Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Germanic lineage arrived from the east?
(03-18-2024, 05:24 PM)Jaska Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 03:04 PM)alanarchae Wrote: I don’t really go for the single origin idea of Germanic. It looks a complex fusion of multiple inputs. The reason it is so imo is that the nordic bronze age ‘captured! a whole bunch of different roots - beaker, single grave, battle axe, comb pot, ex TRB, Baltic elements etc. Now the ancient DNA further demonstrated the blending of multiple groups with multiple roots. And being in a large maritime network would have promoted further blending and linguistic convergence. It was an extremely long lived network too.  personally i’m dubious that the eastern impulse should be viewed as the root of the Germanics linguistically. I think they more likely brought a substantial element to the mixture. And I think there would have been a strong impulse to keep a common emote dialect throughout the nordic brinze area anyway regardless of what subgroup.

Well, cultures and populations always get admixed and therefore have several roots. Language still always has one root (except the rare true mixed languages). There may be of course contacts between languages, and features borrowed from one language to another, but these can never change the taxonomic status of a language. Germanic is a language lineage of its own, one primary branch of the Indo-European language family, and it arrived in Scandinavia from somewhere. Contacts with other languages can help us to find out its expansion route.

I agree it has a basic root. Often placed as the or one of the earliest post-Tocharian branches. Almost certainly rooted in CW variants that settled initially somewhere between Denmark and the east Baltic. However, I suspect that what existed in say 2800-1600BC might have been a bunch of similar but drifted dialects that might have formed from the early PIE-Germanic branching point.So once you start to see admixing in the genetics you might also have seen admixing of a number of related dialects all of which were ultimately rooted in the same branching off point from PIE. The dialects may have been subject to both drift and differing substrate effects. Once they were intermixing and involved in the Nordic Brinze Age network it could have been quite complex imo.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Germanic lineage arrived from the east? - by alanarchae - 03-18-2024, 09:45 PM