Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
(04-20-2024, 09:47 PM)Riverman Wrote:
(04-20-2024, 09:43 PM)ArmandoR1b Wrote: It seems they are only doing a relatively small number of existing kits at a time. Someone posted that the tree updated with about 3,000 haplogroups recently. I still have a lot of male Family Finder matches without a haplogroup but one finally has one and it helps because it's a male line I am interested in. Unless they speed things up I suppose it will take at least several months for all of the male customers with FF to get a haplogroup.

At the current rate, they might work on it well into the next year. The last update was fairly significant, the problem is that they make big pauses in between. I think they have limited resources and can't update the data base and doing new samples simultaneously or something like that.
Well, I have a couple of BigY testers in the pipeline which should be prioritised indeed, but I really wonder about their promises if they simply don't have the capacities to fulfil them in time. Better late than never, but it leaves a bit of a bad taste still.

I'm hopeful that they finish before the end of the year or even in a few months. They have stated the cause of the slowdown. If they can ramp things up then they will be able to get a lot of them completed. It really shouldn't take too many resources to run an automated script to get the Y-DNA SNPs. But if they are at capacity for all of the testing and so on then I can see it taking as long as a full year. I don't have a bad taste for it taking so long. I have a bad taste for them never doing it in the first place when 23andme has been doing it for years but at least they are doing it now.
Riverman and rmstevens2 like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder - by ArmandoR1b - 04-20-2024, 11:56 PM