The GenArchivist Forum
Minor Forum Issues - Printable Version

+- The GenArchivist Forum (https://genarchivist.com)
+-- Forum: Administration (https://genarchivist.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+--- Forum: Forum Support (https://genarchivist.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=169)
+--- Thread: Minor Forum Issues (/showthread.php?tid=5)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Minor Forum Issues - Contemplator - 09-29-2023

Hello. I noticed a few minor issues in the forum and figured I would report them here.

In the registration agreement, there was a typo. See "5. Adittional Privacy Policy" should be "Additional".

Clicking the "View Active Threads" link gives you a 404 error.

The registration email went to my spam folder. Probably not something you can do anything about, but it would be good to keep in mind for new members.

RE: Minor Forum Issues - admin - 09-29-2023

(09-29-2023, 12:47 AM)Contemplator Wrote: Hello. I noticed a few minor issues in the forum and figured I would report them here.

In the registration agreement, there was a typo. See "5. Adittional Privacy Policy" should be "Additional".

Clicking the "View Active Threads" link gives you a 404 error.

The registration email went to my spam folder. Probably not something you can do anything about, but it would be good to keep in mind for new members.

Thank you.

RE: Minor Forum Issues - leonardo - 09-29-2023

Is there a way to follow members and their posts?

RE: Minor Forum Issues - admin - 09-29-2023

(09-29-2023, 07:40 PM)leonardo Wrote: Is there a way to follow members and their posts?

Yes, you can go their profile and click "add to buddy list".

RE: Minor Forum Issues - leonardo - 09-29-2023

Next duumb question (I'm asking so those who follow won't have to Smile ), how do I access the members list?

RE: Minor Forum Issues - admin - 09-30-2023

(09-29-2023, 09:49 PM)leonardo Wrote: Next duumb question (I'm asking so those who follow won't have to Smile ), how do I access the members list?

You mean your friend's list or all registered members list? If you want to see all members registered in the Forum then I had the shortcut removed, but I can add back pretty easily.
For the ones you follow you can go to your profile (User CP) scroll down to Miscellaneous section and click Buddy/Ignore List. 
You can also click on "Open Buddy List" to see a list of added friends 
[Image: Oo9Bf5Y.png]

Edit: there are no dumb questions Smile

RE: Minor Forum Issues - leonardo - 09-30-2023

Yes, thank you, I would like to see a list of all members, so I can find those whom I might wish to follow, or become "buddies" with, as it is listed here. Right now the members are few, and as they post I can find their profile. But, eventually the number of posts and members are going to be such that it will be cumbersome to search for them that way, as opposed to a simple mebers list.

RE: Minor Forum Issues - admin - 09-30-2023

(09-30-2023, 10:20 AM)leonardo Wrote: Yes, thank you, I would like to see a list of all members, so I can find those whom I might wish to follow, or become "buddies" with, as it is listed here. Right now the members are few, and as they post I can find their profile. But, eventually the number of posts and members are going to be such that it will be cumbersome to search for them that way, as opposed to a simple mebers list.

The Member List has been added back:
[Image: oB6MpcP.png]

RE: Minor Forum Issues - rmstevens2 - 09-30-2023

There must be something I'm doing wrong, but sometimes when I make a "new reply" in a thread in which I just recently posted the most recent post, the new reply just gets tacked on to the end of my last post, with just a line between the content of the last post and the new stuff.

I hope that explanation is clear.

What I am trying to do is make a completely new and separate post, not merely edit the last one and add stuff to it.

What am I doing wrong?

RE: Minor Forum Issues - admin - 10-01-2023

(09-30-2023, 10:53 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: There must be something I'm doing wrong, but sometimes when I make a "new reply" in a thread in which I just recently posted the most recent post, the new reply just gets tacked on to the end of my last post, with just a line between the content of the last post and the new stuff.

What I am trying to do is make a completely new and separate post, not merely edit the last one and add stuff to it.

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. That's called post merging. 
Basically, if you make 2 posts close to a certain period of time, it merges with the previous post, making a big post instead of two.

RE: Minor Forum Issues - Mitchell-Atkins - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 01:10 AM)admin Wrote:
(09-30-2023, 10:53 PM)rmstevens2 Wrote: There must be something I'm doing wrong, but sometimes when I make a "new reply" in a thread in which I just recently posted the most recent post, the new reply just gets tacked on to the end of my last post, with just a line between the content of the last post and the new stuff.

What am I doing wrong?

Basically, if you make 2 posts close to a certain period of time, it merges with the previous post, making a big post instead of two.

Is there a way to turn it off?  I ask because I was migrating posts over from the other genarchivist site, and it ended up creating this super long post that few people are going to want to wade through.

Also, I can't edit it anymore because I assume too much time has past...just a couple of hours. There appears to be  narrow window for when a post can be edited.

RE: Minor Forum Issues - AimSmall - 10-01-2023

I was trying to see if I could set something on the post that would enable you to edit it.  I can't find a way.  Perhaps Albruic knows a trick that would allow you to edit your existing posts to break them up.

RE: Minor Forum Issues - admin - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 01:52 AM)Mitchell-Atkins Wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a way to turn it off?  I ask because I was migrating posts over from the other genarchivist site, and it ended up creating this super long post that few people are going to want to wade through. 

Also, I can't edit it anymore because I assume too much time has past...just a couple of hours. There appears to be  narrow window for when a post can be edited.

I turned it off, but didn't find a way to undo the merge...

RE: Minor Forum Issues - rmstevens2 - 10-01-2023

(10-01-2023, 05:43 AM)admin Wrote:
(10-01-2023, 01:52 AM)Mitchell-Atkins Wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

I turned it off, but didn't find a way to undo the merge...

Is that why it now says "[split]" (the word split in brackets) in the title of this thread I started?

[split]The Origin of R1b-L21

Nothing about the thread has changed other than the addition of "[split]" to the title. Sorry to sound like a dummy, but what does "[split]" mean in this case?

RE: Minor Forum Issues - jdean - 10-01-2023

Could do with notifications when folk like a post or reply to it.

Also need notifications for PMs and this Buddy request thing too