Hello guest, if you read this it means you are not registered. Click here to register in a few simple steps, you will enjoy all features of our Forum.

Check for new replies
R1b-V1636
Thumbs Up 
Very interesting haplogroup downstream of BY15337 (P-P226>R-M207>R1-M173>R1b-M343>L754>L761>L389>BY15337>V1636).

I just finished creating a Google spreadsheet of all the ancient V1636 results I can find. I'm not ready to share it yet because I want to sort it by age, and I also need to look up some of the samples to find out whether their dates are from c14 or just guesses based on archaeological context. I'm too tired to mess with it anymore tonight, so all that will have to wait.

Anyway, it's interesting how V1636 is all over the steppe with some pretty old Eneolithic results, and then also shows up in Armenia and Anatolia a little later. 

Here is a screenshot of FTDNA Discover's R-V1636 page.

[Image: R1b-V1636-haplogroup-story-in-FTDNA-Disc...b-2024.jpg]

There are 121 SNPs in the V1636 block, so it looks like there was some kind of bottleneck, but maybe further Big Y-700 testing of modern men, and Y-DNA testing of ancient remains, may break of some of that loose and sort V1636 out a bit.
Strider99 likes this post
Let us now praise famous men, and our fathers that begat us.

- Wisdom of Sirach 44:1
I mentioned this on another thread, but it's worth repeating here. The authors of the recent Lazaridis et al (April 2024) preprint, "The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans", see in R1b-V1636 (L389>BY15337>V1636) the key to the spread of Proto-Anatolian from the steppe to Anatolia (modern Turkey).

This is from page 20 of that preprint:

Quote:We thus propose the following hypothesis: that CLV [Caucasus Lower Volga] cline people migrated southwards ca. 4400BCE, or about a millennium before the appearance of the Yamnaya, (admixing with different substratum populations along the way) and then westwards before finally reaching Central Anatolia.

We in fact find Y-chromosome evidence that is consistent with the autosomal evidence. Sporadic instances of the steppe-associated Y-chromosome haplogroup R-V1636 in West Asia occurred at Arslantepe43 in Eastern Anatolia and Kalavan9 in Armenia in the Early Bronze Age (~3300-2500 BCE) among individuals without detectible steppe ancestry45 and these could be remnants of the dilution process. This haplogroup was found in the male individual from Remontnoye, both individuals from Progress-2 5 and two of three males from Berezhnovka, in addition to its occurrence in eleven individuals of the Volga Cline and thus was a prominent lineage of the pre-Yamnaya steppe. Isolated instances have also been found beyond the steppe in Corded Ware individuals from Esperstedt in Germany17 and Gjerrild in Denmark.51

It seems reasonable to me to see in R1b-V1636 a trace of the migration of the Proto-Anatolians from the steppe down into Anatolia, although that would argue for an eastern route over the Caucasus, which seems less practicable than a western route via the Balkans.
Fredduccine, jdean, Strider99 like this post

Here is my V1636 Google spreadsheet. I updated the dating. "[C]alBC" indicates c14-dated stuff. Everything else was either dated from archaeological context or I could not determine how it was dated.

I did not bother sorting everything from oldest to youngest or vice versa.

R1b-BY15337 and Subclades
RBHeadge likes this post

One thing to notice from the April 2024 Lazaridis et al spreadsheet is for sample I26303, where it says "I26303 (Yamnaya brother, sample I26230)". Those two samples are brothers, but what is confusing is the reference to Yamnaya, since in the spreadsheet both samples are given the "Group ID" of "Kazakhstan_Kumsay_EBA". 

For I26303 that appears as "Kazakhstan_Kumsay_EBA_Yamnaya_brother.I26230".

I'm guessing that amounts to two V1636s in Yamnaya, but I guess it will be cleaned up and easier to understand in the final paper.
Fredduccine likes this post

Check for new replies