know how to use them, but thanks, regardless! 

I looked at my ancient connections on FTDNA a bit more (which I hadn't made much use of, so thanks also for pointing this out), and found some additional context. Ballyhanna 331 is my closest ancient match - we share R-A18276 (TMRCA ~300CE). FTDNA lists the y-haplogroup as R-FT77253, as a subclade under R-A260. I think this makes the sample most closely related to the Ui Briuin dynasties of Connacht (ie: O'Connor), which makes some sense for that area, since they expanded into Breifne (ie: O'Rourke).

Ballyhanna 197 is listed as R-DF105, which places it slightly more distantly related (TMRCA ~250 CE). DF105 includes several ancient matches, including multiple Medieval Gaelic samples in Kilteasheen, Roscommon, the Lagore 14 sample, as well as a one culturally Viking Ireland sample in Dublin (Ship Street Great 12), and a Faroe Islander (Faroe 17). None show additional subtypes, though I assume they aren't actually basal DF105 (especially Lagore 14, who lived much later).

Check for new replies

Messages In This Thread
RE: A genetic perspective on the recent demographic history of Ireland and Britain - by Cejo - 04-26-2024, 03:38 PM