Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Evidence for dynastic succession among early Celtic elites
(03-11-2024, 07:12 PM)Cejo Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 06:29 PM)Riverman Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 05:47 PM)Parastais Wrote: Matrilineal dynasties?
Interesting. Always thought IEs were very Patriarchal cultures.

If they find a matrilinear connection between elites in different regions, this might primarily point to these elite women marrying in between these centres of power. On the other hand, if they could prove that three generations had the same mtDNA, but different yDNA each, they might have a point.
I doubt the latter is the case. Consider how many of the big European aristocratic lineages had or still have female Habsburg DNA. That doesn't mean all those houses were materilinear...

Quote:Fabrice E

These include a close biological relationship between two of the richest burial mounds of the Hallstatt culture. Bayesian modelling points to an avuncular relationship between the two individuals, which may suggest a practice of matrilineal dynastic succession in early Celtic elites.
I read this to mean they found an uncle in one rich burial mound, and his sister's child in another, since they called it avuncular. If I'm reading it correctly, that would seem suggestive, but it will definitely be interesting to learn more.

So one dynasty had a male, and in another was his sisters child buried. That just means that elite females were important and we deal with an aristocratic class which did marry among each others. That's obviously not (necessarily) the same as a matrilnear dynastic succession. It just means both males and females came from the same class of aristocratic people. Will be interesting to see how they might or might not differ from the commoners.
Orentil, jamtastic, Manofthehour And 4 others like this post

Messages In This Thread
RE: Evidence for dynastic succession among early Celtic elites - by Riverman - 03-11-2024, 09:02 PM