Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder
Based on my v2-v3 tests, 23andMe identifies my Y haplogroup as R-M417; they say exactly the same thing for my older brother, based on his v4 results. We have a paternal 1st cousin whose results from 23andMe are shown as R-L1029.

At FTDNA my haplogroup is shown as R-Y137476 -- quite a few steps further down than R-L1029 (let alone R-M417). It's even a step further than FTDNA was saying just a year or so ago (R-YP619).

I doubt that any of my patrilineal male relatives would be classified in either R-619 or R-Y137476 on the basis of anyone's autosomal test, even if it happened to include SNPs on the Y chromosome. It would take something like the Big Y, I'm afraid. But the good news at least is that FTDNA says that

"The man who is the most recent common ancestor of this line is estimated to have been born around 300 CE."

That's 550 years closer even than their estimate for R-YP619, and about 3750 years closer than their estimate for R-M417!
rmstevens2 likes this post
My ancestry is Palatine German - Swiss - Alsatian / British & Irish / Menorcan / French / Indigenous American

Messages In This Thread
RE: Coming Soon: Y-DNA Haplogroups for Family Finder - by geebee-1015 - 03-20-2024, 01:28 PM