Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

The Genomic portrait of the Picene culture: new insights into the Italic Iron Age
(03-21-2024, 12:09 AM)R.Rocca Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 10:47 AM)Pylsteen Wrote: On p18, they suggest that five of the R1b-L23 samples were 'basal' L23, that's not something you often see, if its not P312 or Z2103 maybe PF7589,
well, let's see what the data will tell us. Probably more refinement is possible.

PF7589 is below L51, so it cannot be that. Either way, I doubt this "basal" thing holds up when the samples come out.

I find the whole L51xL151 branch(es) interesting. When L52 was found in that lateras  SE Polish CW group of c.2500B, it suggested a reservoir or L51 still existed in Ukraine several centuries after the early CW L51 thrust. That made me feel that a small amount of L51xL11 might have taken the Danube route west too. Perhaps entering Italy from the extreme NW or the Balkans or through Tyrol towards the Veneti area in the bronze age. I remember the old L51* maps that were posted on Anthrogenica having a north/cebtral  Italy/south France kind of distribution. I’d like to see more recent and better resolved maps if they exist. I also recall a very high % found in east Tyrol in one study.  My own feeling is this is a post-beaker wave in terms of its distribution. I can’t help but think they were holed up somewhere like the east Alpine zone or NW Balkans and have routes in some non beaker steppe group. 

I wish someone would bring together in one thread all that we know about non-L151 L51 from ancient and modern DNA.
Manofthehour and Pylsteen like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Genomic portrait of the Picene culture: new insights into the Italic Iron Age - by alanarchae - 03-21-2024, 07:25 PM