The GenArchivist Forum
The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Printable Version

+- The GenArchivist Forum (https://genarchivist.com)
+-- Forum: Human Population Genetics (https://genarchivist.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Forum: Ancient (aDNA) (https://genarchivist.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=181)
+--- Thread: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans (/showthread.php?tid=742)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Archetype0ne - 04-18-2024

Quote:Abstract

The Yamnaya archaeological complex appeared around 3300BCE across the steppes north of the Black and Caspian Seas, and by 3000BCE reached its maximal extent from Hungary in the west to Kazakhstan in the east. To localize the ancestral and geographical origins of the Yamnaya among the diverse Eneolithic people that preceded them, we studied ancient DNA data from 428 individuals of which 299 are reported for the first time, demonstrating three previously unknown Eneolithic genetic clines. First, a "Caucasus-Lower Volga" (CLV) Cline suffused with Caucasus hunter-gatherer (CHG) ancestry extended between a Caucasus Neolithic southern end in Neolithic Armenia, and a steppe northern end in Berezhnovka in the Lower Volga. Bidirectional gene flow across the CLV cline created admixed intermediate populations in both the north Caucasus, such as the Maikop people, and on the steppe, such as those at the site of Remontnoye north of the Manych depression. CLV people also helped form two major riverine clines by admixing with distinct groups of European hunter-gatherers. A "Volga Cline" was formed as Lower Volga people mixed with upriver populations that had more Eastern hunter-gatherer (EHG) ancestry, creating genetically hyper-variable populations as at Khvalynsk in the Middle Volga. A "Dnipro Cline" was formed as CLV people bearing both Caucasus Neolithic and Lower Volga ancestry moved west and acquired Ukraine Neolithic hunter-gatherer (UNHG) ancestry to establish the population of the Serednii Stih culture from which the direct ancestors of the Yamnaya themselves were formed around 4000BCE. This population grew rapidly after 3750-3350BCE, precipitating the expansion of people of the Yamnaya culture who totally displaced previous groups on the Volga and further east, while admixing with more sedentary groups in the west. CLV cline people with Lower Volga ancestry contributed four fifths of the ancestry of the Yamnaya, but also, entering Anatolia from the east, contributed at least a tenth of the ancestry of Bronze Age Central Anatolians, where the Hittite language, related to the Indo-European languages spread by the Yamnaya, was spoken. We thus propose that the final unity of the speakers of the "Proto-Indo-Anatolian" ancestral language of both Anatolian and Indo-European languages can be traced to CLV cline people sometime between 4400-4000 BCE."

The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Archetype0ne - 04-18-2024

[Image: Y0F5fNA.png]

"Pre-Indo-Anatolian languages were spoken by at least some of these diverse ancestors, but living Indo-European languages trace their ongins to the Yamnaya expansion ca. 3300BCE out of (3) and the earlier Indo-Anatolian expansion ca 4400-4000BCE out of (1)Dripro"

[Image: hHJT35C.png]

Quote:The western expansion of the Core Yamnaya also brought them into southeastern Europe; Yamnaya there or other individuals of “high steppe ancestry” can be found as far west and south as Albania and Bulgaria.  6 Many western Yamnaya cluster with the Core Yamnaya, but many  also deviate in the direction of Neolithic and Chalcolithic populations of southeastern and central  Europe (Fig. 4b) and can be modeled with admixture from such populations (Extended Data Table 4). This admixture also took place in the late 4 th millennium BCE (Extended Data Fig. 2c), after the sporadic early Chalcolithic migrations into southeastern Europe from the steppe.36 

It is interesting that after the Don Yamnaya formed they participated little or not at all in the Core  Yamnaya expansion to either the Altai or SE Europe, and thus the Lower Don represented a cul de-sac for the Yamnaya expansion.

Some figures I found interesting:

[Image: VIOhVIn.png]

[Image: C5B9FAj.png]

[Image: 1cgoRxb.png]
[Image: XZjk7lV.png]
[Image: cPWxV1b.png]
[Image: 40RkUwe.png]

Ps: Guess everything is interesting.

Admixture table:

[Image: gyZYL0H.png]

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - old europe - 04-18-2024

(04-18-2024, 07:13 PM)Archetype0ne Wrote:
Quote:The western expansion of the Core Yamnaya also brought them into southeastern Europe; Yamnaya there or other individuals of “high steppe ancestry” can be found as far west and south as Albania and Bulgaria.  6 Many western Yamnaya cluster with the Core Yamnaya, but many  also deviate in the direction of Neolithic and Chalcolithic populations of southeastern and central  Europe (Fig. 4b) and can be modeled with admixture from such populations (Extended Data Table 4). This admixture also took place in the late 4 th millennium BCE (Extended Data Fig. 2c), after the sporadic early Chalcolithic migrations into southeastern Europe from the steppe.36 

It is interesting that after the Don Yamnaya formed they participated little or not at all in the Core  Yamnaya expansion to either the Altai or SE Europe, and thus the Lower Don represented a cul de-sac for the Yamnaya expansion.

Maybe I'm wrong but there is a R1b L51 in the ukranian hunter gather rich Don Yamnaya samples. So maybe noyt a dead end. Also plenty of I L699 in the Dneper Don samples older than the one in the Volga

(04-18-2024, 07:38 PM)old europe Wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but there is a R1b L51 in the ukranian hunter gather rich Don Yamnaya samples. So maybe noyt a dead end. Also plenty of I L699 in the Dneper Don samples older than the one in the Volga

Not quite sure. Its a direct quote. I was searching (ctrl + f) for Albania and that came up, so I posted it recalling the earlier debate in the other thread.

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Awood - 04-19-2024

(04-18-2024, 07:48 PM)Archetype0ne Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 07:38 PM)old europe Wrote: Maybe I'm wrong but there is a R1b L51 in the ukranian hunter gather rich Don Yamnaya samples. So maybe noyt a dead end. Also plenty of I L699 in the Dneper Don samples older than the one in the Volga

Not quite sure. Its a direct quote. I was searching (ctrl + f) for Albania and that came up, so I posted it recalling the earlier debate in the other thread.

Maybe this is different from what I am looking at.  It's Crihana Veche which is in southern Moldova near the border of Romania.

The grave was situated in the central-western sector of the mound, approximately 5.10 m west of the central landmark, at a depth of 0.83 m. The burial chamber was oval-shaped, oriented southeast-northwest, and displayed a step on the northwest, southwest and southeast sides. The step was positioned at a depth of 0.35 m from the level of the burial pit, with a 5 cm deepening towards the edge of the burial pit. The burial chamber was rectangular in shape with rounded corners, measuring 1.05 × 0.65 m. At the bottom level, the pit was displaced about 0.1 m under the northeast wall, thus forming a side niche. Several small bone fragments intensely pigmented with red ochre were discovered in the filling of the pit. The skeletal remains, extremely fragile (fragments of the parietals, temporals and diaphyses of the long bones of the limbs), were attributed to a sub-adult. Age at death: about 12- 14 months (infant). Anthropological sex: indeterminate. Molecular sex: male, Y-haplogroup R1b (R-L51). The burial is attributed to Yamnaya culture.

There is also a L51+ in Catacomb culture in Buzau County.

The deceased was laid in a hole dug deep into the natural ground, consisting of two distinct parts, the access shaft and the arched room (the catacomb proper), both partially destroyed; the first segment was preserved only to a depth of 0.20 m, while the catacomb, almost 1 m. Viewed from the side, Gr. 1 hole has two steps, the first (upper one) represented by the shaft and the second (lower one) marking the catacomb. The maximum depth of the shaft to the current preserved level, which is lower than the ancient level where the funeral hole was dug, was 1.35 m, while that of the catacomb in relation to the same reference point was 1.91 m. The shaft was 1.09 m in diameter, while the catacomb was 2.08 m long and 1.33 m wide. The base of the shaft was +0.56 m higher than the lower part of the catacomb. The arched room plan was bean-shaped. The walls were leaning towards the inside, except for a small portion next to the shaft which was inclined towards the outside. Its bottom was slightly inclined towards the access shaft. It was in this room, closer to the northern side, that the body was placed, lying on the back, head to W-SW 240°, lower limbs E-NE 60°. The left arm was stretched along the body, the right arm, bent at the elbow, was resting on the hip. Under and around the skeleton traces of brownish-red vegetal bedding 6-9 mm thick were identified. Anthropological determinations: female, 55-60 years old, but genetically determined to be a male; gracile skeleton; proto-European phenotypic traits; skeletal stature of approx. 165 cm; dental pathologies; torus auricularis; musculoskeletal stress markers; periosteal bone reactions; double fracture on the left ulna produced antemortem; unintentional reshaping of the cranial vault (flattening of the occipital). C14-AMS date: (DeA-5392) 4008 ± 42 BP/2834 - 2457 cal BC, 95.4% probability. The burial is attributed to the Catacomb culture. His Y-haplogroup was R1b (R-L51), mt-haplogroup K1b2b.

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - VladMC - 04-19-2024

(04-18-2024, 07:38 PM)old europe Wrote:

On the Don, about 3800 BC, Repino was formed, which migrated to both Ukraine and the Volga up to 3300 BC. And those groups that remained on the Don and formed Yamnaya Don transformed into the Catacomb culture and subsequently into the culture of Ivanovbugor.

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - old europe - 04-19-2024

The R1a from Bulgaria has been modeled differently in another part of the paper

Bulgaria_C_ProtoYamnaya

Serbia_IronGates_Mesolithic 17.5%
Usatovo 82.5%

(04-19-2024, 04:56 AM)old europe Wrote: The R1a from Bulgaria has been modeled differently in another part of the paper

Bulgaria_C_ProtoYamnaya

Serbia_IronGates_Mesolithic 17.5%
Usatovo 82.5%

I was just asking myself

Usatovo is modeld as

45% Progress
55% Cucuteni

now if you add up to Progress something like 20% WHG you get a population that is very similar to Sredni Stog. So maybe the WHG in Durlankulak it is just an old trick by Harvard to hide the Sredni Stog origin of R1a M417.....

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - ambron - 04-19-2024

Arza said...

Distance to: Bulgaria_Durankulak:I1456
0.02533385 Polish_Kashubian
0.02982380 Polish
0.03384838 Sorb_Niederlausitz
0.03555244 Czech
0.03637910 Polish_Silesian

https://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2024/03/high-resolution-stuff.html?showComment=1713446224009#c619823091573718610

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Archetype0ne - 04-19-2024

I wonder how do we interpret this?

"Pre-Indo-Anatolian languages were spoken by at least some of these diverse ancestors, but living Indo-European languages trace their ongins to the Yamnaya expansion ca. 3300BCE out of (3) and the earlier Indo-Anatolian expansion ca 4400-4000BCE out of (1)"

Does the <"out of" one> have the meaning of "bar"/"except". And if so would this mean that Armenian, Greek and Albanian (3) and Anatolian IE (1) somehow diversified from the stem pre Yamnaya?

Edit: I also wonder what upcoming paper Kristiansen was referring to on the Razib Khan podcast:

Quote: Transcript of conversation between Khan and Kristiansen:

Khan: “And then with Albanian, I read that paper and it seemed like Albanian/Illyrian is probably directly Yamnaya. Where do you stand on Greek? Is Greek….ah…”

Kristiansen: “Well, well, that is, of course, the $100 dollar question. We have the answer to that and we are about to publish it. We are still working…we are finalizing, fine tuning the manuscript for the Bronze Age Genomic and Linguistic History of the Bronze Age Mediterranean and we have an answer to that.

~25min mark:

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Jaska - 04-19-2024

(04-19-2024, 11:29 AM)Archetype0ne Wrote: I wonder how do we interpret this?

"Pre-Indo-Anatolian languages were spoken by at least some of these diverse ancestors, but living Indo-European languages trace their ongins to the Yamnaya expansion ca. 3300BCE out of (3) and the earlier Indo-Anatolian expansion ca 4400-4000BCE out of (1)"

Does the <"out of" one> have the meaning of "bar"/"except". And if so would this mean that Armenian, Greek and Albanian (3) and Anatolian IE (1) somehow diversified from the stem pre Yamnaya?

To me it looks clear: all the living IE languages, including Armenian, Greek, and Albanian, stem from 3, and only Anatolian stems from 1. It means that after the phase 1, Pre-Proto-Anatolian branched off, and only after the phase 3, all the other branches (possibly excl. Tocharian, which is not living any longer) branched off.

RE: The Genetic Origin of the Indo-Europeans - Archetype0ne - 04-19-2024

(04-19-2024, 11:38 AM)Jaska Wrote:

To me it looks clear: all the living IE languages, including Armenian, Greek, and Albanian, stem from 3, and only Anatolian stems from 1. It means that after the phase 1, Pre-Proto-Anatolian branched off, and only after the phase 3, all the other branches (possibly excl. Tocharian, which is not living any longer) branched off.

Ah... thanks. That makes much more sense now.

(04-19-2024, 11:38 AM)Jaska Wrote:

so basically their take that area number 1 is the urheimat is based esclusively on the anatolian language  split.
Well anatolian language arriving from the balkans ( and later on) would have been brought by a population that was basically nearly 100% EEF so quite difficult to spot them.

Lordy these R1bV136 folks are the greatest language teachers in history. Despite being a very tiny minority among every branch of IE living languages they are considered by the authors as the sole creators of PIE. Look a lot like BS to me frankly